Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Member:shesinplainview
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

animals (678) chapter book (280) children (430) children's (775) children's books (105) children's classics (93) children's fiction (207) children's literature (409) classic (521) classics (304) E.B. White (78) fantasy (435) farm (360) farm animals (86) farm life (88) fiction (1,429) friendship (467) juvenile (122) juvenile fiction (96) kids (97) literature (102) Newbery (180) Newbery Honor (209) novel (118) own (81) pigs (465) read (225) spiders (460) talking animals (95) young adult (130)

This is the story of WIlbur, a little runt piglet, and Charlotte, the spider who saves his life. This story is one of adversity, overcoming what is the norm, especially when you don't fit into the norm. ( )
  mariah21 | Apr 23, 2014 |
Summary:
Charlotte's Web is a easy to read chapter book about a pig named Wilbur who is the runt of his litter and is due to be killed until he is saved by the farmer's young daughter, Fern. She promises to raise him herself and care for him. She does just that until he is too big to be kept as her pet any longer and he is sold to her uncle who lives on the farm next door. Fern goes and visits Wilbur and the other animals in the barn on a daily basis. Wilbur is a very friendly pig who ends up changing the mood and atmosphere of the barn by befriending a spider named Charlotte. Wilbur eventually finds out that he is still doomed to be killed and is beside himself until Charlotte goes to great lengths to ensure he is saved through writing wonderful things about him in her web, until the farmer wins a prize for Wilbur and decides to spare him and let him live out his days on the farm. The ending is sad because Charlotte dies and leaves behind her egg sack of babies, 3 of which decide to stick around the barn after they hatch. However, what Charlotte has done for Wilbur has brought the animals together and they have become friends rather then just living in the barn together.

Personal Reaction:
This is one of my family's favorite books. We have read it together many times and it never gets old. It is a very good book, that will be enjoyed by children of all ages and adults alike.

Classroom Extensions:
1. This book can be used to teach children about friendship, would be great to use this book to start a discussion on the topic after reading it.
2. This book can be used to teach children about self esteem, would be a great book to use for journal writing.
3. This book could be used to teach children about farms and the farm animals.
4. I could have children draw their favorite character from the story and explain why they chose them. ( )
  AngelaBates | Apr 23, 2014 |
Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White is a wonderful story. The story starts out with an eight year old farm girl Fern Arable stops her father from killing a piglet who has been labeled the runt of the litter. The little pig, whom the girl names Wilbur, becomes the story. Eventually he will be befriended by Charlotte, the wise and loving spider mentioned in the book's title.
White creates a sort of modern animal fable in which his barnyard characters can speak both with each other and with Fern. The barn is populated with many neat characters. Special mention should be made of Templeton the rat. Sneaky and often nasty, but also curiously sympathetic. Charlotte is a truly remarkable character. Charlotte's Web is a book my kids and I still love to read and I believe, will always be a treasured classic. ( )
  melthompson | Apr 23, 2014 |
Summary: A pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte who learns Wilbur is doomed to be the next Christmas ham. As Wilbur falls into a state of panic, Charlotte comes up with a plan to save Wilbur from his horrible fate.

Personal reaction: Charlotte's Web is an excellent book for both children and adults to read. It is full of lessons that anyone can learn from or at least be reminded of. It has many interesting characters that anyone can relate to. It's main topics are about friendship, time, life and death itself.

Classroom extension ideas:
1. Have younger students journal their thoughts after each chapter of the book
2. Have students create their own personality web by choosing one trait they believe is a strength.
  nwoodley | Apr 21, 2014 |
OMG!!! One of my favorite books as a child, and one of my favorite movies. Wilbur the baby pig is brought into the house by his beloved Fern, then when he gets big enough to be a pig, he is taken to her uncle's farm to live. The other farm animals upset him because they tell him that the only reason he's there is that he will be killed & eaten when he's big enough, & poor Wilbur freaks out. He makes friends with the beautiful spider Charlotte, who launches a campaign to save Wilbur's life with her miraculous web writing skills with the assistance of Templeton the rat, who, mercenary thing that he is, has to be bribed & bullied into bringing back scraps of paper with words for Charlotte to write. As Wilbur becomes famous, & he's entered in the Fair, he takes Charlotte's egg case with him to care for her future children after Charlotte's death. After the fair, he is assured a home for the rest of his life, as by then he is Zuckerman's Famous Pig! ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible