The Girls by Lisa Jewell

The Girls

by Lisa Jewell

The Girls is the first book by Lisa Jewell that I have read. I didn't really know what to expect and like to not read the blurb as sometimes it can give too much away.

The story follows a few neighbours that live in properties that have a large communal garden. The children of the families have grown up spending time in the garden. Clare and her two girls Grace and Pip move into one of the houses after a family problem. Every summer the residents hold an annual party in the garden and something goes horribly wrong.

The story starts at the party and then goes back to tell the story leading up to this point. I was expecting a thriller and for me the first part of the story is all about the residents, how they live their lives. The second part of the story is where it really gets going and everything is revealed, and for me this was the best part.

Overall I did enjoy the book and would read more by this author. At times I did feel the style of the story was very much like books by Liane Moriarty, whose books I have enjoyed in the past. For me this book was one where it held my attention as I wanted to see how it was going pan out. Not knowing what to expect I was quite surprised. ( )
  tina1969 | Mar 18, 2019 |
An enjoyable, suspenseful thriller set in a communal garden setting in London. Grace is found hurt in the garden one evening, and the novel then sets out to give background on the group of people who live around the garden. Some are odd, some eccentric, some sane, some crazy, but who hurt Grace? Plus, there is a long unsolved mysterious death that happened in the garden. How well do you know the people who are friends with your children? What are they capable of doing? Are you a good parent? How do you know? ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
The author's descriptive prose really brought the scenes to life for me. This particular community set-up seems alien to me, yet I could picture it vividly. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
In THE GIRLS IN THE GARDEN, Lisa Jewell starts by presenting many mysteries and builds up to the main who-done-it of the book. I enjoyed trying to figure it out; Jewell made me suspicious of everyone. Then, when I thought I knew, she added a twist. Her best twist of all left me undecided but in a good way. I ended up thinking how crafty of Jewell to do this to my imagination.

What the English refer to here as a garden, I would call a park with gardens in it but also playground equipment. Encircling this 3-acre private park are what I imagine are different types of condominiums and apartments (although this is not what they are called in the book). I would refer to this arrangement as a complex. Because of this complex arrangement, neighbors are involved with each other perhaps more than they might otherwise be.

So we learn enough about some of them to be suspicious when a tragedy occurs. And we learn more and more as one of the neighbors investigates and as a very smart 11-year-old questions what she sees.

Although THE GIRLS IN THE GARDEN involves several children who are 13 and under, which you may think would bore you, the story contains enough adult characters and material to keep your attention. I recommend it. ( )
  techeditor | Nov 13, 2018 |
A festive neighborhood party is taking place and Pip discovers her 13 year old sister, Grace, unconscious and bloody in a rose garden. What happened to her? And who is responsible? I have read a few other books by Lisa Jewell and really enjoyed them all but this one seemed to fall flat for me. I t was an interesting story but the end did not really make sense to me. If you want to read Lisa Jewell, I suggest you start with another of her books. ( )
1 vote EadieB | Oct 17, 2018 |
Dedicated to all my friends in the G&G garden.
Pip stands behind her mother in the tiny bathroom. She's not sure what to do. She's never seen her mother being sick before.

Deep in the heart of London, in a lush communal square, as a festive garden party is taking place, a thirteen year-old girl lies unconscious and bloody in a hidden corner. What really happened to her? And who is responsible? For fans of Liane Moriarty and Jojo Moyes comes a family drama with a dark mystery at its core, from New York Times bestselling author Lisa Jewell.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible