Stars and Stripes in Peril (Stars & Stripes…

Stars and Stripes in Peril (Stars & Stripes Trilogy) (2000)

by Harry Harrison

Series: Stars & Stripes (book 2)

196185,027 (3.15)3

This one's the sequel to Stars and Stripes Forever". I read Peril because I had picked it up before I had obtained Forever. While I was unimpressed with Forever, I have a very hard time letting a book leave my reading stack without reading it, hence my reading and hence this review. It was more of the same, really. After the events of Forever, Britain has no intention of losing gracefully and so starts up shenanigans in Mexico. The United States responds down south, but also thinks about starting a second front over in the British Isles. It wasn't a horrible read but, like its predecessor 'twas but waiting room material. Now I can let it leave my reading stack with a clear conscience.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Jan 29, 2016 |

Harry Harrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Choi, MinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freeman, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tomlinson, AngelinaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345409361, Mass Market Paperback)

Harry Harrison has been publishing science fiction for half a century; this novel appears in 2000, the year of his 75th birthday. His 1998 Stars and Stripes Forever was a foray into alternative history at the time of the U.S. Civil War. An opportunistic British invasion is so badly bungled that it unites warring Union and Confederate forces against the common enemy, and the course of events is rousingly changed.

Now it's 1863 and perfidious Albion is making a comeback via the Pacific, establishing a Mexican beachhead and planning attacks on united America's "soft underbelly" in the Gulf of Mexico. Gurkha and Sepoy troops build roads while sweaty white officers express nostalgia for England: "I despair of ever seeing her blissfully cold and fog-shrouded shores again."

An early coup of misdirection makes the British advance seem unstoppable--but America forges ahead with new guns and naval armor, and General Robert E. Lee devises an audacious counterblow. What better way to disrupt Britain's wicked schemes than to strike at her own rebellious province of Ireland?

Harrison, an American, perhaps overdoes the lofty dignity of figures like Abraham Lincoln, while showing British politicians with their full complement of warts. But the breathless, headlong action sweeps you away as the battle is planned and at last joined. Even hardened English patriots will feel a sense of wish-fulfillment at the possibility that America may solve the "Irish Question" for them. This is a rapid-paced, slightly slapdash, and unfailingly energetic adventure in alternate history--all great fun. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:56 -0400)

In this alternate history, it is 1863 and British troops from Mexico prepare to invade the United States through Texas. Lincoln sends Grant to counter the attack. In the meantime he has Lee and Sherman plan a naval invasion to launch an assault on British soil.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,074,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible