Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1975)

by Roald Dahl, Faith Jacques

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

English (199)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (212)
This is a true favorite of many children growing up. This is the classic story of Charlie Bucket and his vivid adventures through the magical world of Mr. Wonka's Chocolate Factory. This is probably Roald Dahl's most well known book, and rightfully so. This book is creative and completely pushes children to be more imaginative. Charlie Bucket truly goes on a wild ride of an adventure, filled with chaos and tasty treats. Even though I have seen both the 1971 movie as well as the more recent, 2005, Tim Burton movie, reading the book was even better. The book was more than I could have ever imagined. Roald Dahl is definitely an important author to teach children about, I hope to read his stories, including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, with my future classes. ( )
  SMLawrence | Sep 30, 2014 |
Who could forget this incredible tale about the amazing chocolate factory. Ever since reading this book as a child and then watching the popular movie starring Johnny Depp I have always been in love. It tells the story of a poor boy named Charlie who receives a golden ticket in his chocolate bar which indicates that he gets to go to the infamous chocolate factory. This book delights readers and Roald Dahl does an amazing job at holding the reader in with great descriptions and vocab. This book would be aimed for 4-6th graders maybe even some middle school students.
  Jclark5 | Sep 24, 2014 |
THERE ARE VITAMINS IN CHOCOLATE! According to Mrs Gloop. I wish. It's a shame the real Wonka Bars aren't infused with the A-Z vitamins mentioned in the book. Mmm, those bars were nice.

Far more entertaining than I expected it to be and I enjoyed the little details not covered in the movie adaptations.

Loved the social commentary in the Oompa Loompa songs.

On spoiled children [p127]:
For though she's spoiled, and dreadfully so,
A girl can't spoil herself, you know.

Who spoiled her, then? Ah, who indeed?
Who pandered to her every need?
Who turned her into such a brat?
Who are the culprits? Who did that?
Alas! You needn't look so far
To find out who these sinners are.
They are (and this is very sad)
Her loving parents, MUM and DAD.

And the commentary on TV [p146-7]:
IT ROTS THE SENSES IN THE HEAD!
IT KILLS IMAGINATION DEAD!
IT CLOGS AND CLUTTERS UP THE MIND!
IT MAKES A CHILD SO DULL AND BLIND
HE CAN NO LONGER UNDERSTAND
A FANTASY, A FAIRYLAND!
HIS BRAIN BECOMES AS SOFT AS CHEESE!
HIS POWERS OF THINKING RUST AND FREEZE!
HE CANNOT THINK - HE ONLY SEES!
"All right!" you'll cry. "All right!" you'll say,
"But if we take the set away,
What shall we do to entertain
Our darling children! Please explain!"
We'll answer this by asking you,
"What
used they keep themselves contented
Before this monster was invented?"
Have you forgotten don't you know?
We'll say it very loud and slow:
THEY ... USED ... TO ... READ! They'd READ and READ,
AND READ and READ, and then proceed
TO READ some more. Great Scott! Gadzooks!
One half their lives was reading books!
The nursery shelved held books galore!
Books cluttered up the nursery floor!
And in the bedroom, by the bed,
More books were waiting to be read!
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Back when Tim Burton was still a pretty decent director, I was overwhelmed by his wonderful 2005 film adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Watching the film was like entering some alternative universe where magic - and food - are the key point. I was intrigued by the amazing scenarios created and so of course, (shamely) a few years after the film, I decided to pick up this short book by Roald Dahl, whose writing I really enjoyed in Matilda.

And I was not dissapointed! Dahl's writing sucks you into a tasty world, full of sweets and chocolate and quirky characters and nice people and not-so-nice people - and does it so well you can't seem to put the book down. I seriously read the whole book in 30 minutes, only because it was such a big pleasure to be reading it.

I used to be obsessed about finding a Wonka Golden Ticket when I was a child. I think I still do, even more now. Couldn't care less about whether it is childish or not. Charlie, our main character comes from a very unfortunate family who doesn't have much to eat or clothes to cover themselves with but above all, they have a strong family bond. So, when Charlie finds a Golden Ticket and gets to, along with other 4 kids, visit Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, where no one ever went in or out, life changed.

And we're told the magic tale of how the factory is run by all these super awesome creatures and how the factory insides are fenomenal.
Super great read. Picking up the sequel right away! ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |

Super great read. Picking up the sequel right away! ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacques, Faithmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:55 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Nine editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140311254, 0141322713, 0141329858, 0141332123, 014133102X, 0141333162, 0143106333, 0141328878, 0141346450

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,978,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible