Charlotte's Web by E.b. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1980)

by E.b. White

Member:webaugur
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E.b. White
Info:Harper Trophy (1980), Paperback
Collections:Home Library, Your library
Tags:Children

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

Robin (5)
Read (15)

English (830)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (832)
This book is a classic and most of the kids that I went to school with have read this book as well. It is such an amazing and interesting book to read. Its about the friendship between Wilbur (pig) and Charlotte (spider). I believe that everyone should have a chance to read this book at some point. ( )
  ekarcz1 | Oct 16, 2018 |
This is a book about the unlikely friendship between Wilbur the pig and Charlotte the spider! Charlotte spins a special web that convinces everyone that Wilbur is special and saves his life.

This book is a classic that every kid should read! I love how many themes are in this book, there's so much you can take from it. Also as an adult that hasn't read this since I was a kid I think I interpreted things a little differently and got something different out of the story! I love the story of Wilbur & Charlotte's friendship and would recommend re-reading it if it's been a while!
  Hayleykeyser | Oct 10, 2018 |
This book is about a pig who is saved by a little girl, and then protected by a spider. The spider is able to spin a web that convinces everyone who sees that the pig is special. I love this book. It is a classic. I think this book could be used with kids age 7-10. The vocab is really strong too. ( )
  MorganneLloyd | Sep 27, 2018 |
story of Wilbur the pig and his friendship with Fern Arable, the little girl who adopts him, and his barnyard friends but most importantly, Charlotte the spider. Wilbur, the story's main character, is born the runt of a litter of pigs and thought too weak to live until Fern takes pity on him.
  aberlanga | Sep 19, 2018 |
This book is good for all ages. This book is a classic that every child should read at some point. It shows the unlikely friendship between a spider and a pig. This book can teach children about how a good friendship is good for them. ( )
  mnh98 | Sep 18, 2018 |

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DiCamillo, KateForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas, HazelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In Earth unworthy,
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

E. B. White's book CHARLOTTE’S WEB was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,551,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible