Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1952)

by E. B. White

Member:Boeree-Kline
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Harper & Row Publishers, Inc. (1952), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 184 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

Overall, I think that Charlotte's web is a great book that is suitable for many different age groups. For younger children, this is a book that could be read to them because of the difficult vocabulary. For example, there were words like gorge and carousing that a young child might not be able to understand. With such a rich vocabulary in this book, this could create a challenge for children that are older. Also, this book teaches a few lessons. For example, it gives children the idea about loyalty and what it takes to be a good friend. The relationship that Charlotte and Wilbur developed let's children know that it is okay to be friends with people that are different than them. Their relationship also teaches children that love can come in many different ways and can take place in many different relationships. This book gives lessons indirectly in the story. This
  abenne6 | Sep 25, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. One reason I really liked this book was for the plot. I thought that the way the story developed and showed Charlotte and Wilbur's growing friendship made it that much more powerful. For example, in the beginning of the book, Charlotte and Wilbur kind of talk and she says she'll be his friend, but there isn't much depth to their friendship. Towards the end of the book, Charlotte essentially uses her last bit of strength to write one last word in her web in order to save Wilbur's life. This shows the drastic growth of their friendship. Another reason I liked this book was for the characters. Each character had their own personality that brought a lot to the overall story. For example, although Templeton the rat wasn't one of the biggest characters in the book, his selfish, sassy personality made the story more entertaining. Overall, I think that the big message of this book is the meaning and value of true friendship. ( )
  akwon3 | Sep 24, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is an amazing book. I have never read of seen Charlotte's Web so I didn't know what to expect. To be honest, it was an emotional roller coaster, but overall it was really good.

One reason why I liked this book was because of the characters. Although the story's main characters were animals, it was quite easy to forget that in a realistic sense, they were actually animals. With these animals personified, it was easy to get into the book and understand that physically they were animals, but in the inside they had feelings, were smart, and so on like humans. It was quite believable. To be more specific, there were parts of the book where Wilbur would cry because he didn't want to be killed for food. Even though it was not realistic, to a young reader, it would be reasonable and quite believable that a pig would cry.

Another reason why I liked this book was because of language. The author was very clear on the emotions of the characters and the description of the settings. Emotionally, readers are able to understand how the character would feel, even though they are animals. Also, the descriptive words used for the setting and season allows the reader to feel as though they are there, feeling the "warm draft of rising air."

I believe that the purpose of this book is to show the loyalty of friendship. Throughout the book Charlotte does so many things to help make sure that Wilbur doesn't die. Even until her very last breath. To thank her and show his loyalty, Wilbur in return takes care of her egg sac, watching it every single day. ( )
  epark6 | Sep 24, 2014 |
So I've finally instituted a system for the bedtime story. First, I reorganized my bookshelves and created a to-read shelf. (Which I've wanted forever -- hooray!) Then, I dedicated a portion of that shelf to Jefferson's bedtime stories. When we finish a book, he gets to pick a new book from that section. So he gets some control, but I, of course, control what books are on that section. And bedtime storytime is only for these book, which we read from beginning to end. If he wants me to read something else, it has to be at some other tim. I'm very happy with the system for now.

Charlotte's Web is the first book from the new to-read shelf. I didn't know that he'd already seen the movie, and the moment that he realized that it was the same story about a pig and a talking spider was pretty funny. That moment also absolved me of any guilt I was feeling for introducing him to such a sad story.

This book lends itself well to reading aloud, and it was a pleasure to share such a beloved book from my childhood with Jefferson. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Summary:
This story is about a little girl who loved animals. She rescues a pig that her father was about to shoot because it was a runt. she named him Wilbur. H e becomes friends with a spider in the barn and she changes his life.

Personal Reaction:
I loved when we read Charlottes Web in elementary. It is such a classic story to read to young kids.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom we could use clear glue and make our own web. We wouldn't be able to see it but we could feel the web we made.
2. We could also cut out pigs and spiders and make a picture with both. ( )
  christyb2020 | Sep 17, 2014 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,888,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible