Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Member:shesinplainview
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

1950s (118)

English (592)  Spanish (1)  All languages (593)
I love Charlotte's Web! I think it is a wonderful book to use in the classroom to teach many subject; from personification, to using it for modern fantasy. I would use this book as a read loud for a class of 4th graders because the lexile is high enough to be challenging but yet at a good range to be reading it with help. ( )
  rachelpelston | Apr 29, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading Charlotte's Web. The first reason I liked reading this book was because of the characters. Wilbur, was supposed to be killed and his life was in danger many times throughout the story, so it was interesting to watch him escape his fate and grow into a little pig who didn't end up being so little. Another character I liked was Charlotte. Charlotte was a great friend to Wilbur and I liked how she helped save Wilbur by sacrificing herself for him at the fair. The next reason I liked reading this story was because of the plot. Usually, most children's stories have happy endings, but this story ended with a twist. Charlotte ended up dying in the end, which I was not expecting to happen. I liked that the story ended with a surprise, even though it was not the happiest one. The main idea of this story is friendship and what it means to be a true friend. Charlotte made sure that she was able to save Wilbur, even though it ended up killing her in the end. ( )
  oliviaceresi | Apr 28, 2016 |
Charlotte's Web is a great tool for discussing sustainability with students. The story follows the lives of farm animals and a young girl. In a lesson the teacher could investigate with students how modern farming (meat factories etc.) operate. Students can identify reasons as to why they feel this is good or bad for the environment after the teacher explores with students the impact of modern 'farming'. This activity would be aimed at higher grades - 4-6. ( )
  Isaacwinton | Apr 26, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. First, this book included animals that were personified. Students will enjoy relating to the pig and other animals in the story. Next, I enjoyed the friendship that grew in this story. Students will be able to see that the most unexpected friends can be the best of friends. Lastly, I loved how Wilbur being the runt overcame his adversity. The main idea of this story is that friendships can be formed between two 'people' that were the least likely to be friends. It also shows that friendship does not discriminate, everyone can be friends with everyone no matter their background.
  JessicaSparacino | Apr 25, 2016 |
This book is a classic tale of true friendship. The author walks us though the life of "some pig" and his friendship with a barn spider. Their friendship is a great example of how others can speak into our lives and build self-worth. Together they learn the importance of creatures great and small. ( )
  Erin_Holte | Apr 24, 2016 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In Earth unworthy,
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

5 1919

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible