Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (original 1975; edition 1988)

by Roald Dahl

15,146319124 (4.1)250
Member:parasolofdoom
Title:Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Authors:Roald Dahl
Info:Puffin (1988), Paperback, 176 pages

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (1975)

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)

English (301)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  All (2)  Catalan (1)  All (319)
I would use this book in a third grade classroom as an interactive read aloud because of the slight complexity of the text and I would want to make sure they are completely engaged and understanding the text.
  tylerschmitt | May 3, 2017 |
I would use this book as a assigned independent read for third or fourth grade students. I would assign certain pages that must be read at home alone, and then we would meet up in class and go over the things in the reading and discuss the major plot events and some of the problems that have occurred so far and if a solution has been decided or attempted and how it turned out. This will help them point out character progression and see how the characters change and form into who they actually are. You could use a type of organizer to illustrate and show who each character is and words that describe them and their intentions.
  apecaro01 | Apr 17, 2017 |
I would use this book as an independent or group read with grades 4 to 5 because they would be able to read this independently with little help, and they would also be interested in the story of the book. Among the many activities I could do with this, I would have the students look at the 5 characters that get the golden tickets, and describe their characteristics and how they connect with the way they were taken out of the factory. This looks at the character development and foreshadowing. Another activity I would do with either grade is to complete a graphic organizer that would point out the introduction, the rising action, the climax, the falling action, and the resolution so that they can recall the key details of the story, but also apply them to literary elements.
  rstrohmeier | Apr 16, 2017 |
I would use this book as a read aloud for a second grade class because this will ensure that all the students are understanding how the actions of the characters are effecting what happens to them in the factory. By reading this book aloud, I can help the students make connections between how Charlie acted compared to the other kids and guide them to making inferences about why Willy Wonka chose him to win the big prize. If the students were to read this book independently, they may not realize the cause and effects that the author has cleverly written, they may just focus on the interesting plot line. Reading this story aloud will give the students a better understanding of how to detect the way characters actions deal with the challenges they face and open the class for discussion. After the first child is punished, I can have the students pair share what they believe will happen next to the kid who is rude. I would have fourth graders read this story independently because this text is a Lexile level 810 text, which is the level that fourth graders should be able to read independent. With a second grade class, I will have them participate in a read aloud because this will allow me to ask the students questions through out the story and involve pair sharing when I want to see what the students believe will happen next in the story. Once we have read the story, I will have the students recall what happened to the main characters in the story. They will tell me what happened to each of the characters and I will write down their summary on the board under that persons name. Then i will ask the students how they believe Charlie reacted to these events happening around him. After asking that question, I will create a writing prompt where the students will write a short story about how they would react to receiving a golden ticket to how they would react to seeing the inside of the factory. This exercise will have the students practice writing a story from the beginning, middle, and end. I will have the students identify what happened at the beginning, middle, and ending of the story we read aloud and then identify these three parts in their own story. For a fourth grade class, I will have them do an author study where they will independently read another story written by Roald Dahl and compare and contrast both stories. I will have them write a paper on what they found was similar writing styles that Dahl used and compare and contrast the theme of each story. I will also have the students watch the movie version of the the story and once again compare and contrast the events that happened in the story to what happened in the movie. As a class, we will create a large Venn Diagram and I will have students one at a time come to the board to write down what they believe was similar or different between the two versions. ( )
  Jbrochu | Apr 13, 2017 |
This book is filled with quirky characters and good life lessons. The main theme is about being a good person and in the end things will work out for you. This story brings you on an adventure through a chocolate factory owned by a cooky man who is trying to give it away. In the end Charlie and his grandpa win because of their selflessness and good hearts, this book is fun and has a good meaning behind it. ( )
  chasityashe | Apr 13, 2017 |

Schindelman, JosephIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,373,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible