The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis
Member:The_Hibernator
Title:The Magician's Nephew
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2000), Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:Classics, C. S. Lewis, Young Adult, Fantasy, Christian, Spirituality, Narnia, Magician, Pegasus

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (1955)

English (236)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  All (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All (246)
Classic Narnia story.

I had read this once before when I was a lot younger and I had no idea what was going on then. But re-reading it now, I definitely understand whats happening. It's a pretty involved little series once you get into it and start thinking about how everything is connected. It's an endless circle. . ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
This book is great. My only criticism is how it relates to the larger Chronicles. It provides the backstory of the snow queen, but makes her the queen of Charn, a world she destroyed instead of a Jin, a daughter of Lillith (as she is described by the beavers in the L, W, and the WD). Also, it provides some interesting background on the waredrobe and its magical character, but 'the deep magic from the dawn of time' and the stone table are absent. Rather than painting the queen as one with a claim on the blood of traitors, this story presents her as one who accidentally shows up to Narnia and Aslan keeps out of Narnia for many years.

Just finished reading this with my five-year-old. I think most of it is over her head but I appreciated this book more with the re-reading of it. We read this after The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe which is somewhat out of order (I let my daughter pick which one we read next). She really loved reading this book but when she describes what happens she keeps calling Digory, Edmund. Oh well. We are on to The Horse and His Boy ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
When I picked up all of the Chronicles of Narnia books, I wasn't quite sure I would even read them,and if I did, I wasn't sure I would like them.

Well, I started this book not knowing what to think or expect, and I was pleasantly surprised. With the last four or five chapters, I listened to the audio-books online while reading the books to kind of help me get through the books a little faster and easier. Listening to the person who read the books made the books even better for me. I enjoyed the narrators reading tremendously. The voices he did for each character and how he didn't seem to just be reading it to get it over with.

I had already seen the Chronicles of Narnia movie when it had first come out so I had a pretty good idea of who was who once certain characters began to show up in the book. But this book helped me to completely understand how things got to be where they were by the second book (the now movie).

I am not sure when I will be going on in the series because I have so many other books that I want to get to and finish. But hopefully I will be able to get to it within the next few months or so (God willing). But, because I have a pretty good idea what takes place in Chronicles of Narnia> hopefully I will be able to enjoy the book as well. The times I have seen movies first, then read the books, I have enjoyed the book more than I did the movie...and for one Book & Movie situation, that's saying a lot because I loved the movie a lot.

I am truly glad that I did push forward into reading this book, I really did enjoy it more than I expected to.
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
I never read this as a child, so I am reading through the series now. Quite enjoyable, but very obviously christian propaganda. ( )
  Lidbud | Mar 27, 2017 |
The beginning of Narnia. Tells the story of how Narnia came to be, as well as 'the wardrobe' which is in the 2nd book 'The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.' ( )
  BooksForTheLiving | Mar 20, 2017 |

Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To The Kilmer Family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to taste one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged - please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

If you ever did

want to know where the White Witch

came from, read this book.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064471101, Mass Market Paperback)

This large, deluxe hardcover edition of the first title in the classic Chronicles of Narnia series, The Magician's Nephew, is a gorgeous introduction to the magical land of Narnia. The many readers who discovered C.S. Lewis's Chronicles through The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will be delighted to find that the next volume in the series is actually the first in the sequence--and a step back in time. In this unforgettable story, British schoolchildren Polly and Digory inadvertently tumble into the Wood Between the Worlds, where they meet the evil Queen Jadis and, ultimately, the great, mysterious King Aslan. We witness the birth of Narnia and discover the legendary source of all the adventures that are to follow in the seven books that comprise the series.

Rich, heavy pages, a gold-embossed cover, and Pauline Baynes's original illustrations (hand-colored by the illustrator herself 40 years later) make this special edition of a classic a bona fide treasure. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:23 -0400)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,093,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible