A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle,…

A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) (original 1968; edition 2004)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

9,518202304 (4.01)1 / 632
Member:aaronius
Title:A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1)
Authors:Ursula K. Le Guin
Info:Spectra (2004), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:epic fantasy, coming of age, magic, responsibility, nautical, map

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Author) (1968)

The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip (BeckyJP)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Sword & Sorcery at it's finest.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (wosret)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (MarcusH)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (spiphany)
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.
    Tales of Nevèrÿon by Samuel R. Delany (Anonymous user)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two different schools of magic
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Othemts)

English (196)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (202)
A re-read. Actually, I’ve probably read the trilogy a couple of dozen times, but it’s been long enough that many of the elements felt fresh.
This time, looking at the book analytically, what struck me most:
First, whether it’s a natural resonance or a direct shaping, LeGuin has deeply affected the way I view the world, and my most deeply-held feelings of ethics. (Earthsea and LoTR were probably my most-read children’s books, and while Tolkien is glorious and wonderful, and gives the reader that sense of ‘something beyond,’ LeGuin, while no less wonderful, is quietly practical, earthily grounded, concentrating on the interior, the sense of self and one’s place in the world.
Second: Her prose is just amazing. It’s not what in vogue right now. (Or even what was in vogue in the 60’s, when this was written.) I think she was consciously harking back to 19th-century writers such as Howard Pyle. The language is spare and elegant, elevated yet accessible – and it leaves room between the lines for the imagination.
Also – though much less importantly – I’d forgotten what an annoying and arrogant person Ged was as a kid! Probably because when I read this first, I was quite similar. Hopefully I’ve grown a bit since then…
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
LeGuin is a true master of fantasy! This series stands out as a wonderful coming of age story for all ages. The poignancy in these books is almost physically devastating at times. She writes a truly heroic, timeless legend. Like many other great works of fantasy, it can be read on many levels. On the story-level alone, she succeeds magnificently. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I have re-read this a few times, but the first time stands out in my memory. It was so fascinating. ( )
  AngelaGustafson | Jan 25, 2016 |
I thought I would like this book more then I did. I thought it was a classic in the fantasy genre, but I found they story wordy and tedious for an under 200 page book. Some of the concepts were interesting and that is why I rounded up to 3 stars. The beginning was decent, but then I found myself struggling through the middle and into the end. I just wasn't compelled to keep reading and I didn't have an emotional connection to the main character. When he lost his confidence I lost my interest in him. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
The most thrilling, wise and beautiful children's novel ever, it is written in prose as taut and clean as a ship's sail. Every word is perfect, like the spells Ged has to master. It poses the deep questions about life, death, power and responsibility that children need answering.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Amanda Craig (Sep 24, 2003)

Guin, Ursula K. LeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saunders, Micksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brothers
Clifton, Ted, Karl
The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.
If you want the LibraryThing "Series" function to work correctly, please use the syntax "Title of series (number within series)"; that is, place the sequence number within parentheses.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553383043, Paperback)

Often compared to Tolkien's Middle-earth or Lewis's Narnia, Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea is a stunning fantasy world that grabs quickly at our hearts, pulling us deeply into its imaginary realms. Four books (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, and Tehanu) tell the whole Earthsea cycle--a tale about a reckless, awkward boy named Sparrowhawk who becomes a wizard's apprentice after the wizard reveals Sparrowhawk's true name. The boy comes to realize that his fate may be far more important than he ever dreamed possible. Le Guin challenges her readers to think about the power of language, how in the act of naming the world around us we actually create that world. Teens, especially, will be inspired by the way Le Guin allows her characters to evolve and grow into their own powers.

In this first book, A Wizard of Earthsea readers will witness Sparrowhawk's moving rite of passage--when he discovers his true name and becomes a young man. Great challenges await Sparrowhawk, including an almost deadly battle with a sinister creature, a monster that may be his own shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

A boy grows to manhood while attempting to subdue the evil he unleashed on the world as an apprentice to the Master Wizard.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,239,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible