Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (1952)

by E. B. White (Author)

Recently added bytercat, e-zReader, KimberlyKatzen
Legacy LibrariesH.D.

Summary:
This story is about a little girl who loved animals. She rescues a pig that her father was about to shoot because it was a runt. she named him Wilbur. H e becomes friends with a spider in the barn and she changes his life.

Personal Reaction:
I loved when we read Charlottes Web in elementary. It is such a classic story to read to young kids.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom we could use clear glue and make our own web. We wouldn't be able to see it but we could feel the web we made.
2. We could also cut out pigs and spiders and make a picture with both. ( )
  christyb2020 | Sep 17, 2014 |
Charlotte's Web is about Fern Abel and her family who live on a farm. She makes friends with a spider and a pig and along the way discover the ins and outs about friendship, admiration, and coming of age. It is perfect for possibly a 5th or 6th grade class when students are entering that odd stage of their life when they are in need of a little guidance and direction.
  Jclark5 | Sep 16, 2014 |
Summary:
In this story, it starts off with a little girl named Fern Arable who tries to stop her daddy from killing a piglet who is the runt. Her dad agrees not to kill the pig and lets Fern keep and take care of him. She names him Wilbur. She loves this little pig so much. She lets him sleep in the house and she even carries him in her doll carriage. Wilbur grows from a piglet to a pig and Arable dad says that Wilbur must go live at her uncle Homers house. Arable is fine with this since she can go see him anytime she wants. However, she finds out that her uncle Homer wants to fatten up Wilbur and kill and eat him! Wilbur hears this and is so sad. He asks the other farm animals to help save him from being killed. All of the animals do not know how to save him except a spider named Charlotte. Charlotte and Wilbur became great friends and she did not want to see her friend get slaughtered. She came up with an idea. Charlotte decided to weave words to help save Wilbur. She weaves words such a " Some pig" and "Terrific". This soon starts to grab peoples attention. Wilbur soon becomes famous and people come to see him. Uncle Homer doesn't want to slaughter him now. However, as Charlotte weaves these words for Wilbur, her strength gets weaker. Every day she gets weaker and weaker. On the day of the state fair, Charlotte is so weak, she made an egg sac and gave it to Wilbur to keep safe. Charlotte passed away. Wilbur took care of her eggs in the barn until spring came. After the eggs hatched, most of them flew away. However, there were three spiders who stayed with Wilbur and he took care of them and they became good friends.

My reaction:
This is a great story about friends helping each other out. In the end, Wilburs friend passed away but Charlotte trusted Wilbur to take care of her babies and in the end three of them stayed with Wilbur and took care of them and they were all good friends.

Classroom Extension ideas:

1. In my classroom, we could make spider webs on paper and have the kids make their name in the middle with letter stickers.

2. In my classroom, we could also talk about some of the other animals that were in the story.
  AmberDimmitt | Sep 15, 2014 |
"Charlotte's Web" is about a spring pig who learns his life he cherishes so much is going to come to an end when Christmas time comes. Wilbur, the pig, is very upset when the lamb tells him the news but his best friend in the barn, Charlotte, tells Wilbur she will save him. After a couple days of brain storming, Charlotte uses her web to write words about Wilbur which grabs everyone's attention. Charlotte continues to write using words such as "terrific," and "humble." Her plan succeeded in saving her best friend's life however, Charlotte dies the next morning after seeing all of her work pay off. ( )
  amarcu4 | Sep 14, 2014 |
Great classic to teach students about friendship and values. Also can be used to teach about sacrifice, mortality, and the circle of life. I would use this book in many ways, to read aloud to kids during teacher reading time, or have a class set and have students read their own copy. Wonderful classic to use in the classroom. Still very relevant to things we want to teach students.
  hugo.johnson | Aug 14, 2014 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,719,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible