Corridors of the Night by Anne Perry

Corridors of the Night

by Anne Perry

Series: William Monk novels (21)

This could have been a really good book!! The premise was amazing. The invention of blood transfusions without the knowledge of blood type must have been harrowing to endure as a doctor or nurse. To not know why the blood from this person worked...

Unfortunately, I have to agree with other reviewers who mentioned this book being "phoned in". So many errors. ( )
  MommaTracey | Jul 24, 2017 |
In this 21st installment of the William Monk series, Hester Monk takes front and center when she agrees to fill in for a nursing associate from the Crimea at a private hospital. Being on the night shift, she unexpectedly meets a small girl in the corridor saying that her brother is dying. What Hester finds is a small boy who has been used for a blood donor excessively and is now extremely dehydrated. Taking the responsibility of nursing this child instead of the main ward where she was assigned, Hester gets herself caught in a web of secrecy and eventually is kidnapped. Realizing that the only way to protect the children used in an unauthorized medical experiment is to participate, Hester is caught up in the intrigue.

Monk, in the meantime, is determined to find his wife when she doesn't return home and no one at the hospital can tell him where she is.

The medical aspects of this tale were interesting, relating the out of date procedures of over 100 years ago for the treatment of Leukemia. Using transfusions at this time were a hit or miss event since the discovery of the current blood types wasn't made until 1901. ( )
  cyderry | Jun 13, 2016 |
Not as good has past Monk mysteries, I found Hester's morality a little too above reproach. ( )
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an audiobook I 'read' on a drive and it was interesting enough to keep me alert and engaged. Not the best mystery I've ever read, but I have not yet read Perrys Monk series at all and can now try it. It was interesting, but without some of the background on Monk, assumed a bit much. Interesting if a bit far fetched ( )
  VictoriaJZ | May 21, 2016 |
I saw [The Zookeeper's Wife] several times at the local library several times before I decided to read it. This year I am trying to read books from my bookshelf with a new one thrown in every 2 weeks or so. This allows me not to fall too far behind on what others are reading also. The reason I hesitated on this book is the fact that I am always reluctant to read about the Holocaust. I am horrified, no matter how often I read about it, and empathetic and sympathetic to the point that I often can't appreciate anything else about the book beyond the horror and criminality of the acts of otherwise "rational" people. ( )
  mmignano11 | Apr 2, 2016 |

Perry, AnneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colacci, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DiGrado, KathleenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fielding, Nathan TheodoreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my editor at 10/18, Valentine Baillehache,
and to Marie-Laure Pascaud in Publicity
The small gas lamps along the walls of the corridor flickered as if there were a draught, but Hester knew, it being well after midnight, that all the doors were closed.

Anne Perry, that incomparable novelist of life in Victorian England, has once again surpassed herself with this twenty-first installment of her New York Times bestselling William Monk series. In Corridors of the Night, nurse Hester Monk and her husband, William, commander of the Thames River Police, do desperate battle with two obsessed scientists who in the name of healing have turned to homicide.

The monomaniacal Rand brothers—Magnus, a cunning doctor, and Hamilton, a genius chemist—are utterly ruthless in their pursuit of a cure for the fatal “white-blood disease.” In London’s Royal Naval Hospital annex, Hester is tending one of the brothers’ dying patients—wealthy Bryson Radnor—when she stumbles upon three weak, terrified young children, and learns to her horror that they’ve been secretly purchased and imprisoned by the Rands for experimental purposes.

But the Rand brothers are too close to a miracle cure to allow their experiments to be exposed. Before Hester can reveal the truth, she too becomes a prisoner. As Monk and his faithful friends—distinguished lawyer Oliver Rathbone and reformed brothel keeper Squeaky Robinson among them—scour London’s grimy streets and the beautiful English countryside searching for her, Hester’s time, as well as the children’s, is quickly draining away.

Taut with intrigue and laced with white-knuckled terror, Corridors of the Night is Anne Perry at her magnificent, unforgettable best.

Praise for Anne Perry and Her William Monk novels

Blood on the Water

“One of Ms. Perry’s most engrossing books . . . gallops to a dramatic conclusion.”The Washington Times

Blind Justice

“[Perry’s] courtroom scenes have the realism of Scott Turow.”Huntington News

A Sunless Sea

“Anne Perry’s Victorian mysteries are marvels.”The New York Times Book Review

Acceptable Loss

“Masterful storytelling and moving dialogue.”The Star-Ledger

Execution Dock

“[An] engrossing page-turner . . . There’s no one better at using words to paint a scene and then fill it with sounds and smells than Anne Perry.”The Boston Globe

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:49:27 -0400)

"When William Monk's wife, Hester, is kidnapped from the hospital where she volunteers, Monk is desperate to rescue her. But when his investigation leads him to the remote home of the wealthy and enigmatic Bryson Radnor--and to several bodies buried on his grounds--Monk realizes there is far more to Hester's kidnapping than meets the eye. What did Hester learn that made her a danger to Radnor? What are the two doctors Hester was working with at the hospital hiding? And most pressing of all--will Monk be able to find his beloved wife before it's too late?"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anne Perry's book Corridors of the Night was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,988,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible