The Fall of Princes: A Novel by Robert…

The Fall of Princes: A Novel

by Robert Goolrick

I almost gave up on this one a hundred times, and hated the first 2/3 of the book, but Holly and the last few chapters saved it for me. ( )
  AmyCahillane | Feb 24, 2016 |
A fun look at the 1980s from the perspective of a high-riding Wall Street trader who made and spent huge amounts of money during the tumultuous decade. Rooney writes from his older and wiser perspective as he recounts how he gained and lost everything - his job, his home, his wife, and his friends. Rooney's downfall is very human at times - it takes him a surprisingly long time to realize how fall he has fallen in the world - and almost too easy to relate to. Good, but not amazing reading (not quite as good as the same author's novel A Reliable Wife). ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Feb 8, 2016 |
I both liked and disliked The Fall of Princes. Basically, it's about the self-excessive lifestyles that went on in NYC in the 1980s. As usual, Robert Goolrick's writing is great (I have read and loved his past two novels), but here I just didn't like the protagonist, a man who seemingly gets what he deserves, and he reflects on that. I don't think any reader could possibly like this person -- certainly, almost no one else in this novel liked him either.

It wasn't until the last forty pages of this novel that I finally started feeling some sympathy for this train-wreck of a guy. I wish Goolrick had made Rooney, and the people around him, at least a bit more likeable. I got the sense (from what I've read of Goolrick's background) that this novel may be semi-autobiographical, and perhaps for that reason Goolrick didn't want us to like what was going on, or the characters, because he didn't like himself and some of his actions in the past. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Jan 20, 2016 |
4.5 Stars, rounded to 4

In this semi-autobiographical novel, author Robert Goolrick takes us to Wall Street in the boom era of the 1980s. For those men on the Street, life was a never ending party. Loose women, fast cars, high fashion, and an endless supply of drugs and alcohol fueled their nights. But it was also the advent of the AIDS epidemic, and all around them they watched their friends die, fearful of the disease, but also unheeding of the choices they were making.

I was fascinated by this book from start to end. It is brash, bold, and incredibly in your face. The language that Goolrick chose to tell the story was perfectly suited to the time. Told in the first person, Rooney, who lived his life on top of the world before it came tumbling down after one wrong choice on a night like any other, tells us his history and also his present.

This story shares many similarities to the author's own life, though it his not his entirely. I was quite impressed by his ability to fictionalize his story in this manner, giving over just enough elements to lend authenticity, but also not making it all about him. Previously, I had not entertained any thoughts of reading Goolrick's memoirs, The End of the World As We Know It, but it is now solidly on my radar.

This is the second book I've read by this author, and despite their differences in time and content, stylistically they have much in common. I am more than a bit impressed by his ability to write such vastly different stories and yet allow his voice as an author shine through so clearly. His second book, Heading Out to Wonderful, has been taking up space on my Nook for a couple of years, but I will now be making plans to read it very soon. Goolrick has rapidly become one of my favorite contemporary authors and I look forward to reading any future publications. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Thank you to Algonquin for an ARC of this title. I was excited about this one but it fell flat pretty hard. Predictable plot, a strange disorienting narrative structure, and unlikable characters made for a story you've heard before with no elements worth remembering or recommending. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Robert Goolrick's book The Fall of Princes was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,628,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible