Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (1952)

by E. B. White (Author)

1950s (88)

I love this book! To me, it teaches that everyone is different in there own way, they just have to figure out what they are best at. This was my favorite chapter book as a child. I would read it all of the time and also, I would watch the movie right after. I would recommend this book go children because it is an easy read and if will keep them interested. ( )
  krausch | Mar 2, 2015 |
E. B. White's 'Charlotte's Web' is one of the most well-crafted stories I have ever read. Not having grown up in the U.S., I was not exposed to the book as a child. Reading it as an adult made me wonder about the level of the humor, story craft and language. Would I have thought it funny as a child? Would I have appreciated the book twenty years ago? 'Charlotte's Web' is a rare gem in that it takes kids' minds seriously, even in their humor. I can't wait to read it to my future child(ren) and discuss the different themes the book touches upon. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Feb 27, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book, and I still do. I like this book because of the characters, plot, and also pushes the reader to use their imagination. The main characters are Fern, Wilbur, and Charlotte. They are the "good" characters in the book. Fern saves Wilbur from being killed just because of his size. After this we see the relationship between Fern and Wilbur blossom. Wilbur has to do some pretty amazing things to stay with Fern and not to die. The plot is also interesting and keeps you wanting to find out more. He must develop a plan in order to live. Lastly, the reader can use their imagination. This was a realistic story except when Wilbur, and Charlotte talk which is a nice twist to draw the reader into the story. The storyline is really easy for students to follow as well. We read this story hoping for the best for Wilbur.
The main idea or lesson of this story is to never give up. Even though Wilbur was destined for death twice, he escaped both times. The second, because of a miracle like event made possible by a spider who has befriended him. ( )
  tbarne9 | Feb 26, 2015 |
This novel is about a young girl named Fern Avery who saves the runt pig from an untimely death and names him Wilbur. Wilbur is sent to live at her Uncle Zuckerman’s farm and makes many friends including a spider named Charlotte. The two become best friends and help each other fight their fate.
I liked Charlotte’s Web for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that is a well written story it was perfect for students ages six through twelve. This book has some parts that a younger student will need some help from a class mate or adult, but by the older ages the students should be able to read this story on their own. Also this book has a great moral story that students will enjoy and the teacher can use this book to teach life lessons. Also I liked the friendship aspect of this book and how good friends can change a person’s life. That is why I liked this book. ( )
  Ekelle8 | Feb 23, 2015 |
Charlotte's Web opens the door to a magical world, which a young girl named Fern finds herself a part of. Fern spends her free time with Wilbur the pig whom she loves and the other barn animals who play a large part in the life of Wilbur. ( )
  GiannaB.b1 | Feb 21, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,784,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible