The murder of Mary Russell : a novel of…

The murder of Mary Russell : a novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell… (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Laurie R. King

Member:timepiece
Title:The murder of Mary Russell : a novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:New York : Bantam Books, 2016.
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, To read

The Murder of Mary Russell by Laurie R. King (2016)

Despite the title, Sherlock Holmes’ housekeeper Mrs. Hudson is the star of this entry in the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. There is a mystery at its core but it's Clara Hudson’s backstory along with an introduction to a very young Holmes that make this so interesting and readable. I wasn’t impressed with an earlier book, Locked Rooms, but this one has definitely snagged my interest in the series. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 28, 2018 |
Mary Russell is enjoying some time home alone relaxing, while Sherlock Holmes is away working on a case and, Mrs. Hudson is at the market. At the door a man, claims to be Mrs. Hudson's son. Mary's alarm bells start ringing, since she knows nothing of about a son, however she does know about a nephew living in Australia. Despite her feelings, Mary lets him in the house because she wants to hear his story, and she thinks she can do what it takes to keep herself safe or so she thinks. Mrs. Hudson arrives home to find cottage empty and a large pool of blood on the floor. We are then transported to the story of who Mrs. Hudson really is and how she met Sherlock Holmes.

It was nice to finally learn about Mrs. Hudson's life as details are unearthed throughout the story. The author does a great job as she weaves the present story line with the past story line. Mrs. Hudson's past is interesting and seems to be uncharacteristic for the lady we've gotten to know in the past 13 books and the Mrs. Hudson that Conan Doyle first introduced us to. ( )
  FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book almost a year ago as a giveaway and it's taken me this long to pick it up. In contrast, I read it in a single day this past weekend. I'm now regretting taking so long to start it as that means I've gone a year longer than I should have before discovering how much I love Laurie King!

While the book is technically #14 in a series, it stands quite well on it's own and I've already planned to go back to the beginning and read the entirety of the series, along with anything else Ms King has written.

The language is formal enough to give you a good feel of the time period without slowing it down. I can't speak to the others in the series, but this book followed three different narrators in two different time periods and still was not difficult to keep track of when or who you were. ( )
  kmboyett | Feb 20, 2018 |
As a murder of Mary Russell, it is a very good history of Mrs. Hudson, who had a very interesting life of her own. Mrs. Russell met Sherlock under trying circumstances and it could have gone very differently. But, the characters being who they were, things went on a much more intriguing trail for all of them. It turns out Mrs. Hudson has some very useful talents we have not been privy to......
She should have her own series of books intertwining with these. ( )
  bgknighton | Jan 1, 2018 |
THE MURDER OF MARY RUSSELL is the fourteenth book in the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series, and I have read every single one of the books. This series is actually one of my absolute favorites, and to say that I've been waiting to read this book is an understatement.

READ THE WHOLE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
For my sister, Lynn Difley, who devotes her life to encouraging white-haired folk to find their strength.
9:15 a.m.

Irony comes in many flavours, sweet to bitter.

Mary Russell is used to dark secrets—her own, and those of her famous partner and husband, Sherlock Holmes. Trust is a thing slowly given, but over the course of a decade together, the two have forged an indissoluble bond.

And what of the other person to whom Mary Russell has opened her heart: the couple’s longtime housekeeper, Mrs. Hudson? Russell’s faith and affection are suddenly shattered when a man arrives on the doorstep claiming to be Mrs. Hudson’s son.

What Samuel Hudson tells Russell cannot possibly be true, yet she believes him—as surely as she believes the threat of the gun in his hand. In a devastating instant, everything changes. And when the scene is discovered—a pool of blood on the floor, the smell of gunpowder in the air—the most shocking revelation of all is that the grim clues point directly to Clara Hudson.

Or rather to Clarissa, the woman she was before Baker Street.

The key to Russell’s sacrifice lies in Mrs. Hudson’s past. To uncover the truth, a frantic Sherlock Holmes must put aside his anguish and push deep into his housekeeper’s secrets—to a time before her disguise was assumed, before her crimes were buried away.

There is death here, and murder, and trust betrayed.

And nothing will ever be the same.

"Has Laurie King followed in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's footsteps and killed off her protagonist? Sherlock Holmes is back in the latest in the New York Times bestselling series that Lee Child has hailed as "the most sustained feat of imagination in mystery fiction today"--but is Mary Russell? When the novel opens, the shabby carpet of 221B Baker Street is drenched in blood--and no one knows the fate of Mary Russell. Could this be the final performance for the world's best-known Holmesian author?"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Laurie R. King's book The Murder of Mary Russell is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laurie R. King's book The Murder of Mary Russell was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,032,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible