Fuzzy Sapiens by H. Beam Piper

Fuzzy Sapiens (1964)

by H. Beam Piper

Series: Terro-Human Future History, Fuzzies (2)

520827,856 (3.76)37

In Little Fuzzy, the plot hinged on whether a primitive race who did not use fire could be considered sapient. The question has now been answered, and Fuzzy Sapiens deals with the consequences of that ruling: Zarathustra goes from an uninhabited planet to one with a native population and from effectively being a company world to one with a colonial government.

My comments on Little Fuzzy still stand but with the addition of colonialism to add to the mix. I also found the descriptions of Fuzzies to be more than a little patronising (it was rather more obvious). I still enjoyed the story very much.
  Maddz | Sep 11, 2018 |
A continuation of the highly-entertaining "Little Fuzzy", entertaining in its own right.

Yes, much of the technology is outdated, archaic, but do we spurn "Jane Eyre" or "Macbeth" because there are no electric lights? Do we degrade "Ulysses" because there are no cars? Of course not. We enjoy reading stories for what they are, what tales they tell, even though they might sound outdated.

But back to my review: "Fuzzy Sapiens" is very much enjoyable, on a par with the first book. ( )
  fuzzi | Jul 27, 2015 |
The fuzzies are as adorable as ever to the humans...so the little beggars continue to exploit the clumsy things. I enjoy Piper's ability to show us alieness, or imperialism in his clever fashion. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jun 21, 2015 |
I think I liked this much more when I read it many years ago. I agree with the other reviewers. Fuzzy Sapiens is a reprint of The Other Human Race, published by Avon Books. What I remembered most was the Fuzzy attitude to making beds; I'm a convert.

"The blankets and cushions were all piled at one end; bedmaking, it seemed, wasn't a Fuzzy accomplishment. A bed was to sleep in, and no Fuzzy could see the sense in making a bed and then having to un-make it before he could use it." [p.33]
  raizel | Jul 28, 2013 |
This is the second of the Fuzzy books that feature among the most memorable aliens in science fiction. Mind you, they're so cute as to induce sugar shock. Creatures "two feet tall, with wide-eyed... face... covered with soft golden fur," playful, sane, sweet and emotionally and intellectually about ten years old. The first book dealt with some sophisticated concepts. The "Fuzzies" are on a planet colonized by humans and largely owned and ruled by a corporation under a charter only valid if there are no sapient indigenous life forms. So when the Fuzzies first show up, it soon becomes a very serious matter indeed whether they're just cute animals--or people. The second novel develops some issues not resolved in the first one, and is still entertaining, although perhaps not as fresh in conception. I did like how in the second novel things were less black and white. Piper's not an elegant prose stylist. There are point-of-view jumps, and flaky section breaks (might be more an issue of bad editing than writing) and at times clumsy phrasing. But Piper's a good storyteller nevertheless and presents appealing characters--human and non-human alike. It's an good read. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Jun 28, 2013 |

H. Beam Piperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Victor Grego finished the chilled fruit juice and pushed the glass aside, then lit a cigarette and poured hot coffee into the half-filled cup that had been cooling.
FUZZY SAPIENS has also been published as THE OTHER HUMAN RACE.

The Pendarvis Decision had declared the Fuzzies to be intelligent beings - guaranteeing them protection and security. But just how much were those assurances worth?

The Fuzzies were about to find out ... Someone was going to make big profits by exploiting them, and there wasn't much that could prevent the Fuzzies from becoming just another extinct species on Mankind's conscience.
    -------------------------------------

"There isn't anything we can do about it? Anything at all?" LYnne was asking.
"No. there isn't anything anybody can do. The lab in Mallorysport has given up trying - except to write a scientifically accurate epitaph for the Fuzzy race."
"But.... but there must be some way to reverse the process?"
"It's irreversible." Ruth told her. "No matter what we do, nine out of every ten Fuzzies born will be defective, still born or dead within hours. The Fuzzies just can't adapt to the change fast enough. WE['ve seen it on every planet we've ever studied: hundreds of cases on Terra alone. The Fuzzies are in a genetic trap they can't get out of ... and we can't help them."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441261965, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the sequel to the author's classic novel, "Little Fuzzy."Originally published under the title "The Other human Race."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:46 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,811,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible