Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1975)

by Roald Dahl, Faith Jacques

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)

English (237)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (250)
Summary: Mr. Willy Wonka, owner of the greatest chocolate factory, puts on a contest for five lucky boys and girls who receive a golden ticket underneath their wrapper in one of Wonka's famous chocolate bars. Charlie Bucket is one of those children who defies the odds in winning a ticket as he comes from a very poor family. As the contestants, with one of their family members, enter into the chocolate factory, receiving a personal tour from Mr. Wonka, each of the children are ejected one by one from the factory, except for Charlie, due to their selfishness, greed, gluttony, pride, etc. Therefore, Charlie wins the contest, defeating every trial because of his great humility and contentment. In the end, Wonka gives Charlie the entire chocolate factory for winning and they fly in a glass elevator to retrieve the rest of his family.

Personal Response: I thought this fantasy book had a great plot and moral lesson. It is a very enjoyable book to read and has no problem exciting young children. I remember the first time I read this book and feeling quite memorized by the chocolate factory just like Charlie.

Extension Ideas:
(1. Children could paint tickets gold and write one trait of a character from the story. Then they could be displayed around the room.
(2. One day, each student could invent their own candy like Mr. Wonka and bring that candy to class (i.e. their favorite candy) in its unique package. They would do show and tell with their candy and then exchange with one another.
  cwall_2018 | Oct 5, 2015 |
@charlie_chocolate +library ( )
  Lorem | Sep 28, 2015 |
I saw the movie first and I thought it was pretty good; but after reading the book, I think the book is better. ( )
  Mikelodeon | Aug 11, 2015 |
To put my review into perspective, it's important to note that I am probably obsessed with the original movie. I've seen it more than any other movie in existence and could probably recite every word in the script. I was then properly horrified by the second movie, which everyone told me was "closer to the book" in its defense. So I imagined I'd encounter this demented Wonka in the novel with the weird dentist father, but now I have come to realize just how many people pretend to have read books when they know that someone else has not read them. So the second movie is just demented and ineffective, and it's not Dahl's fault one bit.

The book bored me after my initial delight with Dahl's humorous writing style. Perhaps it's because I spent the entire time categorizing all of the information in terms of movie 1 & 2, but I have to say that the book pales in comparison to movie 1. All of the elements of the movie that make me a fan do not exist in the novel (themes especially). Also, the 3-page long songs of the oompa-loompas annoyed me.

I do have to admit that I chuckled at some of Wonka's ideas and comments, but he's no Gene Wilder.

Apparently, it's a hit with 9-year-old boys, especially since it said "ass", but not worth reading in my opinion. It served its purpose to inspire a brilliant movie, and that's its legacy for me.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Who doesn't know the extremely popular and wide spread story of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? This book stirred some mixed feelings for me. As always I admire Roald Dahl's use of language and playfulness with it. It makes me laugh and some of the descriptions are very captivating. When reading the portion of Charlie and his family running severely low on food; the details of Charlie's hunger in fact made me hungry, no, starving and completely sympathetic and sad for charlie. But they were simply moments when this happened. There was also the repetitiveness in the plot where one by one the children were being thrown out for their behavior and the idea that we all know about bad and spoiled kids ending last with some form of punishment. It was a bit too repetitive for my taste and I also felt that it dragged on. I think for me personally is that because I already exactly knew what would happen before each page, I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have reading it with no information from other forms of media. But at the same time a good book is able to lure you back many times even if you've already read it once. That is why I'm torn whether I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected because of a "me" problem or because the author didn't succeed in keeping my interest. Of course other people love it and this book enthralls many readers so it must be doing something right, but as for me it was simply a good read that I wasn't that interested in. ( )
  alejandro.santana | Jul 31, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacques, Faithmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322713, 0141329858, 0141332123, 014133102X, 0141333162, 0143106333, 0141328878, 0141346450

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,780,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible