Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)

Member:shesinplainview
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator), Rosemary Wells (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:American Classics, Childrens

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

English (553)  Spanish (1)  All languages (554)
I can't believe I had never read this book! Such a sweet story, almost makes me like spiders. .. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
One of my favorite children's books... it has so many wise life lessons within it. Always makes me smile at the wisdom that children (an animals) possess :) ( )
  GreenLightGirl | Feb 5, 2016 |
This book is about a pig named Wilbur. He was the runt of the litter. saves his life and cares for him. Wilbur feels lonely without any animal friends. He meets an extraordinary spider named Charlotte. The animals tell him that the farmer is going to slaughter him soon. Charlotte does everything in her power to save Wilbur. She weaves words onto her web like "Terrific pig." Soon Wilbur is a star and travels to the fair. No one would kill such a special pig. GENRE: fantasy. USE: to teach about friendship and loyalty
  Adrinnon | Feb 2, 2016 |
I really liked the characters in this book. They felt really strong and made me feel like they could really happen. I liked that they all felt multiple emotions, and felt much more rounded than flat. Another thing I like about this book is it deals with harder subjects like dying without fluffing over it too much. It introduces things to children in a way that helps them understand a little but is still sad. I also liked the way the setting was described without being too detailed and taking 3 pages to set the scene.
  asukonik | Jan 27, 2016 |
Charlotte's Web follows the story of Wilbur, a pig who wants to survive the winter and gets some help from Charlotte the spider. Charlotte befriends Wilbur and writes positive words about him in her web to gain attention and hopefully make his owners realize he is a spectacular pig. While they are ultimately successful, Wilbur loses Charlotte but sees her live on through her children. Wilbur realizes the true meaning of friendship from Charlotte. This book largely takes place on a farm with other animals, many of them mean to Wilbur. He lives in his own pen where Charlotte visits him. Wilbur is also briefly at the state fair and Fern's house, the girl that originally saved him. I would recommend this book to students in 3rd-5th grade, and I would use it to analyze the themes of the book, including friendship and sacrifice. I think this book is great to start examining deeper or more abstract literary themes. This is a fantasy novel because Wilbur talks to the other animals and they talk back. Fern can also seem to understand them. ( )
  jbohall14 | Jan 27, 2016 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In Earth unworthy,
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,049,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible