Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink

Welcome to Night Vale

by Joseph Fink, Jeffrey Cranor (Author)

Series: Welcome to Night Vale (Novel 1)

1,206609,637 (3.83)47
    This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong (ShelfMonkey)
    Discovering Scarfolk by Richard Littler (catfantastic)
    Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves (Aula)
    Aula: Similarly odd town in America, where weird things happen. The two sister protagonists are younger (mid-teens), there is more of a horror element rather than fantasy, but there's a similar sense of oddness as in the Nightvale books.

Two women protagonists go in search of a secret which takes them out of Night vale to California; meanwhile we have interjected commentary from Cecil's radio show which isn't really connected to the plot, such as it is. I thought that the Cecil sections were funny and sinister and kept the spirit of the podcast. I was less impressed by the main plot, which started promisingly, faffed around a lot in the middle and finally reached something like a conclusion. I didn't get a strong feel for the main characters' motivations. It is a decent enough read but not as epic as the original medium. ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 2, 2018 |
A really great, enjoyable read. As a fan of the podcast it truly lived up to, and exceeded my expectations, by not only encompassing everything mystic and wondrous about Night Vale, but expanding and adding to the universe at hand. On top of the general atmospheric particulars, it also featured a great story, with positive female friendships and engaging, nuanced characters, especially the female ones. Overall I'd recommend this to anybody who's a fan of the podcast, but also anyone who loves the mystical and weird. ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |
Stellar. Just, stellar. Great plot, well written, weird but not unmanageable, deep but not dense or pretentious. I like the podcast but I loved this book! My only complaint is that once or twice in the book I felt like I was listening to a comedian who has toured so many times they just reword their most popular jokes, but this is a super minor complaint and only happened once or twice. ( )
  ThatOneLibrarian | Aug 18, 2018 |
Found this to be an interesting story telling method. Multiple plots yet with similar situations until finally some merge. The addition of the "radio station" and the humor brought chuckles. I'll be looking for other books in the series. ( )
  gac53 | Aug 18, 2018 |
Welcome to Night Vale is a novel based on an apparently popular podcast. I had not heard of the podcast before reading this book, so I am reviewing it as a Night Vale newbie. I did not feel that not having experienced the podcast mattered to the novel (although I am sure there were plenty of allusions to things in the podcast that I missed).

Night Vale is a peculiar town in the middle of a dessert. It is a quirky place where the unusual is mundane. There are two main characters in this story. One is a single mother of a 15 year old boy. She is trying to figure out why she is the only one that remembers one of her coworkers who mysteriously disappeared. The other is a young girl (who has been 19 for a long time) that works in pawn shop who has a mysterious piece of paper that she can't get rid of no matter what she does it reappears in her hand. This is ruining her life and she is determined to make it stop.

If you do not have the patience for weird stuff that makes no sense, this is not the book for you. If you can get beyond the confusing style of the novel, then it is an interesting book about friendship, growing up, and becoming stronger. The characters were interesting and I liked how they grew throughout the book. I also wanted to know a lot more about the supporting characters in the town (I am sure that the podcast includes them in its episodes). At first, I was not sure of the book, but once I got to the end, I really liked how the story and the main characters evolved. It had some good messages that I think different people can relate to, even if they are not from a town where the unusual is usual.

The style was difficult in the beginning, but it eventually grew on me. ( )
  Cora-R | Jun 20, 2018 |

Wandel, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, RobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Meg Bashwiner
and to Jillian Sweeney.
The history of the town of Night Vale is long and complicated, reaching back thousands of years to the earliest indigenous people in the desert. We will cover none of it here.
Pawnshops in Night Vale work like this.

From the creators of the wildly popular Welcome to Night Vale podcast comes an imaginative mystery of appearances and disappearances that is also a poignant look at the ways in which we all struggle to find ourselves...no matter where we live.

"Hypnotic and darkly funny. . . . Belongs to a particular strain of American gothic that encompasses The Twilight Zone, Stephen King and Twin Peaks, with a bit of Tremors thrown in."--The Guardian

Diane's search to reconnect with her son and Jackie's search for her former routine life collide as they find themselves coming back to two words: "KING CITY". It is King City that holds the key to both of their mysteries, and their futures...if they can ever find it.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 23:21:07 -0400)

Located in a nameless desert somewhere in the great American Southwest, Night Vale is a small town where ghosts, angels, aliens, and government conspiracies are all commonplace parts of everyday life. It is here that the lives of two women, with two mysteries, will converge. Nineteen-year-old Night Vale pawn shop owner Jackie Fierro is given a paper marked "KING CITY" by a mysterious man in a tan jacket holding a deer skin suitcase. Everything about him and his paper unsettles her, especially the fact that she can't seem to get the paper to leave her hand, and that no one who meets this man can remember anything about him. Jackie is determined to uncover the mystery of King City and the man in the tan jacket before she herself unravels. Night Vale PTA treasurer Diane Crayton's son, Josh, is moody and also a shape shifter. And lately Diane's started to see her son's father everywhere she goes, looking the same as the day he left years earlier, when they were both teenagers. Josh, looking different every time Diane sees him, shows a stronger and stronger interest in his estranged father, leading to a disaster Diane can see coming, even as she is helpless to prevent it. Diane's search to reconnect with her son and Jackie's search for her former routine life collide as they find themselves coming back to two words: "KING CITY". It is King City that holds the key to both of their mysteries, and their futures ... if they can ever find it.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible