The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of…

The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia) (original 1955; edition 1995)

by C. S. Lewis (Author)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.
Member:mattandbranson
Title:The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia)
Authors:C. S. Lewis (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc (1995), 202 pages

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (1955)

English (283)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (296)
If you were a dreamy sort of child, as I was, this book would quite possibly be down your alley. I realized, when reading this story, that I hadn’t read any children’s books in quite a while—and I kind of miss that. Especially with well-written ones.

Apparently, this isn’t as good as the sequels to it (or the others in the series…this may have been published later?). Anyway, I enjoyed it, even though it’s hard to know what to remark on!

The magic in here didn’t bother me for the most part—and the story would not work without it. I loved the idea of discovering new worlds, and I think one thing that makes us like magical stories like this is that we know, deep within us, that there is a perfect new world that will come one day, and like dreaming about what may be possible then. So that part delighted me.

I also loved the description of creation—I thought that was a very imaginative, but well-done chapter.

The only thing I struggled with was the water-gods and nymph-gods that Aslan called around him—as a Christian allegory, that was a little disconcerting to me.

But overall, it was a lovely, imaginative story with a fast-paced plot that didn’t go on for ages! I enjoyed it! ( )
  EstherFilbrun | Mar 16, 2021 |
Love it more each time. ( )
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
In nineteenth century London, Digory and his dying mother come to live with his aunt and uncle... an uncle who Digory at first believes to be mad, but who he soon discovers to be a magician (of sorts), and a very unscrupulous one at that. When his friend Polly is sent out of this World into an unknown place by his uncle’s experiments, Digory has no choice but to follow to bring her back. But Digory and Polly bring back far more than they bargained for: the evil Queen Jadis who had destroyed her own world of Charn, and who quickly causes chaos on the streets of London. And the children’s attempt to return her to Charn does not quite go according to plan ...

When I was a child I loved C.S. Lewis’s Narnia books above pretty much all others, and of all those books probably my favourite was The Magician’s Nephew. The story tells what is effectively a creation myth for the land of Narnia, but it’s more than half way through before Narnia is even thought of, and the sections in Charn and London in the first half are equally enjoyable. It’s quite dark at times (there is no doubt that the Queen Jadis is truly evil and will sacrifice everything and everyone to get her own way) and it also has very amusing sections:

The talking animals of Narnia, led by the Elephant try to decide whether Uncle Andrew is an animal or a tree:

“What do most of us think? Is it an animal or something of the tree kind?”
“Tree! Tree!” said a dozen voices.
“Very Well,” said the Elephant. “Then, if it’s a tree it wants to be planted. We must dig a hole.”
The two Moles settled that part of the business pretty quickly. There was some dispute as to which way up Uncle Andrew ought to be put into the hole, and he had a very narrow escape from being put in head foremost. Several animals said his legs must be his branches and therefore the grey, fluffy thing (they meant his head) must be his root. But then others said that the forked end of him was muddier and that it spread out more as roots ought to do. So finally he was planted right way up. When they had patted down the earth it came above his knees.
“It looks dreadfully withered,” said the Donkey.
“Of course it wants some watering, “ said the Elephant.

On rereading this I would have to give it five stars, if only to reflect the pleasure that it gave me as a child. But really it was absolutely a joy to reread now, so the rating is fully justified. ( )
  SandDune | Jan 9, 2021 |
Nostalgiathon selection

Children's books are hard to rate as an adult, but out of the pure nostalgia and whimsy of this book I easily give it 4 stars.

I can vividly remember my fourth grade teacher Mrs. L reading the Narnia series to us and she was so good at all the little voices. I can honestly she is probably the person who made me fall in love with reading, so these books hold a special place in my heart because of her. ❤️ ( )
  Alli_Kelsey | Jan 4, 2021 |
A classic. I love Lewis' poetic description of creation. ( )
  nrt43 | Dec 29, 2020 |

Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Kilmer family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to taste one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged - please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

If you ever did

want to know where the White Witch

came from, read this book.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,059,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible