The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis
Member:The_Hibernator
Title:The Magician's Nephew
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2000), Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:Classics, C. S. Lewis, Young Adult, Fantasy, Christian, Spirituality, Narnia, Magician, Pegasus

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (1955)

Recently added byOXTCS, Buugaag, mc100, redbirdnight, TWEverson, ISM-Casablanca, BookHavenAZ, gksbas, private library, arena555
Legacy LibrariesC. S. Lewis

English (224)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (234)
A slightly disturbing tale, but a great book over all. Really helps tell how the Narnia world started. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
In this sixth (yes, I'm a stickler for publication order) book in the Chronicles of Narnia, a young boy named Digory meets a girl named Polly and when the two go adventuring in their row house they accidentally stumble upon Digory's uncle, a magician who tricks them into testing his creation of special rings to take them to another world.

I have read and reread the Chronicles of Narnia since I was a young child and they've become entrenched in my earliest reading memories to the point where I can no longer be entirely objective when reading them. I enjoy the reading experience and listening to the HarperCollins audio productions - this one is read by Kenneth Branagh. When I was a child, this is the book in the series that gave me the most trouble. It takes forever to actually get to Narnia, yet as a creation story it's really cool to see elements you recognize from the earlier stories (part of the reason I still treat it as the "sixth" book) and understand the origins. In fact, I don't think it has quite the same meaning if you don't already know, for example, that Jadis becomes the White WitchEven so, whether you read it first or sixth or somewhere in the middle, it's a solid adventure fantasy if you have the patience for it to get going, with humorous parts and serious moral questions. ( )
  bell7 | Jun 15, 2016 |
When you and you'r family are on a long road trip and need a book series that everyone is willing to listen to (and you've already done a Harry Potter book series) you end up with the Narnia Chronicles. The last time I listened to these books was when my mother read them to me just before bedtime when I was six or seven. So granted, there is a lot of things I don't remember about this series. I can't say that I completely enjoyed this one as much as I had hoped. The christian influence was very heavy for me. I tried to convince myself that I should just look at it as a fantasy story - that's what it is after all. But religion has been on my mind a lot lately since I'm currently reading a book about religious delusions at the moment. I am, however, glad that I've getting this chance to go through these books again as an adult, to fully appreciate them for what they are. ( )
  Kassilem | Jun 14, 2016 |
3.5 stars

A twist of the garden of Eden.

Finished it over a week ago but with the holidays haven't had time to write a review.

This story is the favorite of many. While I appreciate it's charm and originality, it holds a fairy tale quality like no other of the narnia novels, it didn't wow me as much as its predecessors. I can see why reading this fifth makes sense in the order of writing and publication. I cared more about the prequel because I had already experienced the magic of the world. Coming into this first without the intro to Narnia and all the magic is holds and would grow to contain would leave me a bit bored.

The beginning was completely different than others and you have two villains here - including a relative who is a magician of sorts dabbling into darker arts. It was awesome to see the evil queen again in her original form, although she appeared to me so differently than her personality did in Narnia. I guess all the type and erosion of the heart is responsible for this transformation.

All previous books show a door from our world into Narnia, here we glimpse for ourselves the possibilities of other worlds and that there is a portal in between in the form of rivers. The ending was the best with Aslan as he is the creator and much is foretold and explained. I do wonder how the witch learned of the deep magic she speaks of in Narnia at the Silver table - perhaps it was from the fruit. If so, then why didn't she know the deepest and oldest magic too?

Polly was an okay sort, but she rubbed me the wrong way as a bit bossy. Digory seemed like a realistic boy and one I enjoyed. The room with the witch and the awakening was the second best part of the story outside of the end. I think I liked this book less because it didn't hold the same kind of expectation, of frantic need and rush forward, of urgency. The end delivered that but up until this point it was small scenes thrown together - sometimes for the sake of amusing, sometimes for self exploration, but mainly just bickering between the kiddies.

While so many loved this, even listing as a favorite, I found it slower and containing less magic in it's pages. A worthy sequel in the series but lackluster in quality until the middle and ending. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I never did read this as a child, so to discover it with my son while finally sharing it with him was a thrill. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
"The Magician's Nephew" glows with the sort of mythology that C. S. Lewis created at his best, replete with religious and philosophic implication. At the same time, it held my children, and me, spellbound from start to finish.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 30, 1955)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To The Kilmer Family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to taste one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged - please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064471101, Mass Market Paperback)

This large, deluxe hardcover edition of the first title in the classic Chronicles of Narnia series, The Magician's Nephew, is a gorgeous introduction to the magical land of Narnia. The many readers who discovered C.S. Lewis's Chronicles through The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will be delighted to find that the next volume in the series is actually the first in the sequence--and a step back in time. In this unforgettable story, British schoolchildren Polly and Digory inadvertently tumble into the Wood Between the Worlds, where they meet the evil Queen Jadis and, ultimately, the great, mysterious King Aslan. We witness the birth of Narnia and discover the legendary source of all the adventures that are to follow in the seven books that comprise the series.

Rich, heavy pages, a gold-embossed cover, and Pauline Baynes's original illustrations (hand-colored by the illustrator herself 40 years later) make this special edition of a classic a bona fide treasure. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:23 -0400)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,887,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible