Girl With Curious Hair by David Foster…

Girl With Curious Hair (original 1988; edition 1996)

by David Foster Wallace

Member:RoxanneMcT
Title:Girl With Curious Hair
Authors:David Foster Wallace
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1996), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:bookclub; reading now

Girl With Curious Hair by David Foster Wallace (1988)

DFW had a way with words, & while I found individual paragraphs in this book quite lovely & engaging, all the stories were ultimately pointless, without direction & just stopped with no actual conclusion to any of them. Maybe that was the point, but it was lost on me, if so. ( )
  cvreeland | Feb 18, 2017 |
Early Wallace, and it shows. Some of the stories, particularly "Westward the Course of Empire Takes Its Way," are trying too hard, but Wallace's maximalist sentences are here in all their glory, and you see him broach many of the themes that run through his later work--how to negotiate sincerity in the midst of postmodern self-referentiality, the prison-house of language, the cult of celebrity, etc. I particularly liked "Lyndon," and "My Appearance." ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
I did not fully understand almost all of this book (or, I sort-of understood most of this book.) If you're prepared for that, you may find this to be more than a three star book. My previous D.F. Wallace experience consists solely of "Consider the Lobster", which I greatly enjoyed.

Part of why I found this so hard to understand (and to enjoy) is that it really is a meta-meta-book, fiction-that-is-not-fiction-that-is. And I think Wallace was well aware of that; but it is hard to take, all the same. The book is rooted in, and a protest against/mocking of, a literary culture (or long fad?) that is now, at least in part, sailing into the past. And good riddance...

But, if you do enjoy postmodern (or is this post-post-modern) lit, then again, this might be more to your liking. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Excellent Short Stories. You won't be disappointed. "Late Night", the Dave Letterman appearance story, is the best of the bunch, IMHO; I still remember images from it: whiskey clouding when ice drops in, the tendril of cigarette smoke in cold chill of a Manhattan executive suite, Letterman's face. The ending is POW, very good. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
It's a formative work, pocked with moments of brilliance that haven't quite found the best way to orient themselves yet. Still, early-DFW beats the pants off of most late-whatevers. ( )
  gregorybrown | Oct 18, 2015 |
For L-----
It's 1976.

A collection of short stories by David Foster Wallace that explore the different ways people live their lives.

Legacy Library: David Foster Wallace

David Foster Wallace has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See David Foster Wallace's legacy profile.

See David Foster Wallace's author page.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,643,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible