My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding by Sherrilyn…
Member:lily1958
Title:My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon
Other authors:Charlaine Harris, L. A. Banks, Jim Butcher, Rachel Caine, Esther M. Friesner3 more, Lori Handeland, Susan Krinard, P. N. Elrod (Editor)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2006), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 310 pages

My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding by P. N. Elrod (Editor)

Collection of short stories that all feature a wedding and something/someone supernatural. We have vampires, werewolves, undead pirates as well as other assorted supernatural creatures. A fairy tries to hijack a werewolf wedding. A groom tries to off his new wife on a ship filled with undead pirates. A vampire and a werewolf are about to get married but the caterers have other ideas. An Elvis tribute artists with a little bit more of Elvis then catches the eye. Some stories were great and others I couldn't wait for them to be over. All in all a good read though ( )
  ChrisWeir | Jan 23, 2019 |
Since Urban Fantasy is my favorite series, it's impossible for me not to be drawn into a themed anthology featuring some characters I already follow and some characters I haven't met yet. The stories are mainly cozy, quaint, and humorous, but there is a serious shadow in a few of them. The cover is adorable with the cake and decorations befitting the genre - and of course with this kind of mixture you can expect all sorts of supernatural beings (vamps, shapeshifters, demons, witches, the undead.)

As with any anthology, the offering is a mixed bag, but I'm happy to report that overall the offerings make the bag pretty.

The first short story, Spellbound, is a cute thing that succeeds at being humorous. From the spoof play of the old rival between Hatfields and the McCoys, to the lust induced cravings of young couples holding off till the wedding, to disasters that befall best men and maids of honor, it's a riot. Not perfect (the field melodrama carries on too much at times and there's not wrap-up explanation about the very beginning), but some fun stuff. I'll always miss L.A. Banks, RIP.

Something Borrowed was yet another reminder to myself that I need to majorly catch up with the Harry Dresden series. Although choppy, it's fun and cute. Harry is a fill-in best man for a were friend about to tie the knot, but when he finds the missing bride, he also finds trouble. Bob makes a needed appearance with his corny tradmark lines. Worthy if you're a fan of the series, fast paced.

The third story, Dead Man's Chest by Rachel Caine, is easily my favorite. Pirates, betrayal, surprise twists, a little romance thrown in, humor, enjoyable characters- both heroes and villains - there's not much more I can ask for. I do need to find more of this author - fast.

All Shook Up - I did enjoy the Elvis wedding story - it was more about the magic of Elvis than anything. How the paranormal came into play was decent. Not my favorite story, but a decent one. Would be great for Elvis fans.

Charmed by the moon by Lori Handeland was well written and I like the author's technique with words. I can tell the main character would get on my nerves quick with attitude in a series, though. The story is a good one, sweet, and blending in Indian lore for Will - her intended's - sake.

Tacky - The Charlaine Harris story is set in Sookieverse with Dahlia but without Sookie or any of the main book characters. Not the best story but cute and amusing. Light in structure but it's fun enough.

A Hard Day's Night Searcher - I'm not familiar with the world and the legends that go along with it, but it wasn't really necessary. Jeff was especially funny as the teenage squire who keeps screwing things up. Raphael wasn't the most dimensional but he was amusing as well. Not the best story but one of them. Sherrilyn Kennon writes humor with ease.

...Or Forever Hold Your Peace - The last story seemed well constructed with several deep layers of twists, but it was one of those where you really need to know the overlying story, series, etc., to get into it and understand it enough to care. The writing isn't back but it's a little old fashioned for an Urban Fantasy series I haven't read. Think it's more for already established fans.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I Love it...this is funny, original, riveting, romantic, and even happy endings.

I especially enjoyed the Hatfield & McCoy marriage and the Pirates. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I have just read the short story by Jim Butcher. It was pretty good. I was hoping for more focus on other characters, but at least it did not reintroduce Harry for the millionth time like in the regular series. ( )
  taylor_cc | Jan 6, 2016 |
"Tacky" Set in Harris' Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood world, a vampire marries a were. Some humans are not terribly pleased with this, since not knowing about weres, they think the vamp is illegally marrying a human.

A cute little story. No cameos from any characters in the other books, but Dahlia and Todd are sweet and the exploration of inter-species romance was interesting.
  EmScape | May 20, 2015 |

Rodgers, ElisabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rummel, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, EileenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu, NancyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hollie McCoy smoothed the front of her flowing white dress and sat down by an adjacent tree.
Anthology - Contains the following short stories

"Spellbound" by L.A. Banks
"Something Borrowed" by Jim Butcher
"Dead Man's" Chest by Rachel Caine
"All Shook Up by P.N. Elrod"
"The Wedding of Wylda Serene" by Esther M. Friesner
"Charmed by the Moon" by Lori Handeland
"Tacky" by Charlaine Harris
"A Hard Day's Night-Searcher" by Sherrilyn Kenyon
"...Or Forever Hold Your Peace" by Susan Krinard

Please note that this anthology is not a part of any series. Some of the stories within it are, and can be listed as such, but the anthology itself should not be listed in the series. (E.g. "Something Borrowed" is part of the Dresden Files series, and appears in the Dresden Files series listing, but this anthology as a whole is not part of the series.)

Werewolves, vampires, witches, voodoo, Elvis---and weddings

An "ordinary" wedding can get crazy enough, so can you imagine what happens when otherworldly creatures are involved? Nine of the hottest authors of paranormal fiction answer that question in this delightful collection of supernatural wedding stories. What's the seating plan when rival clans of werewolves and vampires meet under the same roof? How can a couple in the throes of love overcome traps set by feuding relatives---who are experts at voodoo? Will you have a good marriage if your high-seas wedding is held on a cursed ship? How do you deal with a wedding singer who's just a little too good at impersonating Elvis?

·        L. A. Banks
·        Lori Handeland
·        Charlaine Harris
·        Sherrilyn Kenyon
·        Susan Krinard

Shape-shifters, wizards, and magic, oh my!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

Werewolves, vampires, and Elvis populate this collection of all new and original supernatural wedding stories from such award-winning authors as Sherrilyn Kenyon, Charlaine Harris, L.A. Banks, and Jim Butcher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,551,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible