dismiss

The Merchant's Partner by Michael Jecks

The Merchant's Partner (edition 2005)

by Michael Jecks

Midwife and healer Agatha Kyteler is regarded as a witch by the superstitious villagers of Wefford, yet she has no shortage of callers, from the humblest villein to the most elegant and wealthy in the area. But when Agatha's body is found frozen and mutilated in a hedge one wintry morning, there seems to be no clues as to who could be responsible. Not until a local youth runs away and a hue and cry is raised. Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, is not convinced of the youth's guilt and soon manages to persuade his close friend Simon Puttock, bailiff of Lydford Castle, to help him continue with the investigation. As they endeavour to find the true culprit, the darker side of the village, with its suspicion and jealousy, emerges. And what is driving the young foreigner, son of a nobleman, to disappear down towards the moors?… (more)
Member:joeeasterly
Title:The Merchant's Partner
Authors:Michael Jecks
Info:Avon (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Fiction & Literature, eBooks
Tags:mystery fiction

The Merchant's Partner by Michael Jecks

English (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (4)
A herbalist is assumed by some locals to be a witch but when she is found in a field with her throat cut, Sir Baldwin Furnshill and Simon Puddock must find out who is responsible.

Now the series has got going with established characters, I am enjoying it. Although I realised who wasn't the murderer, I was totally misled as to who was. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jan 31, 2019 |
Synopsis: An elderly woman is found with her throat slit. The knight and the bailiff find that three people are implicated: a rich lady, the rich lady's lover, and a friend of the knight. Through a series of questions and deductions, they find that there is a fourth suspect.
Review: Interesting story, but with still more than enough background to make the story drag. ( )
  DrLed | Jul 23, 2017 |
I have virtually all of Jecks' works. I am new to Library Things so am not going to go into great detail except to say that he has given me many hours of reading pleasure and largley give him 5 stars. Although it has been some years since I found one of the later stories, I was, at the time, prompted to find the first in the series, etc. It is grand that both his former publisher and his new publisher (Simon & Schuster UK) are republishing his books in print and other formats. I have given Jecks 5 star reviews over the years since I stumbled on to him. As to his research, historically it is from primary sources wherein he writes plausible tales into the historical setting. ( )
  Bookaholic2 | Mar 16, 2015 |

Michael Jecksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Weele, Kees vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This book is for Peter, Sarah, Brill and Clive. Thanks for your support and loyalty, and for always having confidence.
It was not until much later, when winter had relaxed its grip and spring had touched the land with the fresh, yellow-green shades of renewal, that the feelings of horror and revulsion began to fade.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,625,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible