Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1975)

by Roald Dahl, Faith Jacques

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Recently added byprivate library, Hhaddad1, CamrossNS, kfrost32, ohbookish, Tacoma.Red, arena100, cattylj
    Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)

English (219)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (232)
This book is about a young boy named Charlie who lived with his grandparents and his parents. They were very poor and they barely had enough money for food. Charlie's father worked at a toothpaste factory and he scrood on the tops of the toothpaste bottles and when the factory shut down, Charlies father desperately tried to get another job. But all he found was shoveling snow off drivways and the family started to starve. Little Charlie started to become dangeresly thin and right beside his little house was a humongous chocolate factory so when the owner sends out golden tickets Charlie is desparet to find one.
I liked this book because the ending doesn't leave questions for me to think about. I also liked this book because I really like all of Rohld Dahl'sbooks and I am trying to read all of Rohld Dahl's books. ( )
  EmmaS91 | Feb 18, 2015 |
I can’t remember much about "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", as I read it when at primary school, but I do recall how popular Roald Dahl was with most if not all of the class, especially this book. For that reason I’m rating this five stars.

I read this and had it read to me (the equivalent to an audio book) somewhere from 1983-85, thus I’ve put 1984 in the details below as an average. I will have read/heard a few of Mr Dahl’s books during this period, of which the details of some titles I can’t remember at all, but this one I may have actually read up to three times, plus I saw screen adaptations more than once as a child.

We did a school play based on this but can’t recall my minor role.

If I had to or wanted to re-read any children’s books for some reason or other then I’d definitely opt for works by this author. All these years on and he’s left a very faint yet rosy memories in the back of my mind. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 5, 2015 |
This book was too mean for me when I was a kid--I hated it. Forty years later, I adored it. It felt perfectly constructed to me, in the same way The Great Gatsby feels perfectly constructed to me. Everything that happens was in the right place in the story, and just enough.

I'm very much a fan of Dahl's short stories for grown-ups, which are just as sinister as his children's books, but more subtle--try "Man from the South" or "The Sound Machine," both of which are very hard to forget. ( )
  poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, a leader author of children's fiction as well as adult fiction. I didn't love this book though the kids I teach do. The reason they like it is the reason I don't. It's fantasy. Though I must say the second half which is all fantasy is fun as the five Golden Pass winners go through the chocolate factory. The chocolate factory is pure joy. It is a wonderful book to read with your children. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Dec 14, 2014 |
Who doesn't know Dahl's story of poverty-stricken little Charlie Bucket who finds one of Willie Wonka's golden tickets and, along with four other children, gets a tour of his amazing chocolate factory? Each of the other children demonstrates a common childhood failing, to extreme-gluttony, greediness, excessive gum-chewing, and TV addiction. As, one by one, they fall prey to the factory's enticements, soon only Charlie is left and he gets the ultimate prize. Listeners will find themselves once again rooting for Charlie. The author performs the book with vim, vigor, tons of expression, and the occasional sound effect. This is a joyous leap into a childhood classic that both children and adults will enjoy. The authors imaginary attitude portrays the interesting adventure that these selected characters have. There are no illustrations included in this chapter book, however, the authors use of imagination creates a fun and interesting read for all young readers! ( )
  eoertl1 | Dec 8, 2014 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacques, Faithmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:55 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322713, 0141329858, 0141332123, 014133102X, 0141333162, 0143106333, 0141328878, 0141346450

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,751,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible