Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Member:shesinplainview
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

Recently added bylisger, BethWal94, pinballwizard, ecarlson2014, llknight327, kbuffum13, private library, BerryAveLibrary, AntT
Legacy LibrariesH.D.
1950s (45)

In this speculative fiction children's novel, a spider befriends a runt-of-the-litter pig, Wilbur. Their friendship grows when Charlotte decides she is going to help her friend from getting slaughtered. She builds her web with words that describe Wilbur, and all the people in the town think that Wilbur is a special pig. Wilbur then gets to go to the fair, and wins a special ribbon, which saved his life. All this work took a toll on Charlotte's life, and she eventually died, but not before leaving a nest of her children for Wilbur, so he would have friends!
  BethWal94 | Jan 25, 2015 |
This is a wonderful chapter book that shows friendship and love between friends. You learn how to love someone no matter what they look like.
  ecarlson2014 | Jan 25, 2015 |
This fictional novel is about a runt pig named Wilbur who life was saved first by Fern. He then becomes lonely in the barn but then he meets Charlotte who becomes his friend. Charlotte spins words into her web which save Wilbur's life once again. The ending of the story deals with death and moving on with new friendships developed by Wilbur. This would be a good read aloud for a third grade classroom.
  kbuffum13 | Jan 25, 2015 |
This is one of the most wonderful children's books of all time. It is amazing to me that it did not win the Newbery Award. Fabulous illustrations by Garth Williams. It is a treasure from my childhood and I love it still. ( )
  njcur | Jan 21, 2015 |
This is an excellent book about animals, the power of friendship, and loyalty. I might use this book as a lesson in being good friends to others, or an introduction to spiders, and other farm animals. ( )
  athena.j | Jan 20, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,066,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible