The Murder of Mary Russell by Laurie R. King

The Murder of Mary Russell (2016)

by Laurie R. King

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sherlock Holmes was not someone I was never interested in reading. So it hard for me to get into this book. I am glad that so many people have enjoyed it. ( )
  cindysprocket | Jun 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Given the title, I don't think I need a spoiler alert that Sherlock Holmes finds himself facing the loss of his young wife, Mary Russell. Holmes is away on business when Mrs. Hudson returns from a shopping trip to find a pool of blood in the sitting room, her own possessions rifled through and broken and a large blanket missing from the cupboard under the stairs. The police are puzzled and, in a well intentioned move to spare Mrs. Hudson the local constable obscures clues by cleaning the bloody floor. The course of the novel gives Mrs. Hudson's a fascinating backstory and explains her her association with Holmes as well as connecting to the "The 'Gloria Scott'" a story from the _Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes_. The plot shifts from Mary Russell's viewpoint to that of Mrs. Hudson and from the distant past of Hudson's childhood to the England of 1925. Engrossing.
  ritaer | Jun 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When a mysterious visitor arrives at the Holmes' household, we are taken on an adventure full of twists and turns that focuses on a character who usually takes on a supporting role. Mrs. Hudson has always been a quiet presence in the Mary Russell series but in this novel readers are given a glimpse into her past and her life before Sherlock Holmes. At the end of the novel I was left with the lingering question " Is this the end?"
  dalexander | Jun 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having read the first 3 Mary Russell novels and The Bones of Paris, I expect a lot from Laurie King. The Murder of Mary Russell did not disappoint. Mrs. Hudson's back story, the reason for my interest in this ARC, was brilliantly done just as I would have expected from King. I particularly enjoyed how she cleverly used Doyle's The Adventure of the Gloria Scott as a plot device in the story. ( )
  ddelmoni | Jun 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ms. King is the master of writing a series but somehow managing to make each book completely unique. This latest installment brings depth and color to the character of Mrs. Hudson - someone who in Sherlock Holmes cannon is little more than a name. I particularly enjoyed some of the subtle things done - the objects that kept showing up, the significance of the Act, and the genuine affection each of the characters has for the others. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 26, 2017 |
For my sister, Lynn Difley, who devotes her life to encouraging white-haired folk to find their strength.
9:15 a.m.

Irony comes in many flavours, sweet to bitter.

Mary Russell is used to dark secrets—her own, and those of her famous partner and husband, Sherlock Holmes. Trust is a thing slowly given, but over the course of a decade together, the two have forged an indissoluble bond.

And what of the other person to whom Mary Russell has opened her heart: the couple’s longtime housekeeper, Mrs. Hudson? Russell’s faith and affection are suddenly shattered when a man arrives on the doorstep claiming to be Mrs. Hudson’s son.

What Samuel Hudson tells Russell cannot possibly be true, yet she believes him—as surely as she believes the threat of the gun in his hand. In a devastating instant, everything changes. And when the scene is discovered—a pool of blood on the floor, the smell of gunpowder in the air—the most shocking revelation of all is that the grim clues point directly to Clara Hudson.

Or rather to Clarissa, the woman she was before Baker Street.

The key to Russell’s sacrifice lies in Mrs. Hudson’s past. To uncover the truth, a frantic Sherlock Holmes must put aside his anguish and push deep into his housekeeper’s secrets—to a time before her disguise was assumed, before her crimes were buried away.

There is death here, and murder, and trust betrayed.

And nothing will ever be the same.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Laurie R. King's book The Murder of Mary Russell is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laurie R. King's book The Murder of Mary Russell was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible