Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

A Wizard of Earthsea (1968)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (1)

11,288259343 (4)1 / 730
Recently added byrena75, RekhainBC, private library, Brant_Klassen, Mairsiedoats, cjbanning, Grant-Ross, LadyNell, TSS2017, annathecrow
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip (BeckyJP)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Sword & Sorcery at it's finest.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (wosret)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (MarcusH)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (spiphany)
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (andomck)
    andomck: Magic systems based on language . One is the secret names of things, the other is secrets itself.
    Tales of Nevèrÿon by Samuel R. Delany (Anonymous user)
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (andomck)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (andomck)
    The Magicians: A Novel by Lev Grossman (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two different schools of magic
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Othemts)

English (253)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (259)
It's been such a long time since I've read this volume of the original trilogy that while everything was familiar, I still didn't know specifically what would happen next. It still asks difficult questions and doesn't claim the answers. ( )
  quondame | Jan 31, 2019 |
Wow - this got to me. At first I thought this might feel kind of dull despite its legendary status, because the writing style is very old school fantasy - but the prose was sort of hypnotic, and by the end I was so enraptured and moved by the whole thing. I'm so excited to read the sequels. ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
This this the first book of the famous Earthsea cycle, initially written as a stand-alone YA fantasy novel. When I read it for the first time (in Russian translation as a teen in the 90s) I was awestruck. This was one of the earliest fantasy books I’ve read, so it opened a new genre foe me. Re-reading it now I still think that it is a must read for all fantasy fans (even more than the LotR in my opinion) but from those times a lot of fine fantasy novels were written.
The story follows an early life of a boy, who is destined to became one of the greatest wizards and depicts his years from his birth and early childhood in a small village to his studies in the special mage academy to his first quest across the known universe. The book is extremely poetic.
An interesting side note: [a:Ursula K. Le Guin|874602|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1244291425p2/874602.jpg]made the protagonist dark-skinned in order to break both prevalence of white guys in fantasy and try to break possible prejudices of readers (usually whites those days) toward other races but putting them in in the MC pace. On the first read I haven’t actually registered it and if asked would have answered that the MC were white. It is maybe because I never lived in a country with great divides between cultures or just plain inattentiveness.
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
An uninspired tale about a promising sorceror ... Bog standard fantasy that is a dime a dozen. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
I re-read this recently and II was struck by how much if felt like Tolkien to me, in the sense that Le Guin immediately created her own vibrant, authentic feeling world within just a few pages. Locations, language, people, all of it immediately shows the hand of a real master world builder. For once, despite not having read this in probably 30 years, a lot of the story came right back to me, though some of it I had not forgotten.

For those not familiar with this novel, this is the story of a young man, sometimes called Sparrowhawk, who was born and trained to be a wizard in the islands of Earthsea. It follows him from his early days on the mountain island of Gont to the wizard's school on Roke and his adventures after. Unlike many contemporary fantasy novels, it bears absolutely no resemblance to J, K. Rowling's novels.

If there is one criticism of this book, it is the ending. It felt a little flat and abrupt to me. No wizards throwing his opponent down from the mountain and smiting it, none of that. Still, a great book. Well written, a good story with mystery and adventure and a few great characters. There's a lot of mystery in this book and that felt just right. ( )
  Karlstar | Dec 14, 2018 |

Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saunders, Micksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight
on the empty sky.
—The Creation of Éa
To my brothers
Clifton, Ted, Karl
The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.
The wise man is one who never sets himself apart from other living things, whether they have speech or not, and in later years he strove long to learn what can be learned, in silence, from the eyes of animals, the flight of birds, the great slow gestures of trees.
It is very hard for evil to take hold of the unconsenting soul.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553383043, Paperback)

Often compared to Tolkien's Middle-earth or Lewis's Narnia, Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea is a stunning fantasy world that grabs quickly at our hearts, pulling us deeply into its imaginary realms. Four books (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, and Tehanu) tell the whole Earthsea cycle--a tale about a reckless, awkward boy named Sparrowhawk who becomes a wizard's apprentice after the wizard reveals Sparrowhawk's true name. The boy comes to realize that his fate may be far more important than he ever dreamed possible. Le Guin challenges her readers to think about the power of language, how in the act of naming the world around us we actually create that world. Teens, especially, will be inspired by the way Le Guin allows her characters to evolve and grow into their own powers.

In this first book, A Wizard of Earthsea readers will witness Sparrowhawk's moving rite of passage--when he discovers his true name and becomes a young man. Great challenges await Sparrowhawk, including an almost deadly battle with a sinister creature, a monster that may be his own shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

A boy grows to manhood while attempting to subdue the evil he unleashed on the world as an apprentice to the Master Wizard.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,454,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible