Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason is because of the language. I thought the way the author talked about the setting and described everything in the book made the reader feel like they were actually living it. In one the chapters, the author described Charlotte’s web as truly a thing of beauty and how it was decorated with tiny beads of water. He made the reader look at a spider web different than just scary and gross. Another reason why I liked this book was because of the character. Each character had their own personality even though most of them were animals. While reading the story, you could tell Charlotte was the caring friend while Wilbur was very humble. I think the main idea of the story was friendship. Throughout the book you got to see the friendship between all the animals, Fern and Wilbur and mostly between Charlotte and Wilbur. ( )
  athomp33 | Sep 23, 2015 |
I read this chapter book when I was a child and reading it again as an adult gives you a whole new outlook. I loved this book and how much you gain love for spiders and pigs that you didn't have before. This children chapter book is a tear jerker and really tugs on your heart. This book pushes readers to see what true friendship is all about. One quote I admired the most was "It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both." The writer really gets you engaged in whats going to happen next in the story that you won't want to put it down. When you read things like a spider writing words like "terrific" and "some pig" in a web you are eager to find out what's going to happen next. This is one of the best children chapter books I've ever read. ( )
  adepuy1 | Sep 23, 2015 |
Summary: This story is about a little pig who was born a runt, which are to no use to the farmers. The farmer decides he is going to kill the little pig until his daughter Fern steps in. She begs him to let her keep the baby and raise it on her own. She names him Wilbur and the rest of the story tells about all the friends he makes on the farm such as a spider named Charlotte who ends up saving his life with her ability to make beautiful webs.

Personal experience: I loved this book as child, I have always had a big heart for animals so I know I would have tried to save Wilbur just like Fern. Growing up raising and show pigs and taking them to the state fair, like they did in this story, was also something I did through junior high and high school so I also relate to that part.

Classroom Ideas: We will do arts and crafts making our own spider webs with yarn and paper plates with holes in them.
  Kelsie_Murphy | Sep 23, 2015 |
This book is about a little girl named Fern, who grew up on a farm, one day the farmer got a delivery or pigs and one little weak one was the runt. Fern liked that little runt she tried to stop her father from killing it, once she stopped the farmer for killing the little runt, she promised that she will take car of him until he is old enough.After about 2 months he started to grow big she named him Wilbur. He got so pig that the farmer sold him to a good friend of his who was also a farmer and signed him up for the competition he has made some friends named Charlotte the spider, tempelton the rat and, many more charlotte is about to have children and then once Wilbur has won the competition he goes back to tell charlotte but finds out she passed away.
lizzy ( )
  LizzyW.Gl | Sep 22, 2015 |
It is one of my most beloved books of all time. The major theme of the book is friendship. The whole book is about friendship. Fern befriends a pig, Wilbur. Wilbur befriends a bunch of farm animals and also a spider. This story shows the struggles that come with friendship. Readers of the book will see that it is sometimes difficult to first make friends and that sometimes people are made fun of for being different. When Wilbur tries to play with different farm animals he is shut down. When he asks the goose to play the goose says, “Sorry,sorry,sorry. I’m sitting on my eggs… I have to stay right here.”(pg 28) Wilbur also asks a lamb to play and the lamb responds with, “Oh, be quiet! Go play by yourself! I don’t play with pigs.” (pg 28) Finally Wilbur asks Templeton the rat to play and Templeton says, “Play? I hardly know the meaning of the word.” (pg 29) This part of the story makes the reader feel upset for Wilbur. Wilbur is nice and kind and just wants to make friends. This shows the making friendships can be a struggle. One friend Wilbur does make however, is Charlotte. Charlotte is a spider who lives in the top corner of the barn. She is very wise and observant. She ends up saving Wilbur’s life. The Title on the book is “Charlotte’s Web”, but the protagonist of the book is Wilbur. Her web gives Wilbur life. People come from all over to see the barn, the pig, and the web. The attention the barn receives saves Wilbur from being slaughtered.
E.B White wrote this book to show what true friendships are. It teaches readers to love and care for their friends. It also shows the sacrifices that may need to be made in friendships. It also shows the diversity of friendships. Your friends do not need to look exactly like you to be your friends. ( )
  fmccas1 | Sep 22, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr
This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,749,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible