Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Monk Who Vanished by Peter Tremayne

The Monk Who Vanished (edition 2002)

by Peter Tremayne

Member:christiguc
Title:The Monk Who Vanished
Authors:Peter Tremayne
Info:New York: Signet, 2002.
Tags:historical mystery, sister fidelma, fiction, mystery, irish, ireland, female detective, male author, signet, penguin, series-7th, bookshelf27, read2007

The Monk Who Vanished by Peter Berresford Ellis

English (8)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
This story begins with an attempted assination of two princes, one being the brother of Sister Fidelma. It appears to be an attempt from a neighboring kingdom, one with which they have poor relations. In another event, a monk disappears with a holy relic. As Fidelma investigates, things get much more complex. In a story full of conspiracies, feints, and hidden agendas, it is difficult to discern exactly what is going on. During a court session, in a classic ending, Sister Fidelma clarifies and explains all the events.

These stories are good at teaching about life and the times of 7th Century Ireland. This story explores life in a small town, a monastery, and a little about courts and legal processes. In addition to being a great story, this is a good book for any mystery lover, and particularly those interested in historical settings.
  Nodosaurus | Mar 21, 2014 |
Another satisfying read of a Sister Fidelma mystery. I really enjoy how the book progresses from clue to clue with a few red herrings thrown in for spice. I will be reading a lot more of this series. ( )
  Lynxear | Jan 24, 2014 |
So far the best Fidelma book I've read (which I have to admit is only the third after [b:Valley of the Shadow|1525161|Valley of the Shadow (Sister Fidelma, #6)|Peter Tremayne|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1184721116s/1525161.jpg|1517089] and [b:Smoke in the Wind|379141|Smoke in the Wind (Sister Fidelma, #11)|Peter Tremayne|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309211278s/379141.jpg|1856031]). The story begins with two apparently unrelated incidents: Firstly a monk vanishes along with a set of holy relics. Secondly two lords from adversarial groups are injured when an archer shoots at them when they arrive for peace talks. One of those lords is Fidelma's brother, the king, and his enemies at once suspect him of plotting against them while his allies suspect the other party. It is decided that a court of law should be held to settle the matter. For this Fidelma as the advocate for her brother has nine days time to prepare her defence. Every new clue she finds seems to lead to a new mystery instead of a solution.

As always I find the insight into old Irish law very interesting, being a law student myself. But the law doesn't take over too much of the story, which makes it interesting and suspenseful for everyone who likes a good mystery. I enjoyed myself very much indeed and only began to suspect the solution near the end. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |
My husband recommended this book to me. Problem 1: it has a map of Ireland in front. Why do authors include a map of a real country with real cities and rivers marked on it? Because they think we're too stupid to Google an old map of Ireland. Problem 2: There is a 6-page "historical note" before the story starts because we are too stupid to understand the story without it. Why not require a masters degree in history? Require us to show our diplomas at the bookstore. Then there is a 2-page list of characters, from Donennach mac Oengus, Prince of the Ui Fidgente down to Cred, the whore who keeps the local tavern.

If you like this kind of stuff, knock yourself out. ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |
The mystery was a little strained with a bit too much coincidence. I've liked others in the series better, but it was a good read. ( )
  ahaehl | Jun 19, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451206266, Mass Market Paperback)

The seventh book in the Irish medieval mystery series finds Sister Fidelma investigating the disappearance of a kingdom's sacred artifacts-and that of an elderly brother of the order...

"[Sister Fidelma] does not disappoint." (Publishers Weekly)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:34 -0400)

Calamity has struck the community of the Abbey of Imleach - an elderly brother has disappeared as well as the holy relics of St Ailbe. Sister Fidelma and the Saxon Brother Eadulf are asked to investigate, but is there more to it than meets the eye?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible