Les Chroniques de Narnia 1. Neveu Du…

Les Chroniques de Narnia 1. Neveu Du Magicien (original 1955; edition 1955)

by C.S. Lewis

Member:bergg
Title:Les Chroniques de Narnia 1. Neveu Du Magicien
Authors:C.S. Lewis
Info:Gallimard Education (2008), Edition: GALLIMARD-JEUNESSE, Paperback
Collections:Fiction, To read
Tags:ebook, fantaisie, jeune adulte, série Narnia

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (1955)

English (221)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (231)
2001, Harper Collins Publishers, Read by Kenneth Branagh

Having long loved and appreciated The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, I wanted to experience Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia from the start – from where the magic began. Here, two young friends, Digory and Polly, are transported to the Wood Between the Worlds, by touching magical rings created by Digory’s uncle. The Wood, readers learn, is something of a multiverse, linking Earth, Charn, and Narnia. In Charn, the children meet the evil Queen Jadis (The White Witch), who cunningly follows the children back to London, where she creates utter chaos. Eventually, Digory and Polly manage to get Jadis back to the Wood, and are surprised to discover that, along with the evil Queen, they’ve also been accompanied by Uncle Andrew, the Cabby, and his horse, Strawberry. The adventurers land next, not in Charn, but in the land that we will come to know as Narnia – created and ruled by the beautiful, majestic lion, Aslan – a force of good.

Favourite Moment:
The transformation of Strawberry, carthorse, to magnificent winged horse, Fledge – and his tender protection of Digory and Polly.

What an incredible imagination had C.S. Lewis! I know much has been made of the religious references in the Narnia Chronicles, which some readers find troublesome – I am not one of these. Without needing to analyze the Christian parallels of the literature, I accept (and look forward to) the epic battles that will be waged between the forces of good and evil.

I cannot recommend this audio edition of The Magician’s Nephew more highly: Kenneth Branagh is absolutely inimitable! – elevating excellence to perfection. And I’m off to explore more of Narnia in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Join me? ( )
3 vote lit_chick | May 23, 2016 |
Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I'm just too old to be reading this book, but I found it a little too one-dimensional, and to be honest a bit dull :/ Add to that the thinly-veiled religious allegories and it amounted to a book I don't want to read again, and that I wouldn't recommend to anyone... ( )
  GwenMcGinty | May 13, 2016 |
This book is the fist in the chronicles of Narnia series, and educates the reader on where the wardrobe originated. The magicians nephew is a must read for any one who loves the chronicles of narnia, and wants to find out where the magic started. ( )
  velliott73 | May 8, 2016 |
This is the the first book in the chronicles of narnis. I thought this book was very interesting. A boy named diggory goes on adventures with his nabor sally. They come across a witch and acedentaly brought her back to their world. She treated everyone as slaves and destroyed property, so they took her away from there. They went to a world that was not yet created and saw the begining of the universe. The witch was scared that the people there were more powerful than her so she ran away. ( )
  IsaacS.B4 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer are tricked by Digory's Uncle Andrew to touch magical rings, which transport them to a different universe, where they witness the creation of a new world and meet its creator, the mighty lion Aslan. This was one of my favorite books as a child and, although the religious allusions are too heavy-handed for an adult, every time I reread it, Digory and Polly bring me the same joy they always have. This, and the other books in the series, will be on my permanent reread list the rest of my life. ( )
  -Eva- | Mar 26, 2016 |
"The Magician's Nephew" glows with the sort of mythology that C. S. Lewis created at his best, replete with religious and philosophic implication. At the same time, it held my children, and me, spellbound from start to finish.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 30, 1955)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To The Kilmer Family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to taste one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged - please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064471101, Mass Market Paperback)

This large, deluxe hardcover edition of the first title in the classic Chronicles of Narnia series, The Magician's Nephew, is a gorgeous introduction to the magical land of Narnia. The many readers who discovered C.S. Lewis's Chronicles through The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will be delighted to find that the next volume in the series is actually the first in the sequence--and a step back in time. In this unforgettable story, British schoolchildren Polly and Digory inadvertently tumble into the Wood Between the Worlds, where they meet the evil Queen Jadis and, ultimately, the great, mysterious King Aslan. We witness the birth of Narnia and discover the legendary source of all the adventures that are to follow in the seven books that comprise the series.

Rich, heavy pages, a gold-embossed cover, and Pauline Baynes's original illustrations (hand-colored by the illustrator herself 40 years later) make this special edition of a classic a bona fide treasure. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:23 -0400)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,848,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible