No Other Darkness by Sarah Hilary

No Other Darkness

by Sarah Hilary

English (11)  German (1)  All (12)
I really enjoyed Sarah Hilary's debut novel but I absolutely loved this one. Two small bodies have been found in an underground bunker, who are they? Why were they there? and why weren't they reported missing? If you stop at the beginning of this book and try and answer some of those questions it doesn't seem like a feasible storyline, children are monitored so closely these days how can they go missing and nobody notices? Believe me though Sarah Hilary has come up with a convincing and thrilling storyline.
Marnie Rome is really growing on me as a character and her interactions with her foster brother continue to chill. I was also happy to see more of Noah's personality come through in this book and to get a proper look at his life outside work. The only character I felt was lacking was Clancy however. It was only right at the end that we really heard his voice and I feel I would have liked more insight into him.
Overall though a cracking follow up to 'Someone Else's Skin' and I look forward to more. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
If hadn't read the first book in this series I think I would have liked this one much more. The first book was captivating and had a dark grittiness about it because of the main character's strange past and secrets. All that just seemed to be missing in this book. The story itself was actually very interesting but it felt executed in a bit of a rambling, circling way that made the read disjointed. But, while I am disappointed by this second book, I am still so impressed by the first that I will definitely try the next in this series. ( )
  Kathl33n | Feb 11, 2017 |
Outstanding sophomore outing by Sarah Hilary! I loved Hilary's first book "Someone Else's Skin." "No Other Darkness" is just as good.

DI Marnie Rome and her team are investigating the discovery of the bodies of two boys in a bunker in London. The boys had apparently been dead for five years. The investigation leads Marnie to ever-more complicated discoveries about the past, as she slowly learns what happened to the boys.

The book is full of twists and turns that I never saw coming. I loved being kept on my toes throughout the entire novel. The storyline was gripping, the characters fully developed and complex in their makeup, every chapter leading the reader further down the rabbit hole right along with Marnie.

The only part that I felt was not as tightly woven was the reappearance of journalist Adam Fletcher and the references to Marnie's tragic past. I wanted more of this secondary plot line -- or none of it at all. Its not-fully-developed presence was such a teaser as to be almost frustrating. However, it wasn't so frustrating as to prevent me from giving this fantastic book 5 stars anyway.

I am very much looking forward to reading he third DI Marnie Rome book! ( )
  niaomiya | Jul 5, 2016 |
When the story begins we meet two young boys, alone, and trapped underground in a bunker. They don't understand why they are there and expect someone to rescue them. Even though they are young, they slowly realize that no one is going to come for them. Fast forward five years when the bodies are discovered. This will be one of the most difficult and heart breaking cases that have ever been assigned to DI Marnie Rome. Who are the boys? Who put them in the bunker? And why haven’t they been reported as missing?

Marnie and her investigative team don't know where to start. There's Terry Doyle, who accidentally found the boys and his wife Beth. What about the construction company that built the estate, and claims they don't know about the bunker? We also have a very strange man living down the block who may or may not be a pedophile. And don't forget the gypsies who used to live in the neighborhood and were forced out about five yeas ago.

This book is dark, emotionally challenging, and unnerving. The author does a great job a defying the normal stereotypes we find in the typical police procedural. You have to look a long way to find a better crime novel. Sarah Hilary is certainly a rising star in crime fiction writing. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Feb 11, 2016 |
What a great read! The mystery stems from a discovery made in the back garden of a couple's property. A concrete bunker hides a hideous secret from long ago. Detectives Marnie and Jake are assigned to the case. The story takes them from following their leads into the field following and unraveling the clues. The themes include postpartum psychosis, mental illness, child abuse, kid-napping, murder, organized crime, and greed. The author had done a marvelous job of keeping us on the edge of our seats. My thanks to the author and Penguin's First to Read program for a complimentary copy. ( )
  musichick52 | Nov 14, 2015 |

“The DI Marnie Rome series [is] one to watch.” —Shelf Awareness

The gripping follow-up to Sarah Hilary’s acclaimed debut Someone Else’s Skin, No Other Darkness finds mystery’s “impressive new cop-heroine” (The Times, London) on a case that hauntingly echoes her own family tragedy. Detective InspectorMarnie Rome and her partner Detective Sergeant Noah Jake are investigating the recent discovery of two dead boys in a bunker beneath a London garden. Terry and Beth, under whose garden the bodies were discovered, have two children of their own, and are also fostering a difficult boy named Clancy. Clancy reminds Marnie of her foster brother Stephen, who murdered her parents. Is Marnie’s past blinding her to the truth? Only one thing is certain: when Terry and Beth’s biological children vanish, Marnie can’t waste a moment finding them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:44 -0400)

"Detective Inspector Marnie Rome and her partner Detective Sergeant Noah Jake are investigating the recent discovery of two dead boys in a bunker beneath a London garden. Terry and Beth, under whose garden the bodies were discovered, have two children of their own, and are also fostering a difficult boy named Clancy. Clancy reminds Marnie of her foster brother Stephen, who murdered her parents. Is Marnie's past blinding her to the truth? Only one thing is certain: when Terry and Beth's biological children vanish, Marnie can't waste a moment finding them"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,799,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible