Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Member:shesinplainview
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

English (634)  Spanish (1)  All languages (635)
This book is written very child friendly. It contains elements of fantasy within it. The are relatable and they talk with personalities of actual people. It develops the main characters in the story really well. The story is about young and growing which allows students to connect to the book. The chapters are short for students to read and each chapter also contains illustrations for the reader. This book was banned in Kansas in 2006. It was said in by Dorrance Publishing "because talking animals are blasphemous and unnatural; passages about the spider dying were also criticized as being inappropriate subject matter for a children's book."
  CourtneyFritz93 | Sep 29, 2016 |
Charlotte's web is by far the best modern fantasy book for children. It is great for first or second graders. It gives children a chance to learn about farm animals in a cute and interesting way!

It teaches children that it's okay to be scared to do things alone. When Wilbur moved to Mr. Zuckerman's barn he was terrified and was scared to be out in the real world. However, Wilbur ends up finding friends, love, and wonder. Teaches children that change isn't always a bad thing. ( )
  mwatki5 | Sep 29, 2016 |
Charlotte's Web is a great book for teaching children empathy for all living things around us. I loved the humor of the animals and how relatable they were as far as their fear, desires, and dislikes. I loved the subtle message that maybe children and animals are actually smarter than adults. Children and animals in Charlotte's Web had a more open mind and were more in touch with nature. My favorite human character was Fern because of her big heart and her courage to be herself no matter what others, even her parents, thought of her. My favorite animal character was Charlotte because I related to her maternal and protective side towards Wilbur. This is a must-read for children and, in my opinion, especially adults. We sometimes need to be reminded that all living things are a treasure and should be treated as such. ( )
  mdinar2 | Sep 29, 2016 |
I loved this book for multiple reasons. The first reason is point of view in which the story is told. I loved the fact that all the animals had personalities and relationships with other animals. I thought Templeton's personality was the most amusing because he was just as rotten as the food he ate. Another reason I enjoyed this book was because of the message it portrayed. The main idea of the story was about the importance of friendship and loyalty. I think those lessons are important for young children to understand because their personalities are still developing. Charlotte saved Wilbur's life and expected nothing in return because that is what friends do. Charlotte and Wilbur are a great example of the true definition of friendship. ( )
  mbands4 | Sep 29, 2016 |
4 stars

Who doesn't love Charlotte's Web? ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In Earth unworthy,
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

5 2006

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,241,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible