The Rules by Nancy Holder

The Rules

by Nancy Holder

This book... Oh man, this book was absolutely crazy. It started out just a little slow but only because I was waiting for the hunt to actually begin. But once it did... Things got absolutely crazy. People started dying and I had some speculations about who the killer could be. Turned out that I was wrong about both of the people. The first one I suspected I just held onto the thought that it was them, they had done it the entire time. But things came about and it was obvious that just wasn't true. It felt like someone was dying every couple of pages, though. It was still a really good book. As it went on, I kept getting more and more worried as I became fond of a couple of characters, afraid that they were going to be next, especially every time one of them went off alone.
That ending though... I never once suspected the killer to be who it was. I was so shocked, especially because it was one of the two people I'd grown fond of. They explained why they did it and it made sense. Not to condone the violence and death, of course.
This was such a good read. It kept me on my toes, guessing who the heck was killing everyone. There were twists and turns and left you thinking that it couldn't possible be anyone you had really met in the book. I kept thinking it was literally some sick, twisted person who was just killing these kids because they could. But no. Don't get too attached to any of these characters. So few were left alive. One of them just might end up dead. Or worse, the killer. ( )
  StilesIsMyBatman | May 2, 2019 |
Be prepared for murder and gore! This book is a creepy thriller that will have you wondering, who dunnit? However, I did find myself a little confused by the twist at the end. It just didn't really seem to make sense to me. I would have been more satisfied to know it was the original "killer" the author leads you to think it is in the beginning. In fact, several characters even name him as their killer as they die and I wondered how they confused him with the actual killer. These were the things that caused me to rate this book as a three. ( )
  AmberKirbey | Jan 3, 2017 |
I must admit that I was a sucker for this book. It is like one of those "campy horror movies". Ones that you love to hate but in a good way. There was nothing too scary about the events happening that night during the hunt. In addition, the characters for the most part were your average people. Nothing special or intriguing about them. In fact, there are probably some that you will find yourself cheering hoping that something happens to them.

For as many books that I have read, I really did not have a clue as to who was causing all of the havoc until the reveal. Until than I was just along for the joy ride. Although I must admit that the ending was fine but if I had it my way it probably would have ended differently. If you do anything,follow this one rule..."Pick up a copy of this book". ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 6, 2015 |

"The Rules is a must-read for fans of thrillers with truly frightening twists."--School Library Journal

Narrated by an alternating unreliable group of teens, this dark thriller will have readers on the edge of their seats. No one is safe and everyone is a suspect. It’s Saw meets I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Junior Robin Brisset has no idea what she’s in for when she accepts an invitation to one of Callabrese High’s most exclusive parties. And when the trademark scavenger hunt begins, Robin must go against every rule she’s lived by to survive.

"Holder and Viguié keep the action churning along as they bounce from teen to teen for different perspectives on the action, sometimes recording a murder with appropriate gore, sometimes an escape."--Kirkus

"Fans of the genre will be horrified, just the way they like it."--Booklist

"A good mystery, THE RULES is a blockbuster horror film waiting to be made. This graphic story will find fans among horror aficionados, mystery fans, and those who enjoyed Heathers and other high school revenge tales."--VOYA

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 11:50:42 -0400)

High school junior Robin Brissett accompanies her best friend Beth to the hottest party of the year knowing there will be alcohol, drugs, sex, and a scavenger hunt designed to scare and thrill, but this year the school's elite are not the hunters--but the hunted.… (more)

Nancy Holder is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,390,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible