dismiss

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

by Roald Dahl

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.
    Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    The Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)
Robin (6)

English (356)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (378)
I have to admit that there's nothing quite like reading a book to a kid that you both love in equal measure.

I cried, she cried, we both cried and laughed and cheered when those nasty, nasty kids got their just deserts. :)

And the songs? I admit I had a great time singing my own little tune to each as they were violently nasty and creative and delightful all at once. :)

Yeah. This is one of the best books ever. And I refuse to care one bit about the typos.

TOTAL CLASSIC. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This book is amazing. Roald Dahl's writing style can get a little confusing for younger readers, but it's overall an easy read. With two film adaptations, this book should be more popular. Everyone always talks about the movies and compares them to one another, but what about the book? The films are relatively close to the book, adjust some scenes to fit the cinema.

The key thing that people always miss when they ask about with some scene are added and deleted is that a book is NOT made to be a movie script. When converting the book into a script, they have to add or remove things according to how it works out in cinematography.

The amount of creativity and unique characters is fun to read about. I absolutely adore this book and highly recommend it! ( )
  sarveshi | May 6, 2020 |
Short and sweet, Roald Dahl's timeless children's fantasy classic is as magical, educational and fantastic as back when I first read the book in elementary school. Dahl's writing style is filled with humorous wordplay and imaginative use of the English language. The text is vivid but easy to read even for children. Sure, the characterizations are somewhat simplified and some of the dialogue overly childish for an adult, but then again this is a children's novel.

The sheer amount of imagination put into the novel is what truly makes the magic feel alive; from Oompa-Loompas and their endless singing to an underground fantasy world made completely out of sweets. At the center of all of this, we have the mysterious, somewhat rude and weirdly fascinating Willy Wonka, who guides the characters and the reader throughout the events of the novel. He easily overshadows the other characters, even Charlie, the surprisingly mundane working-class protagonist.

The novel ends with a cliffhanger leading directly to the sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. That is not nearly as great a book as this one is, so my recommendation is not to pick that up and enjoy this jewel over and over again instead. ( )
  MrScallops | Mar 28, 2020 |
A great classic. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
I admit to having seen both movies before reading the book, so I was following along in my head to see which scene was which. And how certain things referenced only showed up in certain movies. Also noted how scenes were altered accordingly. From the way it was written, Gene Wilder does feel closer to what the author had in mind. ( )
  gilroy | Jan 10, 2020 |

Jacques, FaithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ren, RongrongTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / The Witches / Fantasic Mr. Fox / The Twits / James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory PLUS Three More All-Time Favorites (Boxed Set) by Roald Dahl

Gsx: Dahl 10 Copy Audio Set in Zipped Tin (Tbp) by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl Collection - 15 Paperback Book Boxed Set by Roald Dahl

The Roald Dahl Audio CD Collection: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / James and the Giant Peach / Fantastic Mr. Fox / The Enormous Crocodile / The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a teacher's guide

For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,640,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible