Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

English (641)  Spanish (1)  All languages (642)
A bright, humble little pig who is admired by a small little spider in which they just want to be friends. It is a way to engage students in developing a friendship that might not have ever been expected. Another focus was on the love a little girl had for Wilbur the pig when he was burned and she saved him from danger. ( )
  LaurenSchifter | Oct 18, 2016 |
This book is a great entertaining book for students. It is an easy read for grades like fifth grade to read in class. This is also a great book in which children enjoy reading on their own. They love hearing the view of the animals in the book. ( )
  haleyr03 | Oct 16, 2016 |
I have enjoyed this book ever since I was a kid. One reason I really enjoyed this book reading it at an older age was the different vocabulary. Reading the book again I have noticed that there is some difficult vocabulary that I probably didn’t understand when I was younger. For example, the word runt. I did not know what a runt actually was when I was younger. I just thought it was another word for pig. Also the development of the characters was another great part of this book. The author does a great job at creating the characters and making it easy for the audience to relate. For example, when Fern’s dad tries to kill Wilbur for being a runt, she fights the ax out of her dad’s hand. This part of the story showed the reader tons of different things about Fern’s character. It showed her bravery and compassion about that little pig. Overall this was a great book and could teach children many different lessons. I think the most important lessons it teaches readers is about friendship, loyalty, and growing up. ( )
  mlambe12 | Oct 12, 2016 |
I love this story because of the meaning behind it regarding friendship and love. I'm still confused behind the reasoning of it being banned. I think it is a great, well written story. This could be read to any elementary aged child. It does discuss death, but it still has a happy ending.
  kmbate8772 | Oct 12, 2016 |
Charlotte's Web is an endearing tale about a friendship between a pig and a spider. Wilbur was born as the runt of the litter and is almost killed by that fact. Fern manages to convince her father to spare the pig and names him Wilbur. As Wilbur grew up, Fern moves him to her uncle's farm across the street. Wilbur is initially not well received by the other farm animals until a spider named Charlotte introduces herself and becomes his friend. With growing worries about Wilbur being slaughtered before winter, Charlotte decides to save Wilbur by writing the words "some pig" on her web in order to raise Wilbur's fame. While effective at first, the novelty wears off and Wilbur is again in peril. Charlotte now has to come up with a new word to better encompass Wilbur's image. At the end, she manages to write "humble" at the state fair where Wilbur was competing for a blue ribbon. After attaining his medal, Wilbur says his final goodbyes to Charlotte before she passes away and manages to bring her egg sac back to the barn. It is during the spring that Wilbur introduces himself to Charlotte's three daughters. I personally liked this book because of how beautifully written the story is. The characters, dialogue, interactions, and theme of the story are all masterfully conveyed through White's writing. Even at twenty one years, the theme of the story hits me even harder than when I read it back as a kid. A good activity for this book could be to let children think of a word that represents themselves. After they have thought up their word, they can create their own "web" using yarn. After, they can write about why they chose their particular word. ( )
  wxv002 | Oct 11, 2016 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr
This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
Charlotte the spider
Saves Wilbur by inventing
Viral marketing.
In Earth unworthy,
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

5 2012

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,716,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible