Bryant & May and the Burning Man by…

Bryant & May and the Burning Man

by Christopher Fowler

I came across these books by accident. This is the second Bryant and May I have read. Great stories, great characters. Love them ( )
  scot2 | Sep 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was another book that I struggled to get into. I generally liked the relationship between Bryant & May, but didn't really enjoy the story. The pace seemed slow. This may have been a product of right book, wrong time and if I go back and pick it up again it might click. I'm glad I sampled it but I don't know if I will try it again and doubt I'd read more in the series.
  tottman | Feb 11, 2017 |
This is a different book and one of a series on the eponymous detectives. They and the unit they work in are eccentric and different.

I started this book slowly and took a while to get into it but I think that was just down to me.

The setting is London and mostly in the square mile - aka the City or the financial district. The book is replete with the history of London and Londoner's courtesy of one of the main two characters. It also brings quite a bit of recent historical social context to the story - think of the 1 v 99%. One bug I have is the user likes to use obscure words - okay I'm duly impressed but unsure if it's at all helpful - even if very accurate - so again I'm torn.

The story is quite a bit different than most thrillers and nicely paced and enjoyable. I'd recommend reading it - unsure if I'll read others i the series. ( )
  martinhughharvey | Sep 23, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've read and enjoyed a few of the "Peculiar Crimes Unit" mysteries in the past, and this latest book in the series certainly lived up to my expectations. There are quite a few references to previous events and characters in the series. I haven't read all of the previous books and didn't find that it took away from my enjoyment of the plot. Not sure if it would give away spoilers for events in early books, though. As always, this Peculiar Crimes Unit mystery is very well-written and filled insight into British history and politics. This book ends with quite the cliffhanger, and I look forward to seeing what awaits for Bryant and May in the next installment of the series. ( )
  blueraine_91 | Jun 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don't like to jump into the middle of a series and thus book is the perfect example of why. I kept feeling I was missing things, aspects of relationships, things said that I didn't fully get. Bottom line, I can't say I love this book and that is where I put the blame. That being said, I also did not live this one enough to go back and read all the previous ones. ( )
  caitemaire | Apr 4, 2016 |
'If you do not want to dwell with evil-livers, do not live in London'
Richard of Devizes, 1177
'I see no reason why gunpowder treason should ever be forgot'
Traditional
For my mother, Kath

No case is too curious for Arthur Bryant and John May, London s most ingenious detectives. But with their beloved city engulfed in turmoil, they ll have to work fast to hold a sinister killer s feet to the fire. In the week before Guy Fawkes Night, London s peaceful streets break out in sudden unrest. Enraged by a scandal involving a corrupt financier accused of insider trading, demonstrators are rioting outside the Findersbury Private Bank, chanting, marching, and growing violent. But when someone hurls a Molotov cocktail at the bank s front door, killing a homeless man on its steps, Bryant, May, and the rest of the Peculiar Crimes Unit team are called in. Is this an act of protest gone terribly wrong? Or a devious, premeditated murder? Their investigation heats up when a second victim is reported dead in similar fiery circumstances. May discovers the latest victim has ties to the troubled bank, and Bryant refuses to believe this is mere coincidence. As the riots grow more intense and the body count climbs, Bryant and May hunt for a killer who s adopting incendiary methods of execution, on a snaking trail of clues with roots in London s history of rebellion, anarchy, and harsh justice. Now, they ll have to throw themselves in the line of fire before the entire investigation goes up in smoke.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Christopher Fowler's book Bryant & May and the Burning Man was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,123,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible