Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1975)

by Roald Dahl, Faith Jacques

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)

English (257)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (270)
What a delightful little book. I listened to the audio version, narrated by Eric Idle (famous for being part of Monty Python). He put so much spirit into each of the characters, it was hard not to like this book. It was humorous and cute. Lessons are to be learned by the "bad" children that take this tour (I liken them to the 7 sins - or only 4 in this case). Charlie is obviously the exception to this rule. Lesson: be a good child and you will get what you deserve. Be a bad child...and you will also get what you deserve. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
We just finished this last night, another winner from Roald Dahl! I am embarrassed to say that I had never read it, just seen the Gene Wilder movie when I was younger. My seven-year-old was captivated. He said his favorite part was the glass elevator shooting into the sky like a rocket. And when asked which of the factory's candies he's most want to be real (or to try) he replied the hot caramel lake. Yum. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Audiobook read by Eric Idle

Who doesn’t already know the story of the Golden Tickets hidden in select candy bars, and the tour of the Wonka Chocolate Factory? Me, that’s who. Or at least not before I read this book. Yes, my secret is out; I’ve been living under a rock for the last 50 years.

I never read Dahl as a child, and never saw the movie - or should I say movieS, plural, since I’ve now become aware there was more than one film adaptation. Anyway, I can now safely come out from under my rock and join the world.

I like how Dahl gives us a glimpse of bad behavior and consequences, balanced by the quiet, unassuming Charlie and his devoted family. I loved the Oompa-Loopmas and their clever songs. I liked that good behavior was rewarded – big time! – in the end.

I did think the adults and children who behaved badly were pretty over-the-top, and I never connected to Willy Wonka nor understood the reasons behind his ultimate decision. But, this is a children’s book and I can see the great appeal that this kind of “fairy tale” holds for children.

Eric Idle does a marvelous job of narrating the audio book. All his skill as a voice artist is put to good use creating unique characters. I’d give him 4 stars for his narration. Of course, if you listen you’ll miss the delightful illustrations; I’m glad I had a text copy handy to enjoy those. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 1, 2016 |
I can't think of the words to describe how magical this book is. Magical and fantastically creepy. So I'm not even going to try. But if you have children you MUST read this book to them, or have them read it. You will not regret it. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |

Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322713, 0141329858, 0141332123, 014133102X, 0141333162, 0143106333, 0141328878, 0141346450

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,191,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible