Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (1952)

by E. B. White

Read (16)
Robin (5)

English (739)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (741)
Charlotte's Web was written by E.B. White and was illustrated by Garth Williams. This book is fun because it is about life and death which means that people should value their friendships. This book is great for 3rd to 6th grade students. ( )
  BritQuinn | Apr 24, 2017 |
Wilbur, a pig, is the runt of his litter. Before being killed, the daughter of the farmer asks to keep him as a pet. Wilbur meets many new friends along the way.
  morganlasher | Apr 21, 2017 |
This book is a Classic. We all read it as kids and will always love this book. I hope to pass this book down to my kids and grand kids. My mom told me she read it as a kid and loved it so we always had that special bond with this book. First there's the little girl, then the pig, the spider and of course the rat. This story teaches you about friendship, bravery and loss which I believe is very important. Some kids learn loss way too early but its life, it is what it is. Friendship is one of the biggest lessons in life. And bravery, only a few know the strength they need to have bravery. Definitely one good read!
  Hayley.Hustead | Apr 19, 2017 |
I'd use this book in a fifth grade class as a book project.id read the book in class with students and when we were finished, have them make a poster board comparing and contrasting two characters in the book. We would then watch the movie, and I have them write a page on how the movie and the book were alike and different.
  kroby01 | Apr 18, 2017 |
Each student would have their own copy of this book, but it would be read together as a class. With a fourth and fifth grade class, the students can pick one scene from the book and rewrite it from a character's point of view such as Charlotte, Wilbur, Templeton, etc. A third grade class could divide into groups where each group chooses one scene to dramatize and renact in front of the class. Each student would get the role of a character in the book and narrator to assess sequencing skills and attention to detail.
  kkminime | Apr 18, 2017 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas, HazelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In Earth unworthy,
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,796,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible