The road to Little Dribbling : more notes…

The road to Little Dribbling : more notes from a small island (edition 2015)

by Bill Bryson

The hilarious and loving sequel to a hilarious and loving classic of travel writing: Notes from a Small Island, Bill Bryson's valentine to his adopted country of England. In 1995 Bill Bryson got into his car and took a weeks-long farewell motoring trip about England before moving his family back to the United States. The book about that trip, Notes from a Small Island, is uproarious and endlessly endearing, one of the most acute and affectionate portrayals of England in all its glorious eccentricity ever written. Two decades later, he set out again to rediscover that country, and the result is The Road to Little Dribbling.… (more)
Member:paulmorriss
Title:The road to Little Dribbling : more notes from a small island
Authors:Bill Bryson
Info:London : Transworld Digital, 2015.
Collections:Read but unowned

The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain by Bill Bryson

Recently added bypaswanson, jpbronco, private library, giumara, lindacampbell, akrnr, smeutgeert
    Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (dajashby)
    dajashby: Twenty years earlier, Bryson hits on the winning formula. Every bit as amusing.
    Real Cardiff by Peter Finch (darllenwr_brwd)
    darllenwr_brwd: If you want to focus on the contemporary and the historical of a city bypassed by Bryson this may be for you.

English (83)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (85)
Book about travel; funny with good lessons. ( )
  SeasideBookClub | Sep 3, 2019 |
It’s some years since I have read any work by Bill Bryson. I think the last one was the impressive social history ‘At Home’, but I had originally come to him through his quirky travel books.

I was not disappointed by ‘The Road to Little Dribbling’, in fact I was delighted. I was so pleased to see that Bryson has aged over the years into a grumpy old man - something I am (quite unfairly) accused of by my own family.

Whether it’s trying to get some (or less) service in a shop, getting stuck on a narrow country road with agricultural machinery bearing down menacingly on him, or being the subject of an intervention in a McDonald’s restaurant, Bryson confronts the problems that every tourist or visitor encounters, and manages to survive after swearing at his provocateurs in his mind’s conversation.

His descriptions of places and their history shows a real affection for the UK and its people, but he is also unafraid to be very critical when the mood takes him.

I have never visited the UK, but when I do it will be Bill Bryson’s book I will use to plan my trip. ( )
  buttsy1 | Aug 27, 2019 |
Bill Bryson is always fun to read. He takes you on a journey and shows you just enough of the places he visits to entice, but not so much as to bog you down in details. In this book he revisits the country that he has called home for much of his life, a sequel of sorts to 'Notes From a Small Island.'

The book was fun and easy to read, full of anecdotes that tend to start with 'I first visited X when I was younger, and this funny thing happened to me...' He also peppers his text with short biographies of the famous (and far less famous) people who made Britain what it is.

The problem here is that he spends so much of his time down in the south that by the time he reaches the north we're already two-thirds through the book, and Scotland barely receives a mention. I've been in Scotland for the last six weeks and thoroughly love the place - it would have been nice to see Bryson explore it as much as I have of late. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Aug 3, 2019 |
Disappointing. I have generally enjoyed Bryson's books, and the parts of this that resembled his previous travel writing (interesting little-known historical anecdotes, loving descriptions of scenery, etc.) were good, but I was frequently thrown out of my enjoyment by a weird rant about how some person or group of people is terrible and should preferably die a painful death, particularly young people, people who like things that Bryson doesn't like and Katie Price.

I especially disliked the story about his "most outstanding moment of manliness in life", in which, after telling some guy to stop yelling at a female bookshop employee, he heroically did not hit on her because "unfortunately, she was only about four feet tall and nearly spherical".

(also, at one point he wrote "I like Norfolk", which is plainly ridiculous. ;p) ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
I enjoy reading Bryson's travel books and this one is very good. He travels around the United Kingdom visiting places he covered in an earlier book and some new sites. The areas he loves are magnificently described and those places or people he dislikes are disparaged in grumpy, mean ways. In other words, Bill Bryson in his own inimitable style. ( )
  terran | May 19, 2019 |

Bryson, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Diderich, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Osgood, NathanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James, Rosie, and Daphne. Welcome.
Before I went there for the first time, about all I knew about Bognor Regis, beyond how to spell it, was that some British monarch, at some uncertain point in the past, in a moment of deathbed acerbity, called out the words 'Bugger Bognor' just before expiring, though which monarch it was and why his parting wish on earth was to see a medium-sized English coastal resort sodomized are questions I could not answer.

Twenty years ago, Bill Bryson went on a trip around Britain to celebrate the green and kindly island that had become his adopted country. The hilarious book that resulted, Notes from a Small Island, was taken to the nation's heart and became the bestselling travel book ever, and was also voted in a BBC poll the book that best represents Britain. Now, to mark the twentieth anniversary of that modern classic, Bryson makes a brand-new journey round Britain to see what has changed. Following (but not too closely) a route he dubs the Bryson Line, from Bognor Regis to Cape Wrath, by way of places that many people never get to at all, Bryson sets out to rediscover the wondrously beautiful, magnificently eccentric, endearingly unique country that he thought he knew but doesn't altogether recognize any more. Yet, despite Britain's occasional failings and more or less eternal bewilderments, Bill Bryson is still pleased to call our rainy island home. And not just because of the cream teas, a noble history, and an extra day off at Christmas. Once again, with his matchless homing instinct for the funniest and quirkiest, his unerring eye for the idiotic, the endearing, the ridiculous and the scandalous, Bryson gives us an acute and perceptive insight into all that is best and worst about Britain today.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,532,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible