Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Member:shesinplainview
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

Recently added byMaggiemorris, mamamrl, ERichardson, Henbaben
Legacy LibrariesH.D.
1950s (116)

This brings me back to my childhood. One of my absolute favorites growing up as a child. ( )
  NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |
This novel is one that I really enjoyed in my childhood and would definitely bring into the classroom. There are amazing life lessons of working together and being true to yourself. A spider named Charlotte works with other farm animals to help save Wilbur the pig. By working together, Wilbur lives out a full life and is never killed. There is a general message of positivity and acceptance which is important to teach young readers.
  akern3 | May 18, 2015 |
Love this book. A great book to create a unit on. Incorporates many common core standards. Great book to do character studies on and character relationships.
  NiinaMariie | May 11, 2015 |
This positive engaging book is a book that children if all ages will be able to get something out if it. After re reading this book I was amazing by the messages behind the words. A spider named Charlotte is trying to get Wilbur the pig into a showcase, winning the farmer a prize. So charolettes plan is to web positive words such as radiant and ravishing I order to help Wilbur. This adorable tale is a message to the readers that with determination and support you are able to accomplish anything. Another message I received by re reading this novel is that positivity is key to accomplishment. I would assign this reading to a group of fourth graders because I feel as though they will babel to understand the somewhat large words in the text. Kindness of a stranger is also a huge lesson in this text. ( )
  mbabst | May 4, 2015 |
Summary: This story follows Wilbur the pig and his friend Charlotte, the spider who tries to make Wilbur seem like an extremely special pig so they do not sell him or kill him. She spins words on her web and it amazed the public.

Personal connection: I liked this story growing up but was never too crazy about it.

Class use: Ask students which animal they think they are most like and why? ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,220,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible