The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer

The Lazarus War: Artefact (edition 2016)

by Jamie Sawyer (Author)

Mankind has spread to the stars, only to become locked in warfare with an insidious alien race. All that stands against the alien menace are the soldiers of the Simulant Operation Programme, an elite military team remotely operating avatars in the most dangerous theatres of war. Captain Conrad Harris has died hundreds of times - running suicide missions in simulant bodies. Known as Lazarus, he is a man addicted to death. So when a secret research station deep in alien territory suddenly goes dark, there is no other man who could possibly lead a rescue mission. But Harris hasn't been trained for what he's about to find. And this time, he may not be coming back.… (more)
Member:petrichor8
Title:The Lazarus War: Artefact
Authors:Jamie Sawyer (Author)
Info:Orbit (2016), 544 pages
Collections:B2R, Read but unowned

The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (dClauzel)
    The Praxis by Walter Jon Williams (dClauzel)
    All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des soldats dans des armures de combat. Des extraterrestres. Vélocité. Mourir un millier de fois et recommencer.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des soldats dans l’espace. Des extraterrestres. Des armures de combat. Vélocité. Fatal.

English (4)  French (1)  All languages (5)
I am quite surprised by the quality of this book given that it is claimed to be the debutant work of this author. There is a compelling, well worked out and somewhat original story (although comparisons with Avatar are unavoidable) the characters are well made and the writing is exceptionally good for a debutant.

Although there are some fierce space battles at the beginning of the book most of the story plays itself out on the ground. Also, I have to say that, the space battles mostly felt like world war one battleships slowly pounding at each other until one of them succumbed. Given my preferences for the “space stuff” in my books this was of course a wee bit disappointing.

Having said that, the ground action is well done and the story is indeed a fairly interesting and compelling one. It is not your usual “drop to the surface and start shooting” kind of story. For a good chunk of the book the story is more of a mystery and intrigue kind of story rather than a straightforward action story even though the marine action is plentiful. Strange artefacts, a mad professor, mercenaries with dubious loyalties, aliens a’ la Starship Troopers and a backdrop of two competing political human blocks. All of it adds some nice twists and flavours to the book and makes it elevate itself a bit from the usual military science fiction that we readers are served.

The main thread of the story is interleaved with flashbacks into Harris’ past. I can understand why the author did it that way but I have to say that I do not like flashbacks whether it is in a book, a TV show or a movie. They did serve their purpose of gradually building the universe and life of Captain Conrad Harris but I just whish the author would have found another way of doing it.

As a start of a series it is a good book. As a debutant work is it quite impressive. The next one in the series is already on my reading list.
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
A fun read for fans of Military SciFi. I found the novel fast-paced, enjoyable, and I liked what the author did with Krell space. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Mar 11, 2019 |
Stacked with every conceivable space war cliche and sometimes the gruntspeak is really laughable, but still highly enjoyable. Conrad Harris, a veteran soldier in the Simulant Operations Corps (think Avatar and you'll get an idea of what that means) leads his squad in a mission to a hostile star cluster to retrieve a scientific team monitoring a huge ancient artefact. Harris finds the leader of the team has become a murderous megalomaniac who forces the soldiers to assist him in uncovering the secrets of the Artefact. The Artefact has also attracted the attention of the hostile fish-like Krell, whom Harris and his soldiers must battle to escape from the planet and get home. What it lacks in originality the story more than makes up for in pace and action, there are few quiet moments, most of these moment consist of flashbacks to Harris' memories of his lost love Elena. These flashbacks are annoying, interrupt the flow of the story and add nothing to the plot, in fact they feel very much like padding. The book simply doesnt need them, its a compelling page-turner that relies on pace and non-stop action, and this it does very well. I'll definitely be seeking out the rest of the trilogy, one of the best space opera books I've read in a while. ( )
  drmaf | Jul 30, 2018 |
This story is told in first person, from the perspective of an elite soldier named Conrad Harris, he has earned the nickname Lazarus because he keeps coming back from death. The book examines the future of warfare, in this story, Conrad leads an elite team of sims. This team uses enhanced clones of themselves to go out on missions, they die and wake up again. The book looks like it's going to examine this and its meaning to humanity, but doesn't get there.

The writing is mostly plain. The author's descriptions go from good and interesting to the kind of bland writing you want to race through. He uses only an occasional metaphor or similie, but it feels contrived.

The characters are one-dimensional. The author does use backstory to try and fill out Conrad's life, but it doesn't work. Often, the actions, and more so the dialog, of Conrad and his team feel more like amateurs playing soldier than elite soldiers. The descriptions of action on a ship during combat occasionally belie an ignorance of shipboard procedures.

If action and military sci-fi appeal to you, you may enjoy the book. I could not finish it. ( )
  Nodosaurus | Oct 21, 2017 |

But Harris hasn't been trained for what he's about to find. And this time, he may not be coming back...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,727,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible