The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis
Member:The_Hibernator
Title:The Magician's Nephew
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2000), Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:Classics, C. S. Lewis, Young Adult, Fantasy, Christian, Spirituality, Narnia, Magician, Pegasus

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (1955)

20th century (80) adventure (158) allegory (177) British (98) C.S. Lewis (237) children (285) children's (517) children's fiction (166) children's literature (271) Christian (162) Christianity (151) Chronicles of Narnia (217) classic (226) classics (132) fantasy (2,485) fiction (1,620) juvenile (113) Lewis (86) literature (104) magic (203) Narnia (923) novel (144) own (104) read (254) religion (135) series (327) sff (86) The Chronicles of Narnia (76) YA (136) young adult (272)

English (187)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (197)
I found this book rather tedious. It does not have the magic of some of the later books. It definitely feels like a hastily put together prequel. ( )
  martensgirl | Jul 19, 2014 |
When I picked up all of the Chronicles of Narnia books, I wasn't quite sure I would even read them,and if I did, I wasn't sure I would like them.

Well, I started this book not knowing what to think or expect, and I was pleasantly surprised. With the last four or five chapters, I listened to the audio-books online while reading the books to kind of help me get through the books a little faster and easier. Listening to the person who read the books made the books even better for me. I enjoyed the narrators reading tremendously. The voices he did for each character and how he didn't seem to just be reading it to get it over with.

I had already seen the Chronicles of Narnia movie when it had first come out so I had a pretty good idea of who was who once certain characters began to show up in the book. But this book helped me to completely understand how things got to be where they were by the second book (the now movie).

I am not sure when I will be going on in the series because I have so many other books that I want to get to and finish. But hopefully I will be able to get to it within the next few months or so (God willing). But, because I have a pretty good idea what takes place in Chronicles of Narnia> hopefully I will be able to enjoy the book as well. The times I have seen movies first, then read the books, I have enjoyed the book more than I did the movie...and for one Book & Movie situation, that's saying a lot because I loved the movie a lot.

I am truly glad that I did push forward into reading this book, I really did enjoy it more than I expected to.
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
This was always my least favorite of the Chronicles, mainly because I find the plot much less exciting than the other six books. I like the friendship between Polly and Digory, the Wood Between the Worlds, and the creation of Narnia. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |

OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |
The Magician's Nephew is the real beginning of The Chronicles of Narnia. It tells how the travels between Narnia and the world in England began. Digory's crazy uncle has a set of magic rings that he tricks Digory and his friend, Polly, into using. The rings transport them to Narnia and to a world of adventure. But Digory's uncle threatens to spoil it all with his greed. This book helps you understand the background of all the others. ( )
  aleader | Apr 11, 2014 |
"The Magician's Nephew" glows with the sort of mythology that C. S. Lewis created at his best, replete with religious and philosophic implication. At the same time, it held my children, and me, spellbound from start to finish.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 30, 1955)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To The Kilmer Family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to tastes one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064471101, Mass Market Paperback)

This large, deluxe hardcover edition of the first title in the classic Chronicles of Narnia series, The Magician's Nephew, is a gorgeous introduction to the magical land of Narnia. The many readers who discovered C.S. Lewis's Chronicles through The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will be delighted to find that the next volume in the series is actually the first in the sequence--and a step back in time. In this unforgettable story, British schoolchildren Polly and Digory inadvertently tumble into the Wood Between the Worlds, where they meet the evil Queen Jadis and, ultimately, the great, mysterious King Aslan. We witness the birth of Narnia and discover the legendary source of all the adventures that are to follow in the seven books that comprise the series.

Rich, heavy pages, a gold-embossed cover, and Pauline Baynes's original illustrations (hand-colored by the illustrator herself 40 years later) make this special edition of a classic a bona fide treasure. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:13 -0400)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible