A Wizard of Earthsea by URSULA K. LE GUIN

A Wizard of Earthsea (original 1968; edition 1994)

by URSULA K. LE GUIN

9,943215285 (4)1 / 646
Member:wagner.sarah35
Title:A Wizard of Earthsea
Authors:URSULA K. LE GUIN
Info:Puffin (1994), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, young adult, adventure, Earthsea, wizards, magic, dragons, coming of age, 2012

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (1968)

The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip (BeckyJP)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Sword & Sorcery at it's finest.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (wosret)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (MarcusH)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (spiphany)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.
    Tales of Nevèrÿon by Samuel R. Delany (Anonymous user)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two different schools of magic
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Othemts)

English (209)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (215)
Fantasy world of Earthsea is an excellent introduction to classic science fiction before Middle Earth or Hogwarts. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Sep 21, 2016 |
I was an adult before I became hooked on reading science fiction and fantasy, so there are a lot of classic books and authors I’ve still never read. Until a day and a half ago, Ursula Le Guin was one of those authors.

The story is about a boy named Ged who, we’re told in the first paragraph, will become one of the greatest wizards of Earthsea. We meet him just before he discovers he has magical abilities, and we follow him for several years. Although Ged is good-hearted in many ways, he has a strong prideful streak which sometimes leads him to make bad decisions. One of those decisions causes some serious trouble that he has to deal with.

I really enjoyed this story. It had a lot of familiar plot elements, but the book was written in 1968 so they were likely new at the time. They’re also things I tend to enjoy as long as they’re written well, and I thought this book was written very well. I liked Ged a lot, particularly as he grew older, and I liked the way he embraced his magical abilities and was all gung-ho about learning everything he could. Often characters like this in other books have a meeker and more timid reaction, so Ged’s reaction was fun even though sometimes he made me want to yell, “Noooo, don’t do that!”

There were other interesting characters in the book also, like his friend Vetch and the wizard Ogion. I wanted to see more page time for those characters, and I wanted to see Ged’s relationship with those characters fleshed out better. The author tells us about Ged’s bond with these characters, and we see the evidence of it in events that happen afterward, but we really aren’t shown the development of those relationships. The book is only about 180 pages, and I would extend that complaint to some other aspects of the story – in general I just wanted a little more meat and detail. That’s my only real complaint about this book, although I guess it’s better to be left wanting more than wanting less.

This book told a complete story, but I look forward to seeing what happens next in Earthsea. I plan to start the next book later today. ( )
  YouKneeK | Sep 10, 2016 |
Not much to say about this, it's a classic, and I've read it many times since I was a child. But today I was sick with the flu, so curled up in bed and I listened to the Harlan Ellison audiobook, with the author reading the intro and epilogue.

I adore Harlan Ellison, not just as an author, he's absolutely my favourite audiobook narrator, and I'm intimately familiar with the book, so this was like comfort food for the ears, audio chicken soup. Can't recommend it enough.

So consider this less a review of the book (which truly does deserve it's "classic" epithet) and more of a rave review of this particular audiobook version. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
I'm not sure why I disliked this so much. I normally love fantasy and this was highly recommended but wow - I was so BORED.
  KnivesBoone | Jul 29, 2016 |
I had some trouble joining Le Guin in Ged's world, but the finishing climax made the effort worthwhile. Everyone has to wrestle with their shadow-demons. ( )
  kcshankd | Jul 25, 2016 |
The most thrilling, wise and beautiful children's novel ever, it is written in prose as taut and clean as a ship's sail. Every word is perfect, like the spells Ged has to master. It poses the deep questions about life, death, power and responsibility that children need answering.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Amanda Craig (Sep 24, 2003)

Le Guin, Ursula K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saunders, Micksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brothers
Clifton, Ted, Karl
The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.
If you want the LibraryThing "Series" function to work correctly, please use the syntax "Title of series (number within series)"; that is, place the sequence number within parentheses.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553383043, Paperback)

Often compared to Tolkien's Middle-earth or Lewis's Narnia, Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea is a stunning fantasy world that grabs quickly at our hearts, pulling us deeply into its imaginary realms. Four books (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, and Tehanu) tell the whole Earthsea cycle--a tale about a reckless, awkward boy named Sparrowhawk who becomes a wizard's apprentice after the wizard reveals Sparrowhawk's true name. The boy comes to realize that his fate may be far more important than he ever dreamed possible. Le Guin challenges her readers to think about the power of language, how in the act of naming the world around us we actually create that world. Teens, especially, will be inspired by the way Le Guin allows her characters to evolve and grow into their own powers.

In this first book, A Wizard of Earthsea readers will witness Sparrowhawk's moving rite of passage--when he discovers his true name and becomes a young man. Great challenges await Sparrowhawk, including an almost deadly battle with a sinister creature, a monster that may be his own shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

A boy grows to manhood while attempting to subdue the evil he unleashed on the world as an apprentice to the Master Wizard.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,159,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible