Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1975)

by Roald Dahl, Faith Jacques

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)

English (234)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (247)
As with all of Roald Dahl's books, I love the wonderful creativity that this book represents. I believe that kids books should be teaching kids that anything is possible. I think that so many books focus on becoming a victim of ones adversity, but within this book, Charlie's optimism gets him and his family out of poverty. I love the descriptions throughout the book and they really paint pictures in the minds of the reader. It would be fun to have students read this book and draw pictures of the images that the book creates. Then, perhaps, to watch the movie and talk abut how their visions differed. As always, I love the names Dahl's books and how they further develop characters. There are some points that would have to be explained to children as part of the time the book was released such as the cursing and the apparent slavery of the Oompa Loompas, but this will always be one of my favorite children's books that is a fun read from cover to cover. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jul 28, 2015 |
More enjoyable than the movie. :-) ( )
  sraelling | Jul 26, 2015 |
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one of my all time favorite books. This book details how a poor boy is one of five children chosen to go into Willy Wonka's famed factory. He goes in with his grandfather and is rewarded with the factory for his pure heart.

I just always loved this book and the message that it sent--that you are rewarded for your good heartedness.

1.Children can be asked to identify what each person did to be punished and ejected by Wonka.
2.Children can be asked if there was a better way for Wonka to find his heir.
  vhein | Jul 15, 2015 |
Young Charlie Bucket is one of five lucky children who win a Golden Ticket to the top secret Chocolate Factory owned and run by the mysterious Willy Wonka. Amazing sights await and soon it becomes evident that there is more to this tour than appears at first glance.

Not having been a Roald Dahl fan as a child, I was looking forward to read his novels aloud to my girls. My initial enthusiasm (see my review of The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me) soon started to wear off. And this must count as my most disappointing Dahl read so far. Widely lauded as one of the best children's books ever, it just didn't work for me. For a start, I found Willy Wonka to be probably the most irritating and sanctimonious literary character I ever had the misfortune to meet. Given a choice, I'd prefer to join Count Dracula or Lady Macbeth for tea rather than spend another five minutes with Mr Wonka. He is, after all, an autocratic master who exploits the expendable "Oompa Loompas" at the factory and spends the novel goading kids into breaking the rules only to dispense sadistic punishments when they do so.

Secondly, for its undoubted flights of fancy, the novel is underpinned by a surprisingly repetitive and not particularly beguiling narrative structure. As one by one the children end up in (literally) sticky situations, one starts to feel that the plot is not as fantastically imaginative as appears on the surface and, in its own way, is not much more complicated than a Dora the Explorer episode. To opt for a more flattering analogy, it is like a Mozart or Haydn rondo, where the same theme keeps returning with variants. Except that Mozart is way more fun.

The same can be said for the novel's world view. The wackiness and dark humour of the book make it seem subversive, but "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is ultimately quite a traditional (and, frankly, patronising) cautionary tale where (surprise, surprise) disobedient spoilt brats who eat too much and watch too much tv are punished whilst the long-suffering "good boy" gets a reward. I have no problem with that - but perhaps the frequent portrayal of Dahl as an impish, iconoclastic author is at odds with the underlying message of this novel.

Naturally, I might be missing some subtle ironic interpretation. I wish it were the case.

To be fair, my kids did enjoy the book, although my younger daughter (6 years old) was quite distressed at the fate of the naughty children. Evidently she has a greater sense of compassion than that Wonka. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Jul 11, 2015 |
This would be a good book to use when talking about fantasy. I think students would like this book because of the crazy events that happen. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 5, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacques, Faithmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322713, 0141329858, 0141332123, 014133102X, 0141333162, 0143106333, 0141328878, 0141346450

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,432,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible