The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo

The Redbreast (original 2000; edition 2007)

by Jo Nesbo, Don Bartlett (Translator)

Member:bfister
Title:The Redbreast
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Other authors:Don Bartlett (Translator)
Info:Harper (2007), Hardcover, 528 pages
Tags:Oslo, Norway, neo-Nazis, Nazi occupation, World War II, assassination, crime fiction

The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo (2000)

English (90)  German (3)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (101)
Harry Hole is in Norway this time, and when he gets "mysteriously" promoted to Inspector in another division, he's put on to a Neo-Nazi case that's going nowhere. But then his old partner is found beaten to a pulp, right after she rang him about something extremely important to do with a rare type of gun being illegally imported in to Norway and he's racing against time to try and find it-and its owner.

The Harry Hole books are great reads. They're fast-paced, wonderfully written (or translated) and keep your attention for hours. But they can be read straight through in a day and aren't specifically engaging, though I am early-on in the series so I'm sure Mr Nesbo got better with age and experience. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
i was a bit skeptical when i started reading this book as this was my first JO NESBO... and fairly enoough the starting was very slow so i thought that i had got myself a bad deal...bt soon as the pages lept turning the mystrey started building and at one point of time the mystry bcame so fanatical that i had to suppress a huge urge to gt to the final pages and know what the mystry was...

so all in all it was a good read..
and the way nesbo has connected n convrtd the story...itz a definit pageturnr ( )
  abhidd1687 | Mar 26, 2015 |
When they advertise Jo Nesbø as ‘The Next Steig Larsson’, I’m inclined to pass on this author. But since a lot of people seem to be raving about this author, I thought I better check him out, especially when they class his Harry Hole series as Hard-Boiled. I’ve found the only reason they are calling him the next Larsson is simply because he is another Scandinavian crime writer; which means some overly graphic murders, Nazis and an expected twist. The Redbreast is the third book in the Harry Hole novel but the first available in English. Hole is investigating neo-Nazi activity which leads him to further explore Norway’s activities on the Eastern Front during WWII.

Full review can be found on my blog; http://literary-exploration.com/2012/05/06/book-review-the-redbreast/ ( )
  knowledge_lost | Mar 16, 2015 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

I have to say the reader consensus on this series is correct -- it really doesn't get good until Book 3. I previously reviewed Cockroaches, the second Harry Hole book, after DNFing The Bat, the first in series, and I mentioned that I would give this series a chance to get on its legs. Well, it finally has, and I'm glad I stuck around long enough for it to get there.

I really enjoyed the colorful cast of characters in this book. We have cops, politicians, ex-soldiers, Neo-Nazis, and an array of other interesting secondary characters that really keep this book going at all times. While there are a few lulls in the plot here and there, the characters keep the story running strong, and the most interesting aspect of the book is how tightly interconnected all these characters are, how the actions and motivations of one affect the others, cause chain reactions that will reverberate in character development for many books to come.

The plot of this book, in full, wasn't too shabby either. It did get a bit slow every now and then, but the characters managed to keep me immersed in the novel even when the events around them weren't particularly interesting. Overall, this book shapes up to be a great murder mystery, one built through a rich and well-researched history of Norway and World War II, although it does take some time to build -- but once it hits that final mad dash toward the climax, it really reels you in.

That said, there were few a things here and there that annoyed me. The author pulls one of those phone call scenes where a character doesn't reveal crucial information -- for no supportable reason -- in order to keep that information hidden from the protagonist long enough to artificially escalate a conflict between the protagonist and a major antagonist. I hate that trope -- the "unfinished" or "too vague" phone call -- because it so often requires a perfectly intelligent character to act several grades dumber than usual in order for it to work properly. As in this case.

I think that was the one event that annoyed me most in this book, that stupid phone call.

Other than that, I thought the plot could have played out stronger, especially in the middle, where it dragged, and I think the book could have gone without so much heavy-handed foreshadowing and questionable use of dramatic irony.

But, all in all, it was a pretty good read, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  TherinKnite | Feb 24, 2015 |
As I suspected, a mystery was my first completed book of 2015. Harry Hole gets himself into a mess again, with diplomatic overtones, but this is in Norway for a change. He's still fighting the bottle, and because of the aforementioned mess he's moved to another staff and promoted to disguise the mix-up. But he's already on the track of an unusual gun, identified by shell casings, that could only be meant as a weapon of assassination. Who bought it, when will it be used, and why?

Nesbo takes the reader back to World War II and the era of Quisling and the Norwegian volunteers against the Soviet Union on the eastern front. The fighting, the trenches, the cameraderie are vivid. In that icy horror, Nesbo gives the reader the clues that Harry has to dig out 50 years later.

In the midst of it all, Harry actually falls in love. But the web of his lover, the history of the war, and the menace of that gun are very tangled. I almost had the answer before Harry did - I knew who he was looking for before he did, but I couldn't figure out the present day identity of the man in time. All in all, excellent. ( )
  ffortsa | Jan 4, 2015 |

Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maar stilaan vatte hij moed, vloog dichterbij
en trok met zijn snavel een doorn, die in het hoofd
van de gekruisigde was gedrongen, uit.

Maar terwijl hij dit deed, viel er een druppel bloed van de
gekruisigde op de keel van de vogel. Die verspreidde zich snel
en kleurde al zijn zachte borstveertjes.

Maar de gekruisigde deed zijn lippen van elkaar en fluisterde tegen
de vogel: "Door jouw barmhartigheid heb je nu verworven wat je voorgeslacht
al sinds de schepping van de aarde begeerd heeft.

- Selma Lagerlöf - Christuslegende

But little by little he gained courage, flew close to him, and drew with his little bill a thorn that had becomw embedded in the brow of the Crucified One.  And as he did this there fell on his breast a drop of blood from the face of the Crucified One - it spread quickly and floated out and colored all the little fine breast feathers.Then the Crucified One opened his lips and whispered to the bird:'Because of thy compassion, thou hast won all that thy kind have been striving after, ever since the world was created.'

Selma Lagerlöf, Robin Redbreast, Christ Legends
A grey bird glided in and out of Harry's field of vision
Maar stilaan vatte hij moed, vloog dichterbij
en trok met zijn snavel een doorn, die in het hoofd
van de gekruisigde was gedrongen, uit.

Maar terwijl hij dit deed, viel er een druppel bloed van de
gekruisigde op de keel van de vogel. Die verspreidde zich snel
en kleurde al zijn zachte borstveertjes.

Maar de gekruisigde deed zijn lippen van elkaar en fluisterde tegen
de vogel: "Door jouw barmhartigheid heb je nu verworven wat je voorgeslacht
al sinds de schepping van de aarde begeerd heeft.

- Selma Lagerlöf - Christuslegende

Original title: Rødstrupe

It is 1944: Daniel, a soldier, legendary among the Norwegians fighting the advance of Bolshevism on the Russian front, is killed. Two years later, a wounded soldier wakes up in a Vienna hospital. He becomes involved with a young nurse, the consequences of which will ripple forward to the turn of the next century.

In 1999, Harry Hole, alone again after having caused an embarrassment in the line of duty, has been promoted to inspector and is lumbered with surveillance duties. He is assigned the task of monitoring neo-Nazi activities; fairly mundane until a report of a rare and unusual gun being fired sparks his interest. Ellen Gjelten, his partner, makes a startling discovery. Then a former soldier is found with his throat cut. In a quest that takes him to South Africa and Vienna, Harry finds himself perpetually one step behind the killer. He will be both winner and loser by the novel’s nail-biting conclusion.

Detective Harry Hole embarrassed the force, and for his sins he’s been reassigned to mundane surveillance tasks. But while monitoring neo-Nazi activities in Oslo, Hole is inadvertently drawn into a mystery with deep roots in Norway’s dark past—when members of the nation’s government willingly collaborated with Nazi Germany. More than sixty years later, this black mark won’t wash away, and disgraced old soldiers who once survived a brutal Russian winter are being murdered, one by one. Now, with only a stained and guilty conscience to guide him, an angry, alcoholic, error-prone policeman must make his way safely past the traps and mirrors of a twisted criminal mind. For a hideous conspiracy is rapidly taking shape around Hole—and Norway’s darkest hour may still be to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:14 -0400)

"Detective Harry Hole embarrassed the force, and for his sins he's been reassigned to mundane surveillance tasks. But while monitoring neo-Nazi activities in Oslo, Hole is inadvertently drawn into a mystery with deep roots in Norway's dark past, when members of the government willingly collaborated with Nazi Germany. More than sixty years later, this black mark won't wash away--and disgraced old soldiers who once survived a brutal Russian winter are being murdered, one by one"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,694,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible