First & Then by Emma Mills

First & Then (2015)

by Emma Mills

Swoon x a zillion. ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |
I really liked this book. The characters the setting the dialogue - not too cheesy - and retaining the realistic day to day ins and outs of conversation and being human - making mistakes. It held the Jane Austen essence that was prevalent throughout Pride and Prejudice (btw my fave). I finished this in a couple hours and would happily read again and again ( )
  Nightrune | Feb 28, 2018 |
Devon doesn’t want anything to change. She wants to keep putting off plans for college and secretly crushing on her best friend Cas, but when her cousin Foster comes to live with them and the infuriating Ezra, the star running back, starts paying attention to her, she knows that things will never be the same.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Feb 22, 2018 |
For someone who doesn't read a lot of contemporary, I wasn't quite sure what I was going to think of this book. I got it in my Uppercase box, and figured, why not try it out? And boy, was I surprised :) I really enjoyed it! The characters were great and the MC really grew and developed throughout the novel. I related to Devon, even though I've never been in her situation. She was sweet, smart, and I loved her humour :) Also, those Jane Austen references :) It was a cute, fun, fast read and I would recommend it to anyone who just wants a light-hearted and awesome contemporary :) ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
First & Then is about high school, (American) football, rereading Jane Austen, embracing change and making new friends.

As Devon enters her senior year, she’s uninspired about writing college applications, unimpressed about having to do PE with a bunch of freshmen, uncertain about having her 14 year old cousin Foster come to stay, and holding onto unrequited feelings for her best friend.

This is a hopeful, deftly handled story. I really enjoyed this.

As far as I was concerned, physical education was evil.
You take a bunch of teenagers, make them strip down in front of each other in a locker room, have them don hideous matching uniforms, and then measure their worth based on their ability to chuck balls at a net, into a hoop, or at each other. It was just. Evil.

Also:

House parties weren't my favourite, but because it was the first one of the year, I felt obligated to go. As I made my way over to Martin Lahey's house, I wished it could be more like how it had been in Jane's time: ordering a carriage, wearing a gorgeous gown, having your name announced when you came into the room. Real dancing to real music. Some sense of decorum. In short, nobody throwing up in the bushes. ( )
  Herenya | Nov 18, 2017 |
For Mama, Poppy, Hannah, and David
My college essay was titled "School Lunches, TS High, and Me," and it was every bit as terrible as you'd expect.

Devon is a high school senior, wondering if she really wants to go to college, what to do with her cousin Foster (a freshman) who has moved in with her family in Florida, and whether she likes Ezra, the stuck-up football star at her school, or cannot stand him.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,097,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible