Charlie & the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (original 1975; edition 1991)

by Roald Dahl

Member:mausergem
Title:Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Authors:Roald Dahl
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Children

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (1975)

English (204)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (217)
Some books you like more and more as you get older; this one I like less. It is a book only for little children. ( )
  MattPearson | Oct 20, 2014 |
I can't think of the words to describe how magical this book is. Magical and fantastically creepy. So I'm not even going to try. But if you have children you MUST read this book to them, or have them read it. You will not regret it. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Roald Dahl is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
The big idea in this book is acknowledging that genuine niceness always succeeds in the end. I have enjoyed this book since I was a young child, and I continue to enjoy it to this day. One aspect of this book that I enjoyed was the illustrations throughout the entire book. Dahl included pictures throughout the text, and this characteristic helps to break the book up, and helps the reader visualize. The illustrations may not be extremely detailed or colorful, but they help me understand the book more fully. One quality, also found in Dahl’s other books is his imaginative characters and settings. Situations like Augustus Glop getting caught in the chocolate pipe, or the oompa-loompa workers create a story that is exciting to read. Dahl also includes a lot of humor throughout his story. Willy Wonka is sarcastic, and it comes through so well through the book, such as when he does not want to hear the children, he will tell them that they are mumbling and move on to the next topic. Humor like this works well in the book, and still makes me laugh even today. All of these aspects together create a story that any child could enjoy. ( )
  cyoung23 | Oct 18, 2014 |
This story is about Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory is finally opening and only five children are allowed inside. The only way they are allowed in is if they have the golden wrapper from a Wonka chocolate bar. One of the ones who got a golden wrapper is a boy named Charlie. Charlie was able to bring only one person with him and he chose his grandfather who was closest to him. After entering the factory, there is a lot of adventure during this tour, a lot of candy, River of chocolate,. oompa-loompas and so much more!

My reaction:
This is the first time I have read about Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. I have only seen the movie. I enjoyed the book and think it would be an excellent choice for student readers.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom, I would divide my students into groups. I would then tell the students to work together to write descriptions and draw pictures about what happens to the four naughty children in the following factory rooms.
2. The students can design their own chocolate bar. Students will use art supplies to make it.
  AmberDimmitt | Oct 14, 2014 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacques, Faithmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:55 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Nine editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140311254, 0141322713, 0141329858, 0141332123, 014133102X, 0141333162, 0143106333, 0141328878, 0141346450

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible