We Never Asked for Wings by Vanessa…

We Never Asked for Wings (2015)

by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

If you enjoyed her first book, The Language of Flowers, I think you'll like this one too. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
Letty was always too busy to take care of her own kids. As a single parent, she worked three jobs for fourteen years, while her mother took over the responsibility of the children. Now, in her early thirties, Letty’s parents are leaving her and have decided to move back to Mexico. How will Letty manage? As each day passes, she does the best that she can do, and each day she learns more and more. One day, she decides to get her son out of their dangerous neighborhood high school and into a school that offers opportunities. That’s when things start unraveling little by little.

This book is utterly amazing! I fell in love with the realistic, very human characters, as I followed their struggles with poverty and life in general. This book has a timely message as it deals with a young girl who was brought to this country, illegally, as an infant. This is a story of hope and family and survival. ( )
  Sandralovesbooks | Mar 30, 2018 |
I found this a nice enough, easy read, but was very unbelievable in places and SO many issues were dealt with but none in any depth.
We start with mum Letty leaving 14 year old Alex home alone with (MASSIVELY ANNOYING) 6 year old Luna, to follow her mother to Mexico. Once in Mexica, grandma and grandad decide to stay there which means Letty ha to go home and look atfer her own kids - something she has never done before, leaving it to her parents.
This in itself could have made for an interesting novel - but then we also have Alex finding his dad, Letty falling for fellow bartender hunky Rick - who also teaches her to mix cocktails which somehow makes them loads of money at the airport bar they work in. Rick also manages to snag them a cottage in the nice part of town so the kids can go to the posh school. then Alex falls for a Mexican illegal girl and tries to fake an application for her to go to his school as she is bullied - They get caught, he ends up in young offenders and she goes to an immigration centre. Then at he end everyone makes up and it's all fine.
This would have been enough with Letty trying to bond with the children she had utterly neglected and Alex reuniting with his dad. But all the other stuff thrown in made for a bit of unfocused mess and everything was dealt with with way too light a touch. nothing felt believable or authentic, and anything interesting seemed to be swept away too easily. ( )
  AHouseOfBooks | Mar 6, 2018 |
Loved her first book. This was a good read too but I found the ending unbelievable. I could not really imagine that the school/law enforcement would handle Alex/Yesenia so heavy handed. ( )
  SBG1962 | Feb 26, 2018 |
Meh. I really really really wanted to like this book. It was different from many I have read - different setting, family type, etc. BUT...I didn't love it. It was just....okay. I kept picking it up, putting it down, losing it, and then finding it and saying...oh yeah...that book. ( )
  adgcruz | Feb 21, 2018 |
The Himalayan legend says there are beautiful white birds
that live completely in flight.
They are born in the air,
must learn to fly before falling
and die also in their flying.
Maybe you have been born
into such a life
with the bottom dropping out.
--from "In Flight," by Jennifer K. Sweeney
For Donovan, Tre'von, Graciela, and Miles
And in memory of Sharon Renee Higgins, 1991-2011
It wasn't too late to turn back.
Migrating birds reorient themselves at sunset. The exact reason is unknown, but at twight,
just when the sun drops beyond the horizon line, birds flying in the wrong direction
correct their flight paths all at once.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055339231X, Hardcover)

From the beloved New York Times bestselling author of The Language of Flowers comes her much-anticipated new novel about young love, hard choices, and hope against all odds.

For fourteen years, Letty Espinosa has worked three jobs around San Francisco to make ends meet while her mother raised her children—Alex, now fifteen, and Luna, six—in their tiny apartment on a forgotten spit of wetlands near the bay. But now Letty’s parents are returning to Mexico, and Letty must step up and become a mother for the first time in her life.

Navigating this new terrain is challenging for Letty, especially as Luna desperately misses her grandparents and Alex, who is falling in love with a classmate, is unwilling to give his mother a chance. Letty comes up with a plan to help the family escape the dangerous neighborhood and heartbreaking injustice that have marked their lives, but one wrong move could jeopardize everything she’s worked for and her family’s fragile hopes for the future.

Vanessa Diffenbaugh blends gorgeous prose with compelling themes of motherhood, undocumented immigration, and the American Dream in a powerful and prescient story about family.

Praise for Vanessa Diffenbaugh’s The Language of Flowers

“Captivating . . . The Language of Flowers deftly weaves the sweetness of newfound love with the heartache of past mistakes.”—Minneapolis Star Tribune

“[An] original and brilliant first novel . . . [Diffenbaugh is] a mesmerizing storyteller.”The Washington Post

“Fascinating . . . Diffenbaugh clearly knows both the human heart and her plants, and she keeps us rooting for the damaged Victoria.”O: The Oprah Magazine (book of the week)

“Diffenbaugh effortlessly spins this enchanting tale, making even her prickly protagonist impossible not to love.”Entertainment Weekly

“Compelling . . . immensely engaging . . . unabashedly romantic . . . an emotional arc of almost unbearable poignance.”—The Boston Globe

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:14:46 -0400)

"For fourteen years, Letty Espinosa has worked three jobs around San Francisco to make ends meet while her mother raised her children--Alex, now fifteen, and Luna, just six--in their tiny apartment on a forgotten spit of wetlands near the bay. But now Letty's parents are returning to Mexico, and Letty must step up and become a mother for the first time in her life. Navigating this new terrain is challenging for Letty, especially as Luna desperately misses her grandparents and Alex, who is falling in love with a classmate, is unwilling to give his mother a chance"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Vanessa Diffenbaugh's book We Never Asked for Wings was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,399,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible