Charlotte's Web by E. B White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B White (Author), Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Member:Dasha.Casciero
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B White (Author)
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Edition: 1, 192 pages
Rating:**

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

Robin (5)
Read (15)

English (809)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (811)
I've always loved this book. ( )
  janmilusich | Apr 21, 2018 |
Charlotte's Web is classic novel about a pig, Wilbur, who is born the runt of his litter. With time and persistence, Wilbur becomes friends with all the fellow farm animals, including Charlotte, a spider. When Charlotte learns that Wilbur may soon be butchered she comes to the rescue and spins webs that each have special descriptions of Wilbur. The farmer decides to keep Wilbur and enters him into a contest at the local fair. Wilbur wins first place and feels his fate at the farm is secured. Unfortunately, he then learns that Charlotte is dying. With Charlotte's passing, she leaves behind an egg sack. Come spring, Wilbur then has an abundance of spider friends.

This book is a great resource to teach many things in the classroom... the meaning of true friendship, diversity, compassion, and life and death.

This book would be ideal for 4th-5th grade
  MeganMck | Apr 21, 2018 |
This book is about a little pig who is considered a runt and how a little girl and then a spider saved his life. I could use this book in my classroom to help students understand that even though someone may be different does not mean you can treat them any differently when they try to interact and become friends with you. Also, to help them understand that no matter what makes them different from other that there will always be a support system there for you, to help you overcome whatever it may be that you are going through. They can use a story impression to predict what the book may be about and at the end share what they have learned and add to their story impressions based off the new knowledge they have. ( )
  Mackenziesophia | Apr 17, 2018 |
This book is a great book that allows people to explore friendship, death, and love all through one story. It was a book that had an impact on me as a student and I know will have an impact on students as well. It would depend on the age group for me to use this book as a lesson in my classroom, if they were an older group, I would use this book as a lesson.
  taylorbeard29 | Apr 17, 2018 |
This is a great story of friendship. Wilbur is a pig that is doomed from the start. A farmer decides to kill Wilbur as his daughter Fern begs her dad to not kill him. The spider becomes Wilbur the pigs best friend and starts to make descriptive words in her webs about him for people to see and to persuade the farmer to let the pig live. This story teaches you about friendship, bravery and loss. ( )
  jkl900 | Apr 9, 2018 |

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DiCamillo, KateForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas, HazelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In Earth unworthy,
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

E. B. White's book CHARLOTTE’S WEB was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,572,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible