In the House of Leviathan by B.D. Bruns

In the House of Leviathan (edition 2015)

by B.D. Bruns

312,910,480 (5)None
Member:EustaciaTan
Title:In the House of Leviathan
Authors:B.D. Bruns
Info:World Waters (2015), Paperback, 262 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:ebook, blog tour, history, gothic, horror

In the House of Leviathan by B.D. Bruns

blog tour (1) ebook (2) gothic (1) history (1) horror (1) mystery (1) to-read (1)

"Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear. He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride." (Job 41: 33-34, KJV)

Those two verses are the end of a chapter dedicated to describing the Leviathan, a humongous sea-monster described in the Bible. If you're a fan of Disney, you might remember it from Atlantis: The Lost Empire. My bro might know it from Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitsu. What it actually is, is debated, but for a very long time, it's been seen as a demon.

In The House of Leviathan, as you can guess, is about evil and demons. It follows Giuseppe, after he sees the devil appear at his family's paper mill one night. After that, people start dying, and strange signs come from the sea. In order to protect his sister, Giuseppe is going to have to overcome a lot of challenges.

Frankly speaking, this book pulled me in. I started reading it on the train, and when I looked up, I finished about half the book (don't worry, I got off at the right stop). Considering that I was in a reading slump that ended the day before I started the book, I was pretty amazed. I haven't been drawn into a story for a few weeks, and I've missed that.

The descriptions in the book were fantastic, and made me feel like I was actually in 19th century Italy. The village of Amalfi came to life for me, along with its characters. Speaking of characters, the main characters would be (as I see it), Giuseppe, his sister Carmelina and Lucio, the guy that loves her. Supporting characters were Marie, Lucio's sister, Grapaldi, the old man who has worked for them since forever, and Milani, the old priest. And a few others. I can say that I liked almost all of them (except for one, and if you know who, you'd know why), and thought they were all well-written characters. If it weren't for the fact that this book is basically dark and gothic, I'd want to spend some time at Amalfi (maybe before all this started?)

I may have gotten this book as part of a blog tour, but I am not lying when I say I loved it. It has beautifully written descriptions, a haunting story and wonderful characters. It was an awesome book to read coming out of my reading slump.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher as part of a blog tour in exchange for a free and honest review.

(This review was first posted at: http://allsortsofbooks.blogspot.jp/2015/05/in-house-of-leviathan-by-bd-bruns.htm...) ( )
  EustaciaTan | May 30, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,164,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible