Truth or Beard by Penny Reid

Truth or Beard

by Penny Reid

Simpatico, forse mi aspettavo qualcosa di più, ma sto facendo indigestione di zucchero quindi non sono obiettiva. ( )
  jeky91 | Jun 15, 2018 |
It's more between 3 and 4, but better than a 3.
A tale of intrigue, biker gangs, and fairly traditional men in Tennessee, this story was not what I expected. I enjoyed it, I didn't expect the directions it took, and it was a bit steamy in places, but that wasn't the main thrust of the story. I'm on the fence about whether I'll read more in the series, but it was fun. ( )
  Pepperwings | Mar 19, 2018 |
Jessica James has moved back to her small home town in Tennessee after college to teach at the local high school. Her goal is to pay off her student loans and save enough in the next two to three years to finally pursue her dream of traveling the world. What Jessica did not expect was to fall hard for Duane who drove her crazy as a kid and teen and has grown up into a truly enticing hunk of man.

Sadly, despite the utterly adorable cover on this self-published romance, the content failed to deliver. The book obviously suffers from the lack of an editor and the plot feels a bit too long and slightly convoluted. There are also some rather "quirky" turns of phrase that a good editor would have likely had the author replace (for example, using "sex cartwheels" to describe a relatively run-of-the-mill romance novel sex scene was just odd). Not recommended and I definitely won't be picking up any of the author's other novels. ( )
  MickyFine | Sep 12, 2017 |
Penny Reid A woman after my own heart. Do you want to know what I love about this author? She gets me. There is no skirting around the truth, no cat and mouse game, NO monkey business. Her female characters are brilliant, bad-ass, hilarious, know what they want so they reach out and take it.

This story - Was effing awesome-sauce. (Penny if you are reading this I love you) we are meant to be friend (not in a weird lesbian-stalker-way) but in a I-would-give-you-my-second-born child sort of way. (I say second because my first born is 8 and she comes with attitude baggage that may not be very enticing). I cannot even count how many times I LOL-ed during reading this book. My smile was constant, Jess was so funny her internal dialogue was awe-inspiring.

Now for the meat and potatoes

" A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes" - Mark Twain

Jess and Duane were perfect. Jessica. When I grow up I want to be Jess (with Clair in close second - fingers crossed on a story about her). "I was staring at the region of his pelvic area before he spoke, hoping against hope that my untapped superpower of night vision would suddenly reveal itself"... What?? Yes, that is exactly what we all would have done in that situation but Penny/Jess has the balls to put it in writing.

Duane I love him! I love that he comes from a huge family, I love that we was a hard worker, and I love that he loved Jess. Humbled. Humbled is the word I would use to describe this book. I felt like I wanted to be a better person reading it. I wanted to be smarter and funnier, and I want 6 brothers. Realistically that will never happen but hey that is what I want.

"Men read maps better than women because only men can understand the concept of an inch equaling a hundred miles" - Roseanne Barr

Um the quotes starting every chapter? Yes please, they will be making an appearance in the near future on my social media pages, Thanksgiving Dinner, to my husband, coworkers and best friends. See I am smarter already :-D

Penny has this way about writing that doesn't make you feel like you are reading a cheese-fest. She doesn't write I-will-tell-you-what-you-should-say-in-this-situation, but in a raw, honest shit-happens way. I have decided she is my all time favorite author, and I have already sent links out to all my besties demanding they read her books. Claiming "they will make you become a reader" . The End. ( )
  Meagantull | Jul 5, 2017 |
I admit... the only reason I first added this to my to-read list was because I loved the book cover design. In the end it was a good read for summer, and the brothers made me laugh. ( )
  BooksForTheLiving | Mar 20, 2017 |

Identical twins Beau and Duane Winston share the same devastatingly handsome face, but where Beau is outgoing and sociable, Duane is broody and reserved. This is why Jessica James has been infatuated with Beau for most of her life, whereas Duane and Jessica have always been adversaries. But after a case of mistaken identity, Jessica finds herself in a massive confusion kerfuffle, unprepared for the reality that is Duane's insatiable interest, as well as his hot hands and hot mouth and hotter looks. How much of her level-head heart is she willing to risk?… (more)

Penny Reid is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,828,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible