The Girl in the Spider's Web by David…

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2015)

by David Lagercrantz

Series: Millennium Series (4)

English (105)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  All (127)
2.5 stars

Not too sure how to summarize, as I sort of “missed” what got it started. Ended up with the father of an autistic child working on some sort of artificial intelligence and Lisbeth Salander getting involved to protect the autistic boy.

It was really not interesting throughout most of the first 2/3 of the book, but it picked up for the last 1/3, about the time Lisbeth and August (the autistic boy) were together, but not really enough to increase my rating by much. I don’t plan to continue the series. ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 22, 2017 |
Not as good as the stories by Larssen. Too much exposition, not enough story. ( )
1 vote TommyB | Oct 12, 2017 |
I was very hesitant about reading this book. I really loved the first three books in this series but after the author passed away I worried that with a new author it would not be the same. I decided to read it and see if it worked. I do think there are some slight differences but it was still a really good read. I am glad that I read it and will continue with the series. ( )
  Thelmajean | Sep 29, 2017 |
Definitely not as good as the original three. Not enough Salander, and I disagree with the author's choice to 'ship' her and Blomkvist again. I should've checked before reading, but the author's Acknowledgments at the end thanked Larsson's brother and father. It was Larsson's girlfriend who had all of his notes and the manuscript of the fourth novel.

I would not recommend unless you're a completist and HAVE to read it. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
Mikael Blomkvist hasn't written a decent story in a while and his reputation is once again being dragged through the mud in the media. The magazine he writes for has also struggled and had to accept some outside investment to avoid letting their two new recruits go and although they haven't interfered editorially as yet both Mikael and Erika Berger think it's only a matter of time until they do. Mikael's biggest problem though is that he is bored and is seriously contemplating leaving and it's only when a tip-off to a potential story happens to mention an old friend's involvement does he become interested again. Lisbeth Salender has managed to hack into the NSA, not because she was bored or through any privacy idealogue even if the latter was the message she left them with. She was searching for something quite specific and in the preocess managed to acquire quite an incriminating document even if it was encrypted with a code that even she is having trouble breaking. Can Blomkvist & Salender both find what they're looking for and will their paths cross again while they are searching?

Having enjoyed Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy immensely I was a little apprehensive about picking this one up seeing as an author more widely recognised for his biographical work (I am Zlatan) was chosen to continue the series. I made the conscious decision not to re-read the original books as I thought that would not allow me to judge this one fairly with constant comparisons to writing style, story and characters. I think I made the rught choice. The time between alllowed me to come into this one fresh and read it for what it is. Yes, there are differences but that has to be expected. Lagercrantz has certainly toned things down quite a bit, especially with the sex and violence that were always a part of Larsson's books. It's not that it doesn't happen here but it's mostly done off page and left to the reader's imagination. The story itself concerns a prominent scientist who who quit his prestigious position for a leading American firm to return to Sweden to look after his autistic son taking his research with him. Research that interests a lot of people not all of which have good intentions for its application. This book is a lot more action oriented than I remember the previous ones being and that does make it an easier book to read but it does feel less immersive as a consequence. If Mr Lagercrantz is to continue the series (it's ending is open enough to do so) and as there's another book listed on the series page so it looks like he is then I will happily pick it up at some point in time. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Sep 6, 2017 |

David Lagercrantzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Allenstein, UrselÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goulding, GeorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cette histoire commence par un rêve, un rêve qui n'a rien d'extraordinaire.

Late one night, Blomkvist receives a phone call from a source claiming to have information vital to the United States. The source has been in contact with a young female superhacker—a hacker resembling someone Blomkvist knows all too well. The implications are staggering. Blomkvist, in desperate need of a scoop for Millennium, turns to Salander for help. She, as usual, has her own agenda. The secret they are both chasing is at the center of a tangled web of spies, cybercriminals, and governments around the world, and someone is prepared to kill to protect it . . .

The duo who captivated millions of readers in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest join forces again in this adrenaline-charged, uniquely of-the-moment thriller.
lisbeth salander
computrix extraordinaire
hunts her evil twin

(sibyx)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,646,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible