dismiss

Come Rain or Come Shine

by Jan Karon

Series: Mitford Years (13)

"Over the course of ten Mitford novels, fans have kept a special place in their hearts for Dooley Kavanagh, first seen in At Home in Mitford as a barefoot, freckle-faced boy in filthy overalls. Now, Father Tim Kavanagh's adopted son has graduated from vet school and opened his own animal clinic. Since money will be tight for a while, maybe he and Lace Harper, his once and future soul mate, should keep their wedding simple. So the plan is to eliminate the cost of catering and do potluck. Ought to be fun. An old friend offers to bring his well-known country band. Gratis. And once mucked out, the barn works as a perfect venue for seating family and friends. Piece of cake, right?" --… (more)

English (31)  Piratical (1)  All languages (32)
I have read a couple of the Mitford Series but not all of them. Big Mistake. If you are not familiar with the story and the characters you may be lost for a lot of this story, but I still enjoyed it.

The focus of the story is the month before and the day of "The Big Knot". Dooley and Lace have been in love forever and finally accepted this, became a couple and now with Dooley's graduation from veterinarian school, they are ready to get married. Throughout the story we hear portions of Lace's journal and the journey Lace and Dooley have taken as well as her feelings and prayers along the way. This does give some background so you can follow the story. With all the changes and costs of setting up a working farm and taking over a veterinarian practice, they want a small, intimate ceremony at Meadowgate Farm. They are going to get married at the farm, and the meal will be potluck in the barn, with dancing on the porch. Lace wants a simple dress that will cost her less than $100.00. Sounds simple and easy right? Not a chance. There are obstacles and annoyances. There are secrets and surprises. There is the constant pressure of whether everything will be ready on time. The appearance of long lost relatives is dealt with in an honest manner with hurt feelings, forgiveness but not necessarily open arms.

The biggest complaint I have with this story is that a large part of it was written using pronouns. When the chapter or page starts with he or she, I did not know who was speaking. I would finally figure out who was narrating that section of the story and the next paragraph was a different person. There were many, many characters in the story and I am still not sure of the relationship of a lot of them.

This is a christian series and if you have a problem with talk of God and prayers, you will not necessarily enjoy this book. I thought the spiritual aspect was perfect, well placed in the story and a large part of the lives of the characters. I will definitely have to go back and read through the whole series now so that I will learn the full story of all these wonderful characters.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
-- Dear God, Thank you for Jan Karon's gift to write novels. I borrowed the first or one of first Mitford novels years ago from a public library. Over the years I have borrowed them in sequential order from different public libraries. No matter where I live or the public library I patronize I enjoy the company of Father Tim & his flock. Karon's characters lead messy but sweet lives like Esther Bolick's famous Orange Marmalade Cake. When the world spins out of control I can rely on Father Kavanagh et al to slow it down. Amen -- ( )
  MinaIsham | Nov 19, 2018 |
Possibly the best book I have ever read (excepting the Bible, of course). Just so amazing! I absolutely loved it. And Jack Tyler. Oh my word! I loved that plot line. A MUST read! (obviously I liked it a lot, I finished it in 2 days!) ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
Great Christian series with characters you look forward to hearing more about. A Wedding is going to take place on the farm in this one
with a few Surprises along the way. ( )
  Barbaralois | Apr 6, 2018 |
Father Kavanaugh's adopted son has graduated from vet school and opened his own animal clinic - wedding in future.
  Indiancreek | Dec 13, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

For Gracie
"Hey, Dad."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,925,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible