Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1975)

by Roald Dahl

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

12,338202200 (4.09)189
20th century (52) adventure (99) British (68) candy (150) chapter book (115) children (380) children's (632) children's books (89) children's fiction (148) children's literature (281) chocolate (220) classic (191) classics (109) Dahl (67) family (57) fantasy (671) fiction (1,085) humor (187) juvenile (94) juvenile fiction (57) kids (106) made into movie (51) movie (67) novel (82) own (58) read (189) Roald Dahl (131) Willy Wonka (85) YA (60) young adult (137)

English (188)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (201)
This book is an awesome classic. Regardless of the age, it carries a sense of “magic” throughout the book that attracts its readers. It introduces a dark situation, “poverty and starvation” and turns it into a colorful, happy, and humorous story. The characters are fully developed and the readers are able to clearly visualize each character. One of my favorite parts of the book is when the Oompas Loopa’s describe how TV is bad for you. Because the audience is children, I think this was an awesome message for kids to read about and it was presented in a fun way! The first couple lines of the song sing, “But did you ever stop to think, to wonder just exactly what this does to your beloved tot? IT ROTS THE SENSES IN THE HEAD!
IT KILLS IMAGINATION DEAD!” It was an engaging way to prove a point. The main messages are “What goes around comes around,” and “doing the right things.” ( )
  jtaylo41 | Apr 10, 2014 |
Charlie and the chocolate Factory is a good book a poor boy called Charlie wants to go to the chocolate Factory because he has never been there. One day Charlie was watching TV when he heard that Wonka chocolate has a golden ticket on the chocolate so for his mom and dad drought him a chocolate . but only 5 kids can go inside the chocolate Factory a boy who is honest and king ,brave and true and good and ready for the wildest time of his life an enormously a fat boy whose hobby was eating . ( )
  LashiniK | Apr 8, 2014 |
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is about a poor boy named Charlie. The town was having a big competition, Charlie hopes to win the golden ticket which is placed in a chocolate bar. There will only be 5 lucky winners. Charlie's grandfather gave him some money and Charlie head off to the store, but sadly there weren't any golden ticket. Slowly, Charlie walked in the streets. Suddenly a dollar flew past him and landed on the floor. Charlie picked it up and went back to the store. He picked a chocolate bar and quickly unwrap it. There Charlie found the golden ticket. Charlie ran as fast as he could back home and spread the good news to their parents. The next day Charlie's grandfather took him to the chocolate factory, where many people crowded. I really recommend this book, because I find it interesting. ( )
  ChrystalLum | Apr 8, 2014 |
This book appears on some best books lists and so I read it. It tells of many impossible things happening when Charlie wins the right to visit a chocolate factory. I can envisage reading it to small kids and I suppose they might like it. I suppose if I was 6 I might think it fun to read, but it was only a drag for me. ( )
  Schmerguls | Apr 1, 2014 |
I have been reading this book since the mid-1970's and probably the best setting to read the book is when I read it aloud. Every year at Easter time, I would read the book aloud to my brother who loved to hear stories but hated to read. The book is so readable and is such a classic that I continue to read it over and over, both the paperback version and the ebook version. Great for kids and adults alike. Nothing like the most recent movie. Always stick with the book version! ( )
  elleayess | Mar 30, 2014 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:55 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Nine editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140311254, 0141322713, 0141329858, 0141332123, 014133102X, 0141333162, 0143106333, 0141328878, 0141346450

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,542,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible