The Chronicles of Narnia: Book one; The…

The Chronicles of Narnia: Book one; The Magician's Nephew (original 1955; edition 1955)

by C. S. Lewis, Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)

15,283201121 (3.93)343
Member:MEWcon
Title:The Chronicles of Narnia: Book one; The Magician's Nephew
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic (1955), Paperback, 202 pages
Tags:For borrowing, Admin's

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (1955)

English (192)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (202)
The first and last thirds of the book are entertaining but the bit with Aslan is too ham-fisted. The book is also a better prequel than start of a series. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 30, 2014 |
This is one of the more enjoyable books in the Narnia series because it tells the backstory behind the earlier books. The author had an interesting idea of what's involved in traveling between worlds like our own and Narnia. I found the two main characters (children from England several decades before the children in the other books) a bit boring, but they had interesting things to do. This isn't "Book 1" like it says in the GoodReads title, and it would be best to read the earlier books first in order to understand a lot of what is talked about in this one. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I read this whole series long ago. As a young adult, I think. I remember liking the stories but being annoyed by the aggressiveness of the religious allegory. Still have my set from then, and recently I put this on the shelf of books Jefferson chooses for his bedtime story.

It was good. As we've read some recent books, I kept thinking that they didn't stand up to the Narnia series, and I was right. This was good, imaginative, and well-paced for reading aloud. Jefferson enjoyed it, and I think I actually enjoyed it more the second time around.

I was shocked, though, when Jefferson didn't choose the next book in the series as his next bedtime book. Maybe he didn't like it quite as well as I thought? But maybe that's not it. He's never been as sequential a reader as I am. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Not half as interesting as the original book in the series, but prequels usually aren't, I guess. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Aug 10, 2014 |
I really liked the characters and the story, despite the strong religious themes. ( )
  LaPhenix | Aug 10, 2014 |
"The Magician's Nephew" glows with the sort of mythology that C. S. Lewis created at his best, replete with religious and philosophic implication. At the same time, it held my children, and me, spellbound from start to finish.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 30, 1955)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To The Kilmer Family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to tastes one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064471101, Mass Market Paperback)

This large, deluxe hardcover edition of the first title in the classic Chronicles of Narnia series, The Magician's Nephew, is a gorgeous introduction to the magical land of Narnia. The many readers who discovered C.S. Lewis's Chronicles through The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will be delighted to find that the next volume in the series is actually the first in the sequence--and a step back in time. In this unforgettable story, British schoolchildren Polly and Digory inadvertently tumble into the Wood Between the Worlds, where they meet the evil Queen Jadis and, ultimately, the great, mysterious King Aslan. We witness the birth of Narnia and discover the legendary source of all the adventures that are to follow in the seven books that comprise the series.

Rich, heavy pages, a gold-embossed cover, and Pauline Baynes's original illustrations (hand-colored by the illustrator herself 40 years later) make this special edition of a classic a bona fide treasure. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:13 -0400)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,370,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible