Welcome To Night Vale (Em Portugues do…

Welcome To Night Vale (Em Portugues do Brasil) (edition 2016)

by Joseph Fink | Jeffrey Cranor (Author)

Series: Welcome to Night Vale (Novel 1)

Located in a nameless desert somewhere in the great American Southwest, Night Vale is a small town where ghosts, angels, aliens, and government conspiracies are all commonplace parts of everyday life. It is here that the lives of two women, with two mysteries, will converge. Nineteen-year-old Night Vale pawn shop owner Jackie Fierro is given a paper marked "KING CITY" by a mysterious man in a tan jacket holding a deer skin suitcase. Everything about him and his paper unsettles her, especially the fact that she can't seem to get the paper to leave her hand, and that no one who meets this man can remember anything about him. Jackie is determined to uncover the mystery of King City and the man in the tan jacket before she herself unravels. Night Vale PTA treasurer Diane Crayton's son, Josh, is moody and also a shape shifter. And lately Diane's started to see her son's father everywhere she goes, looking the same as the day he left years earlier, when they were both teenagers. Josh, looking different every time Diane sees him, shows a stronger and stronger interest in his estranged father, leading to a disaster Diane can see coming, even as she is helpless to prevent it. Diane's search to reconnect with her son and Jackie's search for her former routine life collide as they find themselves coming back to two words: "KING CITY". It is King City that holds the key to both of their mysteries, and their futures ... if they can ever find it.… (more)
Member:izaperkoski
Title:Welcome To Night Vale (Em Portugues do Brasil)
Authors:Joseph Fink | Jeffrey Cranor (Author)
Info:Intrinseca (2016)

Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink (Author)

This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong (ShelfMonkey)
    Discovering Scarfolk by Richard Littler (catfantastic, Aula)
    Aula: Very similar setting of a very odd town that doesn't seem to exist on any map, filled with odd people and even odder conventions.
    Oddity by Sarah Cannon (Aula)
    Aula: Same kind of totally-weird-but-normalised town: in this case, zombie rabbits, face-eating spiders, puppets protecting the town, etc. Not an adult novel (reading age 10-12) but worth a read if you like Night Vale's strangeness.
    Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves (Aula)
    Aula: Similarly odd town in America, where weird things happen. The two sister protagonists are younger (mid-teens), there is more of a horror element rather than fantasy, but there's a similar sense of oddness as in the Nightvale books.

Short review: If I weren't a fan of the podcast, this would probably have gotten three stars. It celebrates its strangeness a little too much for my taste in the first half (which works great most of the time in the twenty minutes of the podcast episode but gets a little tedious here) but really picks up in the second.

This book is also really a coming-of-age tale (or two} and I suspect there is more symbolism to that effect in it than I could really pick up on during the first read. And I actually look forward to doing a second round (although not immediately), and that can't be a bad sign. ( )
  SpookyFM | Jan 18, 2021 |
Totally absurd and lots of fun ( )
  A2Seamster | Jan 13, 2021 |
WHAT DID I THINK: I thought this novel was fine? just fine? neither super fantastic nor super terrible; just fine. the writing was fine, and the story itself was reasonably good, but it read like a very very very very long episode of WtNV, which isn't bad! in fact, I bet the audiobook version will be amazing! but some of the things that make Night Vale so compelling to me when I'm hearing about it in 20-30 minute podcasts - constant surveillance, secret police, the faceless old woman who lives in your home, the library - didn't translate as well when that's all there is, that's the entire world these people inhabit, and the only things I can relate to are the people themselves, except the people are not that interesting. some interesting things happen to them and a integral WtNV podcast question is eventually answered, but there was a whole lot of tedium in-between, and that was a bit of a bummer.

on the other hand, THE LIBRARY WAS AMAZING. as were the angels, tho we all know angels are not real and shouldn't acknowledge them as such. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
Read as audiobook - took many months to finish. Overall, I enjoyed it, but at time, really wanted the story to move along faster. The ending felt incomplete somehow. ( )
  tattooedreader13 | Aug 27, 2020 |
I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. Welcome To Night Vale captures the bizarre, fascinating, and oddly hopeful town of Night Vale from the famous podcast of the same name. The book focuses on two women, Jackie and Diane. Jackie has been nineteen for decades and wants to grow up. Diane is worried about her moody, shape-shifting teenage son, Josh. When both women encounter a mysterious stranger in a tan jacket who gives them each a slip of paper that says "KING CITY"; their lives begin to intersect with one another, and with a strangely helpful blond man. The book has several references to the podcast; but not so many that it becomes obnoxious, and understanding them isn't necessary to understanding the story. The characters were likable and fairly complex, and the plot resolved in a satisfying and logical way. The writing and dialogue veered a little too far into exposition at times for my tastes, but overall I thought it did a pretty good job of walking the line between unsettling and intriguing. Fans of Night Vale will probably adore this book, but people who don't listen to the podcast can still enjoy the story. ( )
  Rachel_Hultz | Aug 15, 2020 |

Wilson, RobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Meg Bashwiner
and to Jillian Sweeney.
The history of the town of Night Vale is long and complicated, reaching back thousands of years to the earliest indigenous people in the desert. We will cover none of it here.
Pawnshops in Night Vale work like this.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,906,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible