Archivist Wasp by Nicole Kornher-Stace

Archivist Wasp (2015)

by Nicole Kornher-Stace (Author)

Member:flying_monkeys
Title:Archivist Wasp
Authors:Nicole Kornher-Stace (Author)
Info:Easthampton, MA : Big Mouth House, 2015.
Collections:To read, Borrow(ed)
Tags:dystopia, *next

Archivist Wasp by Nicole Kornher-Stace (2015)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (wosret)
    wosret: Chosen teens forced to battle to the death in a post-apocalyptic society? Yes.
    Radiant by Karina Sumner-Smith (sandstone78)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (wosret)
    wosret: Take a journey through through the underworld; there's more to reality than you know.

Wasp’s position is an isolated and difficult one. As Archivist, she captures, studies and destroys ghosts for the Catchkeep-priest, and each year has to kill her would-be successors in order to keep her job -- and stay alive. But then she meets a ghost unlike all the others. A ghost who not only can talk to her but wants her help to find another ghost, Foster.

This post-apocalyptic mystery was not what I was expecting -- it spends more time focusing on the ghost and Foster’s past than on Wasp in her role as Archivist. And it was probably not a good choice for an audiobook, not for me and especially not for me on long car trips. (It’s harder to skip back or skim ahead with audiobook, and much harder to do those things when I’m driving.) The story is darker and more violent than I’d prefer and I think if I had been able to read it at my own pace I would have been less uneasy, and would have found some of the transitions between Wasp’s present and the past less confusing too.

But that’s me.

This is an intense, sharply-written story about about trust and teamwork and being caught in a terrible world. I was intrigued as well as horrified by the details about Foster’s life. I liked the connections, both thematic and physical, between Wasp and Foster. By the end, I was much more invested in the story’s few characters.

I am curious about the sequel.

“We’re going to find her. And when we do, if she wants me to walk away, I’ll walk away. But first I need to talk to her. One last time.”
Of course you do, Wasp thought. You’re a ghost. You need answers. You need closure. You need them like the living need air to breathe. You think it’s just you, but from what I’ve seen, most of us die without getting either.
And maybe that’s all a ghost is, in the end. Regret, grown legs, gone walking.
  Herenya | Oct 16, 2018 |
Strange, but in the difficult-to-put-down way. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
I liked this fine but it skimped a little too much on world building. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
Archivist Wasp is an interesting read. If you are into paranormal books, this is a good fit. It is a slow build, but halfway through, I couldn't put the book down. I read it in about 2 days.

Some of the characters could be described better. I would have liked to have a name to one of the characters instead of simply "the ghost". It was confusing at times.

This book was slightly different than most YA dystopian novels. It still depicted a female "warrior-of-the-wasteland" style character, chock full of self-doubt and flaws, with an evil "overlord" style protagonist. Most protagonists were male, and were crudely described. The storyline and arc, however, were refreshingly new. The idea of "ghosts" constantly disrupting the general life of the town and the fact that there are deep down secrets from these ghosts leads to quite the turn of events. ( )
  VoodooYeager | Jul 15, 2018 |
Intriguing and interesting. I really liked it and decided to read it as I have won the second book in the series as an Early Reviewer Snag. Now I can go ahead and start 'Latchkey'. Yeah:) ( )
  erinclark | Jun 12, 2018 |
The knife. She'd lost the knife. Now she was as good as dead.

Wasp's job is simple. Hunt ghosts. And every year she has to fight to remain Archivist. Desperate and alone, she strikes a bargain with the ghost of a supersoldier. She will go with him on his underworld hunt for the long-long ghost of his partner and in exchange she will find out more about his pre-apocalyptic world than any Archivist before her. And there is much to know. After all, Archivists are marked from birth to do the holy work of a goddess. They're chosen. They're special. Or so they've been told for four hundred years.

Archivist Wasp fears she is not the chosen one, that she won't survive the trip to the underworld, that the brutal life she has escaped might be better than where she is going. There is only one way to find out.

"A postapocalyptic ghosthunter escapes her dire fate by joining the ghost of a supersoldier on his quest to the underworld"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nicole Kornher-Stace's book Archivist Wasp was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,651,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible