Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Member:shesinplainview
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

English (614)  Spanish (1)  All languages (615)
A timeless and beautiful story about friendship. This novel has well developed characters with a plot that is easy to follow for young readers. This book shares so many important life themes such as live, friendship, trust, pain, and time. This book is a classic and always will be.
  katiegotur | Aug 8, 2016 |
GR: R
GL: 4.4
DRA: 40
Lexile: 680L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 4, 2016 |
Summary:
This story is a about a pig named Wilbur who is the runt of his family. He was to be sold off at an action, but was saved when he made an unlikely friend, a spider named Charlotte. Charlotte continuously describes Wilbur and dazzles the crowd with her beautiful webs until Wilbur is saved.

Reaction: One of my favorite stories and still is because of its exciting vocabulary and sweet characters.

Extensions:
1. Explore the anatomy of insects.
2. Pick out the vocabulary words that are harder and find definitions and synonyms.
  FrancisWills | Jul 25, 2016 |
Summary: This story tells a great story of friendship. It tells how a spider saves the life of a pig at a farm because he was the runt of the liter and was going to be slaughtered. The spider later dies and then the pig guards her eggs until they could be born and live on in honor of her. This is a great children's story.
Personal Reaction: I loved reading this. I have read this many times and I loved reading it to my daughter. The author approached the ending scene so well to show children that life ends but it was beautifully written.
Classroom Extension: One classroom extension I would use for this book would be a coloring page of farm animals. Another extension I would do would have the children write in their daily journal about friendship and what it means to them and what they learned from reading the book. If there was a lot of extra time I would allow the students to watch the movie. ( )
  CherokeeDavies | Jul 25, 2016 |
So happy to find this audiobook version read by E.B. White. You wouldn't think anything could make Charlotte's Web any more perfect but this did. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In Earth unworthy,
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

5 1973

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,362,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible