A Wizard of Earthsea by URSULA K. LE GUIN

A Wizard of Earthsea (original 1968; edition 1994)

by URSULA K. LE GUIN

8,802176343 (4.02)1 / 541
Member:wagner.sarah35
Title:A Wizard of Earthsea
Authors:URSULA K. LE GUIN
Info:Puffin (1994), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, young adult, adventure, Earthsea, wizards, magic, dragons, coming of age, 2012

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (1968)

1960s (157)
    The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip (BeckyJP)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Sword & Sorcery at it's finest.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (wosret)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (MarcusH)
    The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (spiphany)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.

English (170)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (176)
It was quite a lovely bildungsroman encased in a fantasy world. I enjoyed the characters, but I felt like, often, the plot was a bit skippy and jumped a lot from one place to the other (often skipping months or years in only a few sentences), however, I also think that it worked for what Le Guin was trying to accomplish with her novel. I am not a huge fan of the fantasy genre, bu I really rather enjoyed this novel and am interested in looking at other books that Le Guin has written. ( )
  CSTaylor24 | Dec 5, 2014 |
A Wizard of Earthsea tells the tale of a young mage named Ged who was training as an apprentice wizard. It’s the first book in a series of five novels and quite a number of short stories. The story follows a fairly traditional Hero’s Journey, complete with a quest and the fight against evil.
I loved the world of Earthsea as a kid.
Read the full review here: www.ravenoak.net ( )
  kaonevar | Nov 12, 2014 |
Ged is no ordinary person. He's a wizard. But after falling into the temptations of glory and power, Ged must run from a dark shadow. It's a coming-of-age story for a wizard.

Well, I say it's a coming-of-age story, but it isn't a typical one. When I hear "coming-of-age", I think of a really young kid who goes through multiple chapters being a clumsy idiot until finally they mature through some quest. And yeah, this book has some of that (which is why I give it that label in the first place), but for the most part... the main character feels older for the majority of the book. It's refreshing and interesting.

The plot transitions well, even if it does seem to meander at some time without clear progression. But that's the style of this book, I think. But it still has a good balance of action and pondering thoughts. It doesn't drag.

Fairly short for a novel, but very well written. It is one of those rare books where description and telling-not-showing reigns supreme. But it works. This book actually reminded me a lot of Patricia McKillip's Riddle-Master series for some reason. Little dialogue, but beautiful descriptions and emotions.

3.5 stars rounded up. I would reread this again I think.
Recommended for those who like Patricia McKillip and quietly dark books with a lot of introspective moments.
-note-
The entire series is worth reading. Go for it. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Such a beautifully written story. I wish I had read it years earlier, but I'm glad I finally did read it. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
I think the slow pace was not for me at this time. Really struggled to read it. I felt that even though a lot happened - NOTHING happened! Too slow for me.
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
The most thrilling, wise and beautiful children's novel ever, it is written in prose as taut and clean as a ship's sail. Every word is perfect, like the spells Ged has to master. It poses the deep questions about life, death, power and responsibility that children need answering.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Amanda Craig (Sep 24, 2003)

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brothers
Clifton, Ted, Karl
The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.
If you want the LibraryThing "Series" function to work correctly, please use the syntax "Title of series (number within series)"; that is, place the sequence number within parentheses.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553383043, Paperback)

Often compared to Tolkien's Middle-earth or Lewis's Narnia, Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea is a stunning fantasy world that grabs quickly at our hearts, pulling us deeply into its imaginary realms. Four books (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, and Tehanu) tell the whole Earthsea cycle--a tale about a reckless, awkward boy named Sparrowhawk who becomes a wizard's apprentice after the wizard reveals Sparrowhawk's true name. The boy comes to realize that his fate may be far more important than he ever dreamed possible. Le Guin challenges her readers to think about the power of language, how in the act of naming the world around us we actually create that world. Teens, especially, will be inspired by the way Le Guin allows her characters to evolve and grow into their own powers.

In this first book, A Wizard of Earthsea readers will witness Sparrowhawk's moving rite of passage--when he discovers his true name and becomes a young man. Great challenges await Sparrowhawk, including an almost deadly battle with a sinister creature, a monster that may be his own shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:24 -0400)

A boy grows to manhood while attempting to subdue the evil he unleashed on the world as an apprentice to the Master Wizard.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,366,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible