Charlie & the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (original 1975; edition 1991)

by Roald Dahl

Title:Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Authors:Roald Dahl
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (1991), Hardcover

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (1975)

Recently added byJay-Freeman, tymcminimy, private library, anneemall, SigmundFraud
    Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)

English (248)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (261)
I started reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to the kids just a few nights ago. In only a couple of readings the setting moved from cabbage and cold to chocolate bars and edible buttercup plants, and we were floating along, delightfully, through rivers of chocolate and Oompa Loompa songs. Our guide was the indefatigable Willy Wonka, in a colorful suit and top hat, full of more ideas and fanciful treats than one book could possibly describe.

I exaggerate not one chocolate kiss when I say that my girls literally squeal with laughter at each over-the-top description of yet another incredible room in Willy Wonka's factory. Whether it's chocolate falls, nut cracking squirrels or chocolate by television, everything in Charlie Bucket's tour of Wonka's chocolate factory is exactly what every child dreams of, right down to the last page.

It's been so long since I have read a Roald Dahl that I had completely forgotten his deft parsimony of language and ability to tell a story that speaks to a child's imagination. The world is an imperfect place, and he does nothing to cover up that fact, but he also sees the potential for good, for joy, and for serendipity. We had a lot of fun reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and we had so much fun that I think we'll have to read another Dahl soon. ( )
  publiusdb | Nov 22, 2015 |
This book is about a little boy name Charlie. He found a dollar on the sidewalk and went into a candy store and bought a chocolate candy bar. He won a ticket to go explore the chocolate factory. ( )
  Angelatw | Nov 16, 2015 |
About a boy named Charlie won a golden ticket to tour Mr. Wonka's chocolate factory. He could take one family member and he chose his grandpa to go with him. He and other contest winners get to tour the magical and mysterious factory filled with chocolate and other candies, along with Oompa Loompa workers. ( )
  ma839 | Nov 7, 2015 |
The story is about a young boy named Charlie, who lives a life of poverty along with his family. Charlie and four other children find a golden ticket which allows them and one guest to tour the largest and most famous chocolate factory in the world: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. As publicly advertised, at the end of the tour, the children will be given enough candy to last them for the rest of their lives. However, unknown to Charlie, the adventure that he is about to embark upon will change his life forever.

Personal Reaction:
This book was one of my favorite books as a child. I love the moral of the story and how it shows how someone's life can turn around for the better when it's least expected.

Classroom Extension:
1. I could have the children each write a short story with a beginning, middle, and end describing their imaginary trip to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory by answering four questions: How did they find the ticket? Who would they take with them? What did they see in the factory? What happens at the end of their tour?
2. In the classroom, I could have the children make their own golden tickets.
  Stacie_Larsen | Oct 28, 2015 |
This book is about a boy that wins a golden ticket. There are only five tickets in the world so when this unlucky boy wins he is very excite. He takes his grandfather with him. Throughout the story all the children break the rules and have to suffer the consequences. In the end Charlie is the only one that is left and he gets his the chocolate factory.
I love this book but at the same time I hate it. I love the story but the characters are so irritating they make it unbearable to deal with at times. However, I supposed this does make the reader love Charlie all the more.
Classroom extensions would be to have the children draw some of the things that happened to the characters or the setting or to create their very own fabulous candy and draw it.
  Sayge | Oct 28, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacques, Faithmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322713, 0141329858, 0141332123, 014133102X, 0141333162, 0143106333, 0141328878, 0141346450

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,879,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible