Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho

Sorcerer to the Crown (2015)

by Zen Cho

Series: Sorcerer Royal (1)

English (78)  Swedish (1)  All languages (79)
This is so good! I loved it all, especially Rollo. ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
Dnf.

Sorry, I give up.
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
I had reservations about reading a book that sounded so similar to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which is one of my favourite books. But I'm really glad I read this. The tone is totally different - this is fun and often fluffy - and I really appreciate that it's a Regency period novel that is extremely critical of British Imperialism. This is yet another great book I heard about from listening to a Book Riot podcast (probably SFF Yeah). ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
*I received a copy of this book from Ace for reviewing purposes. This in no way influenced my opinion.

Tor.com describes this book as Jane Austen crossed with Susanna Clarke and Ignatius Sanco. Their blurb sold me on this book. I'm a huge Austen fan, but I also love a good fantasy. Magic and political intrigue check my "I want to read that book" boxes. Not to mention, the cover is absolutely gorgeous!

The award wining Zen Cho creates a mysterious, magical world that is everything you expect it to be plus much more. Zacharias Wythe is the main character of the book. He is the Sorcerer Royal of the Unnatural Philosophers. He's also a freed slave and faces many obstacles and prejudice from the other philosophers, not to mention somebody is trying to murder him. The society is in a bit of trouble when magic starts to dry up.

On his travels, Zacharias meets Prunella Gentleman. She's a fierce, kickass woman, who is also a very talented magician. The only problem is women in this era are taught to suppress their magical abilities. But Prunella wants to change that with the help of Zacharias. Mystery and intrigue also surround Prunella as she starts to uncover the truth about her past.

I love everything about this book. The characters are fantastic and dynamic. The story line is fast-paced and clever. I love the era that it's set it. The manners, the clothes, I love it all. I also love how Cho takes this already familiar world and builds upon it. The magical world that she built is as diverse as her characters. Cho is a gifted writer who has enchanted this reader. I can't wait to read the next book in this series. It's everything I've been wanting and more.
Read more at https://www.toreadornottoread.net/2019/03/review-sorcerer-to-crown.html#i6vxzgQt... ( )
  mt256 | Apr 5, 2019 |
Enjoyed the premise of this book and was really engaged through most of it. Magic is governed by the sort of men you might expect, if you lived in England during the Napoleonic Wars. But by a fluke, a black man, a former slave, is appointed the highest magician in England; and by a weirder fluke, he takes on an orphan girl born in colonial Southeast Asia as a secret apprentice. There's a crisis regarding the dearth of magic available in England, and as the story unfolds we begin to realize the crisis has something to do with colonial injustices and the suppression of women... imagine. 🙄 Anyway, most of the book is highly entertaining. I thought the narrative began degenerating around page 300, and it's always clear when the story reaches into the genre's bag of tricks to keep itself on track, but still think fondly of this world and its characters and will read the sequel when it eventually emerges. ( )
  deeEhmm | Apr 3, 2019 |

Zen Choprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Peter
The meeting of the Royal Society of Unnatural Philosophers was well under way, and the entrance hall was almost empty.

In this sparkling debut, magic and mayhem clash with the British elite...

The Royal Society of Unnatural Philosophers, one of the most respected organizations throughout all of England, has long been tasked with maintaining magic within His Majesty’s lands. But lately, the once proper institute has fallen into disgrace, naming an altogether unsuitable gentleman—a freed slave who doesn’t even have a familiar—as their Sorcerer Royal, and allowing England’s once profuse stores of magic to slowly bleed dry. At least they haven’t stooped so low as to allow women to practice what is obviously a man’s profession…

At his wit’s end, Zacharias Wythe, Sorcerer Royal of the Unnatural Philosophers and eminently proficient magician, ventures to the border of Fairyland to discover why England’s magical stocks are drying up. But when his adventure brings him in contact with a most unusual comrade, a woman with immense power and an unfathomable gift, he sets on a path which will alter the nature of sorcery in all of Britain—and the world at large…

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:16:11 -0400)

"In this sparkling debut, magic and mayhem clash with the British elite... The Royal Society of Unnatural Philosophers, one of the most respected organizations throughout all of England, has long been tasked with maintaining magic within His Majesty's lands. But lately, the once proper institute has fallen into disgrace, naming an altogether unsuitable gentleman--a freed slave who doesn't even have a familiar--as their Sorcerer Royal, and allowing England's once profuse stores of magic to slowly bleed dry. At least they haven't stooped so low as to allow women to practice what is obviously a man's profession... At his wit's end, Zacharias Wythe, Sorcerer Royal of the Unnatural Philosophers and eminently proficient magician, ventures to the border of Fairyland to discover why England's magical stocks are drying up. But when his adventure brings him in contact with a most unusual comrade, a woman with immense power and an unfathomable gift, he sets on a path which will alter the nature of sorcery in all of Britain--and the world at large.."--… (more)

Zen Cho is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,388,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible