Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of…

The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia) (original 1955; edition 2008)

by C. S. Lewis, Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.
Member:Karra.MCDS
Title:The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia)
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (1955)

English (279)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (292)
Well read. Enjoyed the artists rendering of voices for this. And I am old enough I believe to read fairy tales again!!! ( )
  aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
  Andy_DiMartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
For Christmas when I was 9 years old, my parents gave me a box set of The Chronicles of Narnia. I read and re-read those books until they literally fell apart. I loved the magical story of Narnia, Aslan, the Pevensies, the White Witch, Mr. Tumnus, Eustace, Prince Caspian, Reepicheep, and all the other lovely characters in the series. I re-read this series every few years because the stories are still incredibly enjoyable for me. Religious allegory and symbolism never enter my head as I read this series.....I enjoy it as delightful children's fantasy and leave the author's religious views out of it. The books do impart important lessons on friendship, loyalty, cowardice and bravery, respect, forgiveness, and love. Just a lovely book series for children and adults alike!

The Chronicles of Narnia is included in the list of 100 books and series for The Great American Read. So, as part of GAR, I'm re-reading this series. I started with The Magician's Nephew because even though this book was published as the fifth book of the series, it is a prequel to the other books explaining how Narnia was created.

I listened to an audio book version of this novel. At just under 4 hours long, it was an easy afternoon listen as I did housework and worked in my garden. Kenneth Branagh narrated. He read at a nice even pace. Despite my hearing loss, I could easily hear and understand the entire book. It was great to re-visit an old favorite! I'm currently on my library's waiting list for the next audio book: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I'm happy to be #16 waiting on 4 copies. The wait means that others are reading this lovely series, and that makes me happy! I have the "real'' book on my keeper shelf, of course. But I'm going to continue listening to audio book versions until I've listened to the whole series. Up til now I have read the books, watched video versions....but never an audio presentation. Loving it so far!

I totally support The Chronicles of Narnia being included in The Great American Read. I know as a young child the books gave me hours and hours of happiness....not to mention the British television series and the newer movies. Since the 1950s when the books were first published, this series has given so much joy and wonder to so many readers. It's just outstanding!

If I had to pick a favorite book from the series, I would have to go with The Horse and His Boy (Book 5). Favorite character -- easy choice for me -- Reepicheep, the very brave mouse!

The Magician's Nephew is the 16th book/series I have read or re-read for The Great American Read. Before all is said and done, I will have re-read all 7 books in the series. While I wait for The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe to come available at the library, I will move on and read other books from the list. I can't wait until the television series starts airing on PBS on September 11, 2018!! ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
The Magician's Nephew is a great book for middle school students to enjoy in their free time. I would introduce this book to students who aren't a huge fan of reading as C.S. Lewis is a great author. Although he has mentioned this book be read before The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe it feels weird to read the series out of order. The Magician's Nephew is similar to J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion in the way that it gives the reader a look into how Narnia came to be what it is. ( )
  Ariel_Amador | Nov 16, 2020 |
Cuando mi madre me enseño el fabuloso mundo de las Crónicas de Narnia quede fascinado con estas historias. En ese entonces solo conocí las cuatros novelas que originalmente se publicaron.

Fue luego de adulto que descubrí que C.S. Lewis escribió tres novelas adicionales para concluir con la serie de las Crónicas de Narnia. En esta primera novela, el autor nos presenta como fué que comenzó todo en Narnia. Una novela que me pareció muy buena y que establece las bases para lo que luego sucederá en Narnia, también nos presenta a Aslan y como fué que Narnia fue creada. ( )
  s3phiroth2006 | Oct 8, 2020 |

Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Kilmer family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to taste one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged - please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

If you ever did

want to know where the White Witch

came from, read this book.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,555,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible