A Wizard of Earthsea by URSULA K. LE GUIN

A Wizard of Earthsea (original 1968; edition 1994)

by URSULA K. LE GUIN

8,744172346 (4.02)1 / 514
Member:wagner.sarah35
Title:A Wizard of Earthsea
Authors:URSULA K. LE GUIN
Info:Puffin (1994), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, young adult, adventure, Earthsea, wizards, magic, dragons, coming of age, 2012

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (1968)

1960s (157)
    The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip (BeckyJP)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Sword & Sorcery at it's finest.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (wosret)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (MarcusH)
    The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (spiphany)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.

English (168)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (174)
Ged is no ordinary person. He's a wizard. But after falling into the temptations of glory and power, Ged must run from a dark shadow. It's a coming-of-age story for a wizard.

Well, I say it's a coming-of-age story, but it isn't a typical one. When I hear "coming-of-age", I think of a really young kid who goes through multiple chapters being a clumsy idiot until finally they mature through some quest. And yeah, this book has some of that (which is why I give it that label in the first place), but for the most part... the main character feels older for the majority of the book. It's refreshing and interesting.

The plot transitions well, even if it does seem to meander at some time without clear progression. But that's the style of this book, I think. But it still has a good balance of action and pondering thoughts. It doesn't drag.

Fairly short for a novel, but very well written. It is one of those rare books where description and telling-not-showing reigns supreme. But it works. This book actually reminded me a lot of Patricia McKillip's Riddle-Master series for some reason. Little dialogue, but beautiful descriptions and emotions.

3.5 stars rounded up. I would reread this again I think.
Recommended for those who like Patricia McKillip and quietly dark books with a lot of introspective moments.
-note-
The entire series is worth reading. Go for it. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Such a beautifully written story. I wish I had read it years earlier, but I'm glad I finally did read it. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
I think the slow pace was not for me at this time. Really struggled to read it. I felt that even though a lot happened - NOTHING happened! Too slow for me.
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This plot was cool enough, but it didn't move quickly enough. I never got past page 75 because it just didn't hold my attention. People may compare her to Tolkein and Rowling, but they definitely did something she didn't! ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
The writing was beautiful and the world building interesting, but the pace was slow and the story clearly sexist.

A Wizard of Earthsea is a classic fantasy story about a Ged, a great sorcerer who makes a mistake when he’s a student. His mistake unleashes a terrible and unnamed shadow creature, which will destroy him if it can and then wreck havoc upon the world. The story’s reminiscent of a fable or fairy tale. The writing’s lyrical, and characters tend to be simplistically described. As other reviewers have pointed out, Le Guin tends to tell instead of show. I didn’t have too much of a problem with this aspect – for me, it added to the fable-like feeling of the story.

My biggest problem with A Wizard of Earthsea is that it’s openly sexist. Magic is explicitly only for men, and if a woman’s using magic, she’s clearly evil and ineffective:

“Weak as women’s magic” (page 5)

“Wicked as women’s magic” (page 6)

The few female characters present are primarily evil - Serret and Ged’s aunt for instance. Yarrow’s the only notably good female character, and she’s Ged’s best friend’s little sister who shows up in the second to last chapter. Her role is to look sweet and ask Ged questions. She’s described as beautiful but stupid:

Spoken by her brother: “This is my sister, the youngest of us, prettier than I am you see, but much less clever” (page 169)
Spoken by Yarrow herself: “I wish I could truly understand what you tell me. I am too stupid” (page 177)

All in all, it’s a rather vile image. The only good women are pretty, powerless, and stupid. They serve their men and don’t take actions of their own. I’m given to understand that this changes later in the series. The second book for instance, has a female protagonist. However, don’t expect to find any good female characters or even a book with female characters present in the plot in A Wizard of Earthsea.

The majority of characters do have dark skin, which makes it atypical, especially for a fantasy book published in the 1960s. While this is laudable, I’d have trouble recommending this book to anyone because of the prevalent sexism. ( )
  pwaites | Jul 11, 2014 |
The most thrilling, wise and beautiful children's novel ever, it is written in prose as taut and clean as a ship's sail. Every word is perfect, like the spells Ged has to master. It poses the deep questions about life, death, power and responsibility that children need answering.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Amanda Craig (Sep 24, 2003)

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brothers
Clifton, Ted, Karl
The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.
If you want the LibraryThing "Series" function to work correctly, please use the syntax "Title of series (number within series)"; that is, place the sequence number within parentheses.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553383043, Paperback)

Often compared to Tolkien's Middle-earth or Lewis's Narnia, Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea is a stunning fantasy world that grabs quickly at our hearts, pulling us deeply into its imaginary realms. Four books (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, and Tehanu) tell the whole Earthsea cycle--a tale about a reckless, awkward boy named Sparrowhawk who becomes a wizard's apprentice after the wizard reveals Sparrowhawk's true name. The boy comes to realize that his fate may be far more important than he ever dreamed possible. Le Guin challenges her readers to think about the power of language, how in the act of naming the world around us we actually create that world. Teens, especially, will be inspired by the way Le Guin allows her characters to evolve and grow into their own powers.

In this first book, A Wizard of Earthsea readers will witness Sparrowhawk's moving rite of passage--when he discovers his true name and becomes a young man. Great challenges await Sparrowhawk, including an almost deadly battle with a sinister creature, a monster that may be his own shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:24 -0400)

A boy grows to manhood while attempting to subdue the evil he unleashed on the world as an apprentice to the Master Wizard.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,326,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible