Every Dead Thing by John Connolly

Every Dead Thing (edition 2000)

by John Connolly

Member:southerntang
Title:Every Dead Thing
Authors:John Connolly
Info:Pocket Books (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 467 pages
Rating:*****

Every Dead Thing by John Connolly

Recently added bydebkrenzer, MaraBlaise, dmclane, SA_Jane, JordanRMD, rocambole, Aneris, private library, superspytaiko

English (44)  Spanish (4)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  All (50)
Definitely the most gory and grotesque beginning to any book I have ever read. Do not start reading this while you are eating. I seriously thought it was going to be a DNF.

There were a few moments when my eyes started to cross and my mind started to wander. Thankfully, those were very few. For the most part, I found this book to be very edge of my seat. The suspects for the "Traveling Man" were many and my finger pointed at a lot of them. Some of the time when I was reading the book, I was wondering, "how the heck does this tie in?". Then at the end when the author put in the red arrows and the blinking lights along with the sirens, I was like I would have never figured that out.

The story took me from New York, up to the East Coast, to Virginia and down to the Big Easy. Charlie Parker provided many chuckles as well as his friends, Louis and Angel. So basically, the author added everything. Entertainment, mystery, suspense, gore, action scenes, scenery, high speed chases, the "don't go into the basement scenes", a few swampland scenes and some good ole Bayou voodoo. Not to mention the Cajun delicacies enjoyed by the characters.

This was a great story and definitely held my interest. This was one serial killer you did not want to meet in a dark alley.

Thanks to Atria Books for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Feb 21, 2017 |
I'm glad that this wasn't the first John Connolly's book about Charles Parker that I read. It was good, but the books that I have read, "The Killing Kind", "The White Road" and "The Reapers" was much better. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 20, 2017 |
I would like to thank NetGalley and Atria Books for this edition of "Every Dead Thing" by John Connolly to read and review. I read one of John Connolly's later books ," A Time of Torment", and found that intriguing. "Every Dead Thing" is the very first book written in the Charlie Parker series written by John Connolly. The genre of this book is THRILLER,mystery and a touch of supernatural. I find that the author has written a very dark, horrific,terrifying,evil, and shocking novel. In this book, John Connelly's wife and child have been murdered. The descriptions of their murders and others that follow are filled with gruesome, violent and bloody details.
The main character, Charlie "Bird" Parker is conflicted and at the edge. He seeks revenge for his wife and daughter's brutal murder. At times his personality vacillates and he seems to be in survival mode or a killing mode. Most of the characters are quite flawed and conflicted as well. Charlie "Bird" Parker had been a police officer prior to his family's killing. The story takes place in New York, New Orleans, and other areas. His acquaintances vary from FBI, Police, gangs, and seedy characters. I wonder if the author is attempting to portray Charlie Parker into an anti-hero?
The story discusses good and evil, life and death, mortality and immortality. I found the pace of the story very slow. Some of the scenes that are described really turned my stomach. There are some twists and turns, and a very surprising ending.

Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Indie Bookstore

Review by
Linda Zagon

Reviewer at lindasbookobsession
Type of reviewer: Consumer Reviewer (I review on sites like Goodreads or Amazon)

Member Since 2016 ( )
  teachlz | Feb 2, 2017 |
This book in paperback form looked and felt big for a detective novel; 467 pages as it turned out. Well, I thought, I’d probably read as many successful books of this size as not, and the fans that like this series really like it. Why not? Turns out Every Dead Thing is actually two novels. Not two concurrent stories, as often happens with the genre, but two consecutive cases--with a few through lines and back references to tie it together. Upon finishing the first “novel,” I suspected we were being given a hard, real world conclusion up front because there had been a couple of mild psychic and metaphysical touches introduced along the way, and perhaps these mystic influences might end up playing a role in the second finale; maybe this was a way of changing the ground rules without cheating the reader. I was wrong in that regard. We never completely left the hardboiled world to which we were introduced.

We first meet New York City Police detective Charlie Parker as he stumbles home after another night of drinking, which in turn was preceded by another fight with his wife. Through a drunken haze he discovers her body, and that of his 7-year-old daughter, both brutally murdered and mutilated. About a half a year later, after absolutely no progress in finding the killer, Parker has left the Department and now chases bail jumpers for a lowlife bondsman, mostly to keep active since he had stopped drinking out of guilt. A shootout on the street sets the book on several journeys.

Not just the obvious journey: the first case, where incidental involvement leads Parker to being asked to find a missing woman. We also learn, through some of the failed attempts at tracking down his family’s killer, how he’d fallen so far. And how he’d gotten to the point where we initially met him, both good times and bad. And, of course, the second half of the book with the actual tracking of the killer once some solid leads surface in New Orleans. But the overreaching journey is Charlie Parker’s climb from the depths of despair. It starts with growing concern for the missing woman’s safety and concludes with literally facing his demon.

Two consecutive cases, two separate conclusions; one over-arching journey. It’s a journey well worth following. However . . .

[Warning: There are some graphically disturbing images in this book. They are not described in gruesome detail but they are gruesome nonetheless.]

Upon finishing Every Dead Thing, it felt like a 4-and-a-half Star book to me. The problem is, I can’t say why. It’s just a feeling. And yet I couldn’t stop reading. By definition that’s a 5-Star book, right? So I’ll go with my gut. For once ambivalence is not a bad thing. ( )
  JohnWCuluris | Oct 30, 2016 |
Driven by visions of the dead, Parker tracks a serial killer from New York City to the deep south, and finds his buried instincts for love, survival and ultimately for killing awakening as he confronts a monster beyond imagining. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Connolly, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
PROLOGUE

It is cold in the car, cold as the grave.
The waitress was in her fifties, dressed in a tight black miniskirt, white blouse, and black high heels.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067102731X, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a good idea to avoid reading John Connolly's debut novel on a full stomach. His descriptions of mutilated murder victims give him honorary membership in the gore wars club. Every Dead Thing is a fast-paced piece of fiction from an author whose regular stomping ground is as a journalist for the Irish Times.

NYPD detective Charlie "Bird" Parker was busy boozing at Tom's Oak Tavern when his wife Susan, and young daughter Jennifer were mutilated by a killer called the Traveling Man. Consumed by guilt and alcoholism, Charlie soon lost his job, and almost his sanity. Several months on he is sober and ready to get his life back in order. Charlie takes up private investigating. One of his first cases involves the disappearance of a woman called Catherine Demeter. At first this puzzle seems unrelated to the Traveling Man--but Charlie has a gut feeling that the slayer is pulling the strings. "I dreamed of Catherine Demeter surrounded by darkness and flames and the bones of dead children. And I knew then that some terrible blackness had descended upon her."

The search for Catherine takes Charlie on a whirlwind tour of the South. First to the small Virginian town of Haven, where, some 30 years before, Catherine's sister Amy was murdered, along with other local children. But the trail turns cold--until a tip from a psychic leads Charlie to the swamplands of Louisiana. The subplots of Catherine's disappearance, age-old child murders, and the slaying of the Parker family finally unite in the hot, humid terrain. A showdown with the Traveling Man is inevitable.

Every Dead Thing is classic American crime fiction, and it's hard to believe that John Connolly was born and raised on the Emerald Isle. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

Former NYPD detective Charlie "Bird" Parker, is tormented by the brutal, unsolved murders of his wife and young daughter. Driven by visions of the dead, he tracks a serial killer from New York City to the Deep South, and finds his buried instincts--for love, survival, and ultimately, for killing--awakening as he confronts a monster beyond imagining.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,489,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible