Every Dead Thing by John Connolly

Every Dead Thing (edition 2000)

by John Connolly

Member:southerntang
Title:Every Dead Thing
Authors:John Connolly
Info:Pocket Books (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 467 pages
Rating:*****

Every Dead Thing by John Connolly

English (41)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
Driven by visions of the dead, Parker tracks a serial killer from New York City to the deep south, and finds his buried instincts for love, survival and ultimately for killing awakening as he confronts a monster beyond imagining. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I liked the fast pace and the immediacy of this book. The story starts off with a prologue that's like a kick in the stomach. The main character, Parker, is likeable and flawed. He sets off on the trail of a serial killer.
I can't criticise the writing style, nor the plot, which is why I've given it five stars. Connelly has a unique style, almost intimate. I loved his atmospheric descriptions of New Orleans.
However, there were two things that I didn't like about this book and they both spoiled the experience for me. The first was the string of characters that Parker comes into contact with. Some stand out, but many are too shallowly cast for their details to stay in the memory. I found they had a tendency to blur into one - ex -cops, feds, ex-feds, cops from New York, cops from New Orleans etc. So when the killer is revealed I knew who the character was but I couldn't exactly recall how Parker knew that person.
Secondly - as the book progressed I found it more and more difficult to withstand the graphic details of the gruesome murders (and they are truly gruesome). Connolly's intimate writing style seemed less of an asset when describing the bodies and what had happened to them. The first murders are anonymous, people the reader doesn't know, then we are presented with the gruesome murder (described in detail) of someone the reader has got to know - at this stage I almost stopped reading even though it was near the end of the book.
I would read another John Connolly but not in a hurry. And I'd make sure I wasn't in a weak state of mind!
  AnnGirdharry | Mar 30, 2016 |
I love his Charlie Parker books--they offer an unusual combination of gritty detective fiction with supernatural elements. They feel somewhat like a hard-edged version of the X-Files. ( )
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |
Review Rating: 5+ stars.

Suspense at its best! Dark, addictive, infectious and thrilling.

All Book Addicts: If you haven't read John Connolly's Charlie Parker Series, then you are missing out BIG TIME!

This is the first book of the Charlie Parker Series: Every Dead Thing.

Charlie Parker, a police detective, comes home one night after binge drinking at a local pub, only to find his wife and daughter, in the kitchen, murdered.

He resigns from the police force and takes up PI work.

He sets out, with the help of two friends, Angel & Louis, to track down the murderer. The murderer, also known as The Traveling Man, is always one step ahead of Charlie. Or so it seems...

My thoughts on this book

Great characters, well-developed.
Angel & Louis are a great addition to this book, I can not imagine reading a Charlie Parker novel without them. Funny & serious at the same time.

Quotes from Every Dead Thing

"Sometimes we need our pain. We need it to call our own..."

"I slipped from present to past, sliding down the snake heads of memory into what was and what would never be again."...

I recommend this for all psychological thriller, suspense & horror addicts! ( )
  marizavw | Feb 22, 2016 |
I can't believe I've never read John Connolly before! I will be devouring more as soon as possible! ( )
  TracyCampbell | Feb 12, 2016 |

Connolly, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
PROLOGUE

It is cold in the car, cold as the grave.
The waitress was in her fifties, dressed in a tight black miniskirt, white blouse, and black high heels.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067102731X, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a good idea to avoid reading John Connolly's debut novel on a full stomach. His descriptions of mutilated murder victims give him honorary membership in the gore wars club. Every Dead Thing is a fast-paced piece of fiction from an author whose regular stomping ground is as a journalist for the Irish Times.

NYPD detective Charlie "Bird" Parker was busy boozing at Tom's Oak Tavern when his wife Susan, and young daughter Jennifer were mutilated by a killer called the Traveling Man. Consumed by guilt and alcoholism, Charlie soon lost his job, and almost his sanity. Several months on he is sober and ready to get his life back in order. Charlie takes up private investigating. One of his first cases involves the disappearance of a woman called Catherine Demeter. At first this puzzle seems unrelated to the Traveling Man--but Charlie has a gut feeling that the slayer is pulling the strings. "I dreamed of Catherine Demeter surrounded by darkness and flames and the bones of dead children. And I knew then that some terrible blackness had descended upon her."

The search for Catherine takes Charlie on a whirlwind tour of the South. First to the small Virginian town of Haven, where, some 30 years before, Catherine's sister Amy was murdered, along with other local children. But the trail turns cold--until a tip from a psychic leads Charlie to the swamplands of Louisiana. The subplots of Catherine's disappearance, age-old child murders, and the slaying of the Parker family finally unite in the hot, humid terrain. A showdown with the Traveling Man is inevitable.

Every Dead Thing is classic American crime fiction, and it's hard to believe that John Connolly was born and raised on the Emerald Isle. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

Former NYPD detective Charlie "Bird" Parker, is tormented by the brutal, unsolved murders of his wife and young daughter. Driven by visions of the dead, he tracks a serial killer from New York City to the Deep South, and finds his buried instincts--for love, survival, and ultimately, for killing--awakening as he confronts a monster beyond imagining.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,618,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible