The Quintara Marathon 1: The Demons at…

The Quintara Marathon 1: The Demons at Rainbow Bridge (The Quintara… (edition 1990)

by Jack L. Chalker

Member:rpuchalsky
Title:The Quintara Marathon 1: The Demons at Rainbow Bridge (The Quintara Marathon, Book I)
Authors:Jack L. Chalker
Info:Ace (1990), Paperback, 10 pages
Tags:sff, unread

The Demons at Rainbow Bridge by Jack L. Chalker

I read the whole trilogy so it must have been okay! ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I found this book hard to get into at first, but it really picked up as it went along. A good part of this book is spent describing Chalker's view of the universe. 3 competing empires control the universe - one an ultimate capitalist society, one an ultimate religious society and the third is a communist/fascist (evil) society. This book feels like Chalker's version of The Foundation Trilogy, where he tries out competing government types to see which is 'best', but with a twist. Ultimately the plot revolves around the discovery of a world where 2 devils have been found - creatures which appear in the mythology of nearly every race and culture and are always evil. I just discovered this series and I'm looking forward to getting the remaining 2 books. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 6, 2014 |
We are introduced to three stellar empires with three novellas so to speak. We have the "good" empire, the "evil" empire, and the secular empire. Good, religous empire. Evil, dog eat dog empire. Secular, libertine empire. Each has its own group of humans.

The author has fun with these types of empires comparing and contrasting. How these very different empires solve problems and function is interesting.

This is the first of a series. This book does not really put the overall series story forward, but just introduces us to the protagonists.

One common thing of these cultures, is the knowledge of a race of beings that have not been known, but remembered, for eons. Demons!

A team from each empire race in answer to a distress beacon. Two Demons have been discovered at Rainbow Bridge. ( )
  tcgardner | Oct 8, 2007 |
This was a good fun book but it is obviously part of a series. The book just stops. I haven't yet run across the other books in the series so I can't tell if the good start he had in this, was put to good use. The quick overview of the book is sometime in the future humanity has spread out into the Galaxy and found 3 competing civilizations fighting over it, each one an extreme to the others and yet they are all similar. Humanity had spread out into all three territories and as such was split along the lines designated by these "Superior" civilizations. The book follows a human from each one and shows the differences then goes into the story that brings the charactors together. ( )
  readafew | Dec 12, 2006 |

Jack L. Chalkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cliff Simak, who loved the idea he partly inspired, but then didn't stick around to see what I did with it.
AUTHOR'S NOTEWhen writing the three volumes of The Quintara Marathon, I immediately ran into the problem of representing nonverbal communications. In the book we have various characters and creatures, some of whom communicate in whole or in part directly with the mind of another. When added to internalized dialogue, this began to make for a page that was both confusing and typographically unwieldy.The late George O. Smith, when faced with this problem, decided that the easiest way to resolve this was to use a different dialogue delimiter so that the reader would instantly know which communications were verbal and which were mind-to-mind. I have often marveled that others never took up this practice, but it seems practical here and throughout The Quintara Marathon. Thus, to alert you, text delimited by opposing carets, or "arrows" as they are sometimes called (e.g., <Watch out on your left!>) are telepathic or mind-to-mind dialogue throughout this book, joining the traditional "Watch out!" for verbal communications and Better watch out (no delimiters) for internalized dialogue. It might jar at the start, but as, every once in a while, all sorts of furious dialogue flies in all directions, I think you'll find it remarkably easy to get used to, and certainly preferable to the alternatives.Jack L. Chalker
The ship that roamed the sea of stars descended from heaven toward the blue-green eden below, as always, looking for the snake.

In the start of another splendid adventure series, Chalker ( The Changewinds Saga ) posits a galaxy ruled by three multi-specied empires: the Exchange, based on (very) free enterprise; the Mizlaplan, where religious perfection is sought; and the feudal Mycohl. Humans are represented in all three. An Exchange vessel mapping a distant frontier finds demons--a common image in the folklore of all known races--in suspended animation and sends an emergency warning. Each empire dispatches a team to investigate. Three sections of the book, told from the perspectives of each of the cultures, describe team members and how they were created. The three vessels converge on the planet where the warnings originated to find the first expedition destroyed and demons gone. The end of the first volume leaves the Exchange team trapped in the demons' edifice, apparently a multi-dimensional tesseractok , about to follow the other two teams into unknown worlds. Chalker's humans and aliens, and their political credos, are extremely well drawn, the shifting points of view gaining sympathy for all three sides. The only villains so far are the demons.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,561,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible