Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (1952)

by E. B. White

Charlotte’s Web is a story about pig named Wilbur and his wonderful friendship with a barn spider named Charlotte. As a piglet, Wilbert is saved by a little farm girl named, Fern Arable. Once he gets bigger he is sold to her uncle, Homer Zukerman. Wilbur arrives to the barn and is snubbed by all the animals until he is befriended by Charlotte. Because Wilber is a pig, he is in danger of being slaughtered by the farmer. Charlotte begins to write messages within her web in order to convince the farmer to let him live. The first message she writes is “Some Pig.” As time goes by she continues to write various messages within her web. The farmer is impressed and enters Wilbert in the county fair. During the fair, Charlotte creates a sac for her offspring, she dies shortly after. Wilbert cares for her children and the future generations of spiders to come.
  Amberechase | Nov 30, 2015 |
"I really love this book. It had some interesting facts. Such as the sheep told Wilbur some bad news and then Charlotte saved him. My favorite part is that he didn't die before the next spring." ( )
  Germanita | Nov 20, 2015 |
This story is about a spunky pig, a kind hearted spider, and a young girl named Fern. The story starts with a cool morning and a young piglet’s birth. The piglet is a runt and the owner of the farm want to kill it because he believes the pig is too small and will never amount to much. Once the farmer’s young daughter finds out about the piglet she pleads for her father to keep him. The father allows the girl to keep the pig but it is her responsibility. Once the pig is big enough to live out in the barn he meets many animals but they fell to like him at first except for a kind spider named Charlotte. Wilber is placed in many scary situations, however the spider always get him out. Wilber the pig was the talk of the town thanks to Charlotte.
Personal Reaction
This story reminds me of being at home and on the farm with my grandparents. I can’t even imagen the bond between that pig and spider. This book always made me smile. I think this books teachers readers the value of friendship. No matter how different we are we can still be friends. This book teachers many lessons. The author does an amazing job bring the story to life in ones imagination.
Classroom Extensions
1.The teacher could read this book to the class over a course of a month and due a study over farm animals. Once the study and book is complete the class could take a field trip to a farm.
2. The class could put on a play based on the book.
3. A study over friendship could be done and each child could draw a picture of what a true friend should look like.
  KayleeClaunch | Nov 18, 2015 |
This Newberry-winning chapter book is about a young girl named Fern who lives on a farm with her family and is devastated to learn that her father is going to end the life of a pig simply because it is the runt of the litter. After pleading with her father, he decides to let her have the responsibility of raising the pig on her own. She names him Wilbur. After he becomes too big to live inside the house, he is put outside with the other animals. Wilbur struggles to make friends with the other animals. He is befriended by a spider named Charlotte. One day, a sheep tells Wilbur that, once again, his life is in danger. After Wilbur is devastated by the news, Charlotte calms him down by telling him that she will save his life, and she keeps her promise.

Personal Reaction:
I love this book for many reasons. I feel that it embodies many of the struggles often found in life: fear, death, friendship, and love. This story comes with many valuable lessons. It teaches that every life is precious. It teaches compassion. It teaches the importance of friendship. It teaches about standing up for what is right.

Classroom Extensions:
1. Using a list of vocabulary words, I could create a matching game worksheet that will require the children to match each character with their character traits.
2. I could use this story to teach a lesson about spiders. In addition, I could have the students research and write about a specific type of spider.
  Stacie_Larsen | Nov 17, 2015 |
Classic book that all children need to read and watch the movie. It has a great plot that will keep children enticed. ( )
  Annamabry | Nov 17, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr
This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
Charlotte the spider
Saves Wilbur by inventing
Viral marketing. (jmeisen)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,962,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible