Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

16,740None105 (4.19)341
Member:shesinplainview
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

Recently added byprivate library, nwoodley, Kirstie_Innes-Will, mhmr, smitha_1988, Y2Ash
Legacy LibrariesH.D.
animals (678) chapter book (280) children (430) children's (775) children's books (105) children's classics (93) children's fiction (207) children's literature (409) classic (521) classics (304) E.B. White (78) fantasy (435) farm (360) farm animals (86) farm life (88) fiction (1,429) friendship (467) juvenile (122) juvenile fiction (96) kids (97) literature (102) Newbery (180) Newbery Honor (209) novel (118) own (81) pigs (465) read (225) spiders (460) talking animals (95) young adult (130)

OMG!!! One of my favorite books as a child, and one of my favorite movies. Wilbur the baby pig is brought into the house by his beloved Fern, then when he gets big enough to be a pig, he is taken to her uncle's farm to live. The other farm animals upset him because they tell him that the only reason he's there is that he will be killed & eaten when he's big enough, & poor Wilbur freaks out. He makes friends with the beautiful spider Charlotte, who launches a campaign to save Wilbur's life with her miraculous web writing skills with the assistance of Templeton the rat, who, mercenary thing that he is, has to be bribed & bullied into bringing back scraps of paper with words for Charlotte to write. As Wilbur becomes famous, & he's entered in the Fair, he takes Charlotte's egg case with him to care for her future children after Charlotte's death. After the fair, he is assured a home for the rest of his life, as by then he is Zuckerman's Famous Pig! ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
No matter your age, who doesn't love Charlotte's Web? This amazing story of a pig, his owner, and a spider never seems to get old or tiring. This book is a perfect addition to any chapter book selection in your library. It teaches children about friendship, love, and losing someone you care a lot about. It could be used in a lesson to teach children about the full cycle of life if they have recently lost a loved one (befriending someone, loving them, and unfortunately losing them to old age). The illustrations although sketched in black and white, are detailed and go perfectly with the story. I loved how happy Fern made Wilbur after saving him from death because he was the runt. "Every day was a happy day, and every night was peaceful." (11). This is one of my all-time favorite books. The main message in this story is to value your true friendship and never take a single minute of it for granted. ( )
  jjones58 | Apr 10, 2014 |
Get Wilbur a Xanax. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Fern befriends a runt pig she names Wilbur, until he is old enough to live in her Uncle's barn. Wilbur then makes friend with a spider named Charlotte. Charlotte makes words in her webs that make the farmers think twice before selling him after the fair, after all, he is 'some pig'.
  deannachambers | Mar 16, 2014 |
The story of Fern Arable, her beloved pet pig, and the most extraordinary spider are brought to life in this audiobook telling of a classic story. At 3.5 hours long, this audiobook is captivating and engaging.
  emmalune | Mar 13, 2014 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible