Les Chroniques de Narnia 1. Neveu Du…

Les Chroniques de Narnia 1. Neveu Du Magicien (original 1955; edition 1955)

by C.S. Lewis

14,693None134 (3.94)329
Member:bergg
Title:Les Chroniques de Narnia 1. Neveu Du Magicien
Authors:C.S. Lewis
Info:Gallimard Education (2008), Edition: GALLIMARD-JEUNESSE, Paperback
Collections:Fiction, To read
Tags:ebook, fantaisie, jeune adulte, série Narnia

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (1955)

20th century (78) adventure (154) allegory (173) British (97) C.S. Lewis (235) children (285) children's (509) children's fiction (166) children's literature (267) Christian (162) Christianity (148) Chronicles of Narnia (211) classic (224) classics (130) fantasy (2,459) fiction (1,604) juvenile (110) Lewis (84) literature (104) magic (196) Narnia (913) novel (139) own (100) read (253) religion (133) series (326) sff (83) The Chronicles of Narnia (76) YA (137) young adult (267)

English (184)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (194)
The Magician's Nephew is the real beginning of The Chronicles of Narnia. It tells how the travels between Narnia and the world in England began. Digory's crazy uncle has a set of magic rings that he tricks Digory and his friend, Polly, into using. The rings transport them to Narnia and to a world of adventure. But Digory's uncle threatens to spoil it all with his greed. This book helps you understand the background of all the others. ( )
  aleader | Apr 11, 2014 |
I enjoyed this pre-quell (that's an ugly word, I think I prefer back-story). Bayne's illustrations include "the View of Charn", also as good as the "weeping Dragon" in "Dawn Treader".
the Professor in whose house, the Pevensie children find the wardrobe, comes to be given his due, in this story, a kind of Genesis and the books of the Prophets combined. Lewis was a fine writer, and the didactism is not a drawback to the un-dogmatic reader. Read it aloud with your children, share the illustrations, and participate in the discussions arising. Do it for all the Narnia books, please! ( )
  DinadansFriend | Mar 2, 2014 |
My kids and I heard The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on audiobook one road trip a couple of years ago. When I decided recently to read the whole Chronicles of Narnia to them, I decided to start anew with The Magician's Nephew before we re-read Wardrobe and work through the rest of the series.

I'd forgotten how delightful this series is. It kept both my 8.5yo and my 4.5yo entranced, even through long-ish breaks between chapters.

I read the series before I read Lev Grossman's The Magicians, but it had been a couple of years. Now that this book is fresh in my mind, and we're starting on the rest of them, I might go back and re-read The Magicians. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Feb 18, 2014 |
I only read a few of the Narnia books as a kid, and had no real sense of the overall arc of this series. When my six year old picked the thick omnibus out of his bookshelf and said he wanted us to start reading it, I thought I was in for a light, fairytale-tasting fantasy adventure with some Christian metaphors. I wasn’t expecting this, and cannot say the surprise was pleasant. For this, the first book of the series, about the creation of Narnia and the opening of portals between it and our world, is very light on story indeed, but heavy on solemn religious imagery and looong descriptions of mostly nature.

I have no problem with a book for children being religious, but I’m not sure I at all like how Lewis is using poor Digory as a symbol for all mankind, making him personally responsible for bringing evil into the newly created land. There’s just too much guilt and sin and disappointment here, for reasons that just seem too thin, and the redemption doesn’t seem to make up for it. I still see a child being shamed for something he couldn’t possibly have foreseen. The fun bits – perhaps above all the animals trying to get to terms with what manner of creature Digory’s uncle really is, cracked both me and my son up, but it wasn’t enough to take away the stern, rigid feeling of this book overall. We’ll surely plunge on for at least one more book (the next, of course, being the real classic), but if that one doesn’t deliver, I think we’ll abandon this series, at least for the time being. ( )
2 vote GingerbreadMan | Feb 16, 2014 |
"The Magician's Nephew" glows with the sort of mythology that C. S. Lewis created at his best, replete with religious and philosophic implication. At the same time, it held my children, and me, spellbound from start to finish.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 30, 1955)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To The Kilmer Family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to tastes one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064471101, Mass Market Paperback)

This large, deluxe hardcover edition of the first title in the classic Chronicles of Narnia series, The Magician's Nephew, is a gorgeous introduction to the magical land of Narnia. The many readers who discovered C.S. Lewis's Chronicles through The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will be delighted to find that the next volume in the series is actually the first in the sequence--and a step back in time. In this unforgettable story, British schoolchildren Polly and Digory inadvertently tumble into the Wood Between the Worlds, where they meet the evil Queen Jadis and, ultimately, the great, mysterious King Aslan. We witness the birth of Narnia and discover the legendary source of all the adventures that are to follow in the seven books that comprise the series.

Rich, heavy pages, a gold-embossed cover, and Pauline Baynes's original illustrations (hand-colored by the illustrator herself 40 years later) make this special edition of a classic a bona fide treasure. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:13 -0400)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible