Every Dead Thing by John Connolly

Every Dead Thing

by John Connolly

Series: Charlie Parker (1)

English (52)  Spanish (4)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (59)
A well written book with a certain awesomeness to it. Charlie Parker is a New York Detective whose wife and child have been murdered in particularly gruesome manner. We follow Parker as he encounters a serial child murderer/abusers through the underworlds of the east seaboards then to New Orleans where connections to his families murders are showing up. Lots of bodies, some graphic descriptions, a certain antiseptic tone. The pacing is good, though the finish of a case in the middle of the book does throw it off a bit. Not my usual thing. ( )
  quondame | May 24, 2018 |
This was one of the most atmospheric, detailed books I’ve read in a long time. The mood just drips off the page and at times it felt I was following Parker, just a step or two behind. The story builds slowly and sometimes feels as if maybe a touch more editing could have been done, but really the story and characters are to engrossing to let this be a hindrance. The touches of supernatural also add a layer of mystery to the novel. Love this book. ( )
  Arkrayder | Jan 30, 2018 |
I'm glad that this wasn't the first John Connolly's book about Charles Parker that I read. It was good, but the books that I have read, "The Killing Kind", "The White Road" and "The Reapers" was much better. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
John Connolly’s novel, Every Dead Thing, is the story of former NYPD detective Charlie “Bird” Parker, a man who experienced a tragedy of such a large scope that it’s a wonder he didn’t go crazy. While still a homicide detective in New York City and an alcoholic, he had a fight with his wife one night and left the house in anger. He stopped in at the local bar, got drunk, and then returned home several hours late to find that his wife and young daughter had been skinned alive.

He is first suspected as the killer himself, and even though he is quickly cleared, he's forced out of the department anyway. He is determined to find out who killed his family. He stops drinking and is asked to track down a missing person by a former colleague. Clues eventually lead him to a swamp in Louisiana where he hears rumors of a serial killer known as the Traveling Man, who he now believes killed his family.

This book has several subplots and is very complex in scope. Connolly consistently maintains the tightly written suspense. Parker and his close friends, gay career criminals Angel and Louis, are filled with just as much darkness as the killers they are looking for. This is an extremely violent book so I definitely can't recommend it to everyone. The story is filled with plenty of corpses and I had to skim several of the passages that documented some of the graphic details.

I've read every Charlie Parker novel over the years (currently at fourteen books) and it remains one of my favorite series. I've recently decided to revisit them in order by listening to the audiobook versions. I look forward to continuing the series over the next year. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Every Dead Thing by John Connolly
Charlie Parker series Book #1
4 stars

What's It About?
Former NYPD detective Charlie "Bird" Parker is on the verge of madness. Tortured by the unsolved slayings of his wife and young daughter, he is a man consumed by guilt, regret, and the desire for revenge. When his former partner asks him to track down a missing girl, Parker finds himself drawn into a world beyond his imagining: a world where thirty-year-old killings remain shrouded in fear and lies, a world where the ghosts of the dead torment the living, a world haunted by the murderer responsible for the deaths in his family—a serial killer who uses the human body to create works of art and takes faces as his prize. But the search awakens buried instincts in Parker: instincts for survival, for compassion, for love, and, ultimately, for killing.

Aided by a beautiful young psychologist and a pair of bickering career criminals, Parker becomes the bait in a trap set in the humid bayous of Louisiana, a trap that threatens the lives of everyone in its reach. Driven by visions of the dead and the voice of an old black psychic who met a terrible end, Parker must seek a final, brutal confrontation with a murderer who has moved beyond all notions of humanity, who has set out to create a hell on earth: the serial killer known only as the Traveling Man.

What Did I Think?
Go figure. I managed to read every other book in this series and somehow missed this one...the first . I really liked "Every Dead Thing" but it lacked that certain "zing" that the ones after it had...which is often true of first books.

There is an extremely large cast of unusual and interesting characters that Connolly brings to life, Some will follow along through the next 12 books in the series. Two characters that frequent the stories and we meet for the first time in "Every Dead Thing" are Angel And Louis who have remained a personal favorite of mine. They are the bad guys that you just have to root for. There is a paranormal overtone throughout all the books as well as just enough of a dose of mystery to make the series well worth the reading time. Believe me when I tell you that these books just keep getting better and better. ( )
  Carol420 | Jul 9, 2017 |

Connolly, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
PROLOGUE

It is cold in the car, cold as the grave.
The waitress was in her fifties, dressed in a tight black miniskirt, white blouse, and black high heels.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067102731X, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a good idea to avoid reading John Connolly's debut novel on a full stomach. His descriptions of mutilated murder victims give him honorary membership in the gore wars club. Every Dead Thing is a fast-paced piece of fiction from an author whose regular stomping ground is as a journalist for the Irish Times.

NYPD detective Charlie "Bird" Parker was busy boozing at Tom's Oak Tavern when his wife Susan, and young daughter Jennifer were mutilated by a killer called the Traveling Man. Consumed by guilt and alcoholism, Charlie soon lost his job, and almost his sanity. Several months on he is sober and ready to get his life back in order. Charlie takes up private investigating. One of his first cases involves the disappearance of a woman called Catherine Demeter. At first this puzzle seems unrelated to the Traveling Man--but Charlie has a gut feeling that the slayer is pulling the strings. "I dreamed of Catherine Demeter surrounded by darkness and flames and the bones of dead children. And I knew then that some terrible blackness had descended upon her."

The search for Catherine takes Charlie on a whirlwind tour of the South. First to the small Virginian town of Haven, where, some 30 years before, Catherine's sister Amy was murdered, along with other local children. But the trail turns cold--until a tip from a psychic leads Charlie to the swamplands of Louisiana. The subplots of Catherine's disappearance, age-old child murders, and the slaying of the Parker family finally unite in the hot, humid terrain. A showdown with the Traveling Man is inevitable.

Every Dead Thing is classic American crime fiction, and it's hard to believe that John Connolly was born and raised on the Emerald Isle. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

PI Charlie Parker, a former New York policeman, searches for the killer of his wife and daughter. Two women help him, a pretty criminal psychologist and an old Creole woman with psychic vision.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,082,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible