Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1975)

by Roald Dahl

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)

English (272)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (286)
This story is about a boy named Charlie Bucket. Charlie is one of five children invited to Mr. Willy Wonka's amazing chocolate factory by finding a golden ticket. Once inside the factory they are given a tour, but things take a turn for the worse as one by one, each child leaves the factory. This exciting novel gives readers a sense of morality and right versus wrong. Something bad happens to each child that misbehaves or do something they were told not to. Charlie is the only child remaining at the end because he is honest. ( )
  NicoleHorney | Sep 25, 2016 |
It's at least a decade ago I last read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's still funny - silly even and has a dark edge. Really enjoyed reading it again! ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Sep 18, 2016 |
Ah, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

This was such an indulgent book for me. I loved, as a child, reading about the chocolate factory. Never mind the characters, although it is a wonderful cast! The descriptions of the chocolate factory were so vivid, and I wanted more. There wasn't enough talk of the the spearmint leaves the edible buttercups and all the other sweets and lollies.

I did love the characters though, even if they were a little bit cliché. I do remember them all vividly.

I think, though, that this can't be my favourite Roald Dahl book. I didn't find all the parts totally interesting - as I did with some of his other books.

But it's still one of his most well-known, and definitely worth a read. 3.5 stars. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I re-read this book with a boy I am baby-sitting over the summer, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Roald Dahl does an excellent job touching readers' hearts and making them route for poor Charlie Bucket-- through and through!
  Andrea_LaLonde | Aug 10, 2016 |
I can't think of the words to describe how magical this book is. Magical and fantastically creepy. So I'm not even going to try. But if you have children you MUST read this book to them, or have them read it. You will not regret it. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |

Schindelman, JosephIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322713, 0141329858, 0141332123, 014133102X, 0141333162, 0143106333, 0141346450

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,116,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible