Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (1952)

by E. B. White (Author)

1950s (89)

This is a story of a young girl who's family lives on a farm. When the piglets are born, when is the runt. When it comes time to kill the runt, she saves him and makes him the happiest pig alive. Wilbur lives with many farm animals who teach him lessons about life, especially Charlotte. Charlotte is a spider who lives near Wilbur who sings to him and gives him comfort when he needs it. The love throughout the story is strong between all the farm animals. This is realistic fiction.
  dluby17 | Apr 21, 2015 |
In the book charlottes web, by E.B. White; the writing makes you feel for a pig a rat and a spider. I guess you don’t feel for Templeton the rat that much. E.B. White choses all the right words to describe all the events. Like when Wilber is confused when he can’t figure out how is talking to him at twilight. He made me feel like I was there listening with Wilber. I recommend this book to people how like to be pulled into classic books. I liked this this book because the writing pules me in. ( )
  EliW6 | Apr 20, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for several reasons. I liked how the author and illustrator included illustrations even though it is a chapter book. Since chapter books are more detailed and packed with words, this can help readers visualize the story. I liked how the author created a spider that was helpful and friendly. Most people have fears or dislike spiders. This story gives spiders a different image. I also liked the descriptive detail in the story. For example, “The you would zoom upward into the sky, and look up at the clouds, and the rope would twist and you would twist and turn with the rope.” The author uses vivid verbs to help the reader paint a picture. I also like how each chapter has a title that gives the reader an idea of what is going to happen in the story. The big idea of the story is to appreciate life. ( )
  pnieme1 | Apr 19, 2015 |
I reread this book every few years and never get tired of it. Charlotte's Web is such a sweet, warm, cozy story of hope and friendship that it is really impossible to find something you don't enjoy. When I was growing up my friends watched the movie, but I always preferred the book because to me the best experience is reading this story for yourself. Some books you just bond with and this was one that really stayed with me. I still have my original copy and read it to this day. There is a reason this book is a classic and an award winner; you simply can't go wrong with it. ( )
  mirrani | Apr 19, 2015 |
One of my all time favorite children's chapter book. A pig and a spider find friendship an a unlikely setting. Sad ending, but it teaches children a lot about friend and more about life and death. My son and older daughter read this book in third grade and both loved it...and cried at the end! ( )
  hart0521 | Apr 17, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,742,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible