Day Four

Title:Day Four
Authors:
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd
Tags:to-read, 2016, women-authors

Day Four: A Novel by Sarah Lotz (2015)

English (10)  Finnish (1)  All languages (11)
This started off really good but then the last 100 or so pages flushed it all down the toilet. Plus that ending wth was up with that hot mess of an ending?! Ugh. ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
I liked this book don't get me wrong but I liked The Three more. I loved the alternative way of telling the story in the previous book and although that appeared again at the end of Day Four I would have loved to have seen it all the way through again. That said it was another story wrapped up in an enigma. A disabled, floating prison rapidly filling up with cess, what's not to love. I've never been on a cruise and I certainly never want to now (number 5 better not be about trains otherwise I'm never travelling again). There are links to the first book but as the author herself says in the Q&A at the back of the book you can actually read them in any order. I may have to reread them the other way round as I still felt there were a lot of unanswered questions. Bring on the next one. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
A cruise ship goes missing, and it doesn't appear to the passengers as though anything is being done to find it or fix it - sounds like a promising premise for a good horror story. Unfortunately, the whole thing is kind of silly and the final chapter is nonsensical. Nevertheless, it was entertaining in a superficial way. The author does seem to have enough talent to craft a really thoughtful thriller should she decide to make the effort - I hope she does. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Nov 28, 2016 |
DAYS 1, 2, 3
Cruise is relatively uneventful.

I picked this book up shortly before I went on a cruise, but decided to leave it until I was back home since it is a thriller/horror novel set on a cruise ship. However, I didn't find it either thrilling or frightening although the premise is interesting, so I think I would have coped with reading it on board after all. "Day Four" is the follow-up to "The Three", but the author's afterward said they can be read in either order so I will see if the library has a copy. ( )
  isabelx | Aug 22, 2016 |
Day Four is an action/suspense mystery, Following the perspective of a few key passengers upon a cruise liner. It reads more like a horror novel, and to be honest, the one thing that kept me reading chapter after chapter was the freaky experiences that were strategically placed at the end of each chapter. I have not read the previous novel, The Three, and so I feel like there were certain elements that were lost upon me. I really enjoyed the premise and some of the material that was reminiscent of some of my favorite horror authors. However, I feel like overall it lacked an emotional charge and it felt somewhat lackluster. ( )
  BrittanyLyn | Aug 4, 2016 |
...as every short chapter ends with a bang (sometimes literally), the novel begins to feel both formulaic and unfocused. The six or seven characters who drive the narrative (the chapters rotate among them) aren’t interesting enough to carry the reader with them, nor is the mystery deep enough to sustain or encourage their development.
added by Lemeritus | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 4, 2015)

Sarah Lotzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mäkelä, J. PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pagel, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dad, Alan Walters,

(aka The Doc)
Welcome on board The Beautiful Dreamer!
DAYS 1, 2, 3

Cruise is relatively uneventful.

Hundreds of pleasure-seekers stream aboard The Beautiful Dreamer cruise ship for five days of cut-price fun in the Caribbean sun. On the fourth day, disaster strikes: smoke roils out of the engine room, and the ship is stranded in the Gulf of Mexico. Soon supplies run low, a virus plagues the ship, and there are whispered rumors that the cabins on the lower decks are haunted by shadowy figures. Irritation escalates to panic, the crew loses control, factions form, and violent chaos erupts among the survivors. When, at last, the ship is spotted drifting off the coast of Key West, the world's press reports it empty. But the gloomy headlines may be covering up an even more disturbing reality.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,401,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible