Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1975)

by Roald Dahl

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)

English (305)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  All (2)  Catalan (1)  All (324)
3.75 Stars When you can hear the movie in your head as you read, you know they stuck very close to the book! :P ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
What an awesome story of choices and consequences told in the fantasy world of Mr. Willy Wonka. I can read it over and over.

Lexile 810 ( )
  JoanAxthelm | Aug 4, 2017 |
I don't think there is much more to say than that this is one of the most perfect books ever written and still brings me joy rereading with my children! ( )
  bevok | Jul 31, 2017 |
One of those books I should have read as a child. But life passed me by and I read this now as an adult. Pretending to be an adult. I think this book would have been better in the movie. I enjoyed the vivid world that Roald Dahl has created. But since I don't like chocolate all that much, I think my enjoyment was limited. Smile. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
I would use this book in a third grade classroom as an interactive read aloud because of the slight complexity of the text and I would want to make sure they are completely engaged and understanding the text.
  tylerschmitt | May 3, 2017 |
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I have always loved the movie version of this book, but this was my first time to read the book. I enjoyed this novel so much! It was not a very long read, and I think children would like that. This book would be perfect for kids to read. It is about a little boy named Charlie who gets the golden ticket to visit the chocolate factory. Once Charlie is at the chocolate factory, he quickly sees all the wonderful candy that is inside. This novel teaches many things for children. It teaches them not to be selfish and always be kind. Another good point in this book is that it teaches children to not be greedy. I recommend this book to everyone!

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foreman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacques, FaithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,766,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible