Early Riser: The new standalone novel from…

Early Riser: The new standalone novel from the Number One bestselling… (edition 2018)

by Jasper Fforde (Author)

Member:Alirob
Title:Early Riser: The new standalone novel from the Number One bestselling author
Authors:Jasper Fforde (Author)
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2018), 416 pages
Collections:Ebooks, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Comedy, SF

Early Riser: A Novel by Jasper Fforde

Jasper Fforde is back with another absurd world to explore - one in which humans hibernate and Wales is subject to extreme cold most of the year. Charlie is our guide through the customs and perils of Winter. Oh and zombies. It's a fun read. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 17, 2019 |
I found this book almost a little too aggressively quirky, but I still enjoyed it, though not as much as the Thursday Next books. Charlie is a likable protagonist and I love the development from novice to expert that you go through as the winter goes on. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jun 11, 2019 |
Delightful and satisfying.

Fforde is easy to describe as a genre author, dealing in alternative history. There is a clear premise or narrative dare, in this case winter is 100x more severe and requires hibernation. The plot and world are interesting and simple to comment on. It is enough to say this book has an interesting premise, well realized.

More difficult is describing the exuberance, creativity, and fun of the worlds he makes. There is a boundless, enthusiastic joy radiating from the work that is a great pleasure to read (and seems like a great pleasure to write). As a fan of his work, this one is a wonderful addition. Here's hoping there are more in this world (AFTER we get more Shades of Grey). ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
I was very disappointed in this book. I've really enjoyed this author's books in the past, but, (pun kind of intended) this one left me cold. ( )
  CatherineMarie | May 2, 2019 |
Pretty odd, even for a Fforde book. A pretty fascinating idea, but the uneven world-building made it a strangely tough book to get into. But I'm very glad to see him back in action and look forward to whatever's coming next! ( )
  JBD1 | Apr 25, 2019 |
But Fforde brings it around in the end. His relentless imagination and his affection for his characters are contagious and irresistible. If you’re already a fan of his [...], then you don’t need any convincing. If you are not yet familiar with Fforde’s extended universe, a different volume would probably be a better place to start.

Charlie’s confused but determined mundanity is a relatable anchor in this wild winter world, leavened by Fforde’s surrealistic humor.
added by ScattershotSteph | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 12, 2018)

Charlie’s journey through the especially isolated and dangerous area called Sector Twelve, where there's "always something weird going on," is so absorbing, and Fforde’s wit so sharp, the reveal that the narrative is also a commentary on capitalism comes across as a brilliant twist.

It’s interesting in the end, and full of neat ideas that hold a far-from-flattering mirror to elements of our own existence, but so poorly paced and plot heavy that the remainder is the rub. Similarly, the setting is engrossing and almost criminally original, but Albion is a world built on the back of interminable info-dumps and masses of jargon. And all this hangs on a central character who might be witty and well-meaning, but proves so exasperatingly passive that even he might as well be asleep.

For

Rhulen Marya Ivy Anna Fforde-Gorringe
Made in Australia but inspired by Wales
...and who knows a thing or two about hibernation
Mrs Tiffen could play the bouzouki.
"I could talk about loyalty and the cold, Tunnocks Teacakes and the desolate beauty. Of the code that glues us winterers together, or the loneliness of the souls who call it home. But I think the one thing that struck me is that the Winter isn't a season - it's a calling."

"Every Winter, the human population hibernates. During those bitterly cold four months, the nation is a snow-draped landscape of desolate loneliness, devoid of human activity. Well, not quite. Your name is Charlie Worthing and it's your first season with the Winter Consuls, the committed but mildly unhinged group of misfits who are responsible for ensuring the hibernatory safe passage of the sleeping masses. You are investigating an outbreak of viral dreams which you dismiss as nonsense; nothing more than a quirky artefact borne of the sleeping mind. When the dreams start to kill people, it's unsettling. When you get the dreams too, it's weird. When they start to come true, you begin to doubt your sanity. But teasing truth from the Winter is never easy: You have to avoid the Villains and their penchant for murder, kidnapping, and stamp collecting, ensure you aren't eaten by Nightwalkers, whose thirst for human flesh can only be satisfied by comfort food, and sidestep the increasingly less-than-mythical WinterVolk. But so long as you remember to wrap up warmly, you'll be fine."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,558,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible