Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Member:shesinplainview
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

Recently added bykrausch, lara.elio, private library, christih, olongbourn, Tacoma.Red, destinyisntfree, cattylj
Legacy LibrariesH.D.
1950s (88)

This novel is about a young girl named Fern Avery who saves the runt pig from an untimely death and names him Wilbur. Wilbur is sent to live at her Uncle Zuckerman’s farm and makes many friends including a spider named Charlotte. The two become best friends and help each other fight their fate.
I liked Charlotte’s Web for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that is a well written story it was perfect for students ages six through twelve. This book has some parts that a younger student will need some help from a class mate or adult, but by the older ages the students should be able to read this story on their own. Also this book has a great moral story that students will enjoy and the teacher can use this book to teach life lessons. Also I liked the friendship aspect of this book and how good friends can change a person’s life. That is why I liked this book. ( )
  Ekelle8 | Feb 23, 2015 |
Charlotte's Web opens the door to a magical world, which a young girl named Fern finds herself a part of. Fern spends her free time with Wilbur the pig whom she loves and the other barn animals who play a large part in the life of Wilbur. ( )
  GiannaB.b1 | Feb 21, 2015 |
Fern spends her free time with Wilbur the pig who she loves and the other barn animals who play a large part in the life of Wilbur.Fern asked father to keep Wilbur as a farm animal and not send him off because he was a runt. Her father lets her and that is when he meets Charlotte the spider and some other new friends on the farm. Wilbur becomes fomous for helping Charlotte with her words in her webs.
My personal reaction to this story is that you should always stay by your friends and help them in a time of need. Also working together to get whatever needs done.
Classroom Extensions- You can make each farm animal in the story with different things you find outside.
  b.duggins13 | Feb 10, 2015 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, the plot was well developed and the climax was great. In the back of your mind, you wonder if Wilbur will be killed by his owner throughout the book, but you also might wonder if Wilbur will be a winner or not at the contest. Second, I thought the characters were realistic. Fern’s father originally wanted to kill Wilbur, but Fern is a young, innocent girl who wants to keep the pig. Children seem to find a connection with animals and don’t want them to die. The message of the story is you can find friends in different shapes and sizes and it is important to have friends in life. ( )
  moaks1 | Feb 9, 2015 |
My memories of this are vague but I know I enjoyed it when our teacher read it to us (just like an audiobook) when I was aged 7-9. Thus, I'll give it four stars.

I've added in the details below that I "read" this in 1984, though it could've been a year either way. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 5, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,727,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible