Death Comes as Epiphany by Sharan Newman

Death Comes as Epiphany (1993)

by Sharan Newman

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
I never thought I'd find a mystery set in the Medieval era that would be so plainly boring, but I have. And it wasn't just boring, it was painfully bad.

The main character is naive and full of bad choices, even though she's supposed to pass as oh! so intelligent and oh! so ahead of her times. However, in every interaction of hers, she comes across as docile, avoiding conflict with all those who plainly tell her they have the right to control her choices and her life. Her relatives, from her parents to her sister, her uncle, her brother, everyone is a complete boring brute. The only character who is remotely acceptable is Edgar. The mystery itself is not interesting at all, the twists are laughable, and I am pretty certain that the dialogue is far from the way in which French people of the era used to talk. It was outrageous to come across so many modern idioms, it was cringe-worthy.

The only elements that kept me reading until the end were Eloise and Abelárd's presence and the descriptions of Medieval France. I had high expectations for this novel, judging by the reviews, but I suppose it wasn't for me. It goes without saying that I will not attempt to start the following installments in the series. ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
There are several medieval mystery series that I like a lot, but this book does not entice me to read any further in this one. Overly complex and not happily resolved plot, somewhat unsympathetic main character, far too much screaming and yelling, and creepy sexual innuendoes. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
fiction, mystery, historical, medieval, 12th century, France ( )
  fieldsli | Aug 10, 2016 |
This is a worthy rival to the Brother Cadfel mysteries, and Sharan Newman has researched her area both spatially and chronogically, very well. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 8, 2014 |
Set in 12th century France, this features Catherine, a young novice and scholar at the Convent of the Paraclete, who is sent by the Abbess Heloise on a perilous mission to find out who is trying to destroy the reputation of the convent and, through it, that of the abbess’s onetime lover and patron, theologian Peter Abelard.

I was uncomfortable with the amount of religious rigmarole, the “right’ of the church, and the solution: madness – or something darker?

Read this if: you would enjoy a mystery more because of the religious element, rather than despite it. 3 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | May 12, 2013 |
Catherine was working in the vegetable garden with the over novices on the morning Sister Ursula's family came to take her away.

Catherine LeVendeur is a young scholar come to conquer her sin of pride at the Convent of the Paraclete, famous for learning, prayer, and its abbess, the fabled Heloise.

When a manuscript the convent produced for the great Abbe Suger disappears, rumors surface saying the book contains sacrilegious passages and will be used to condemn Heloise's famous lover, Peter Abelard.

To save her Order, and protect all she holds dear, Catherine must find the manuscript and discover who altered the text. She will risk disgrace, the wrath of her family and the Church, and confront an evil older than Time itself--and, if she isn't careful, lose her immortal soul.

With Death Comes As Epiphany, the first in the Catherine LeVendeur mystery series, medievalist Sharan Newman has woven dark mystery and sparkling romance into a fascinating and richly detailed tapestry of everyday life in twelfth-century France, and one of the most moving love stories of all time: Abelard and Heloise.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:13 -0400)

Catherine LeVendeur, the most promising student in Heloise's convent, Paraclete, has the responsibility of discovering who has altered the text of a psalter given the the Abbot of Suger during the 12th century.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,161,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible