Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1952)

by E. B. White

Member:Boeree-Kline
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Harper & Row Publishers, Inc. (1952), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 184 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

Recently added bymurphyrules, tfletch, jerenda, Pages_Aplenty
Legacy LibrariesH.D.
1950s (99)

Probably my all-time favorite book EVER!
  MsCF | Nov 20, 2014 |
Charlotte's Web (Trophy Newbery) by E. B. White is a Newberry Award winning book. The book is about a pig named Wilbur born the runt of his liter at Zuckerman's farm. The farmers daughter, Fern and Charlotte, a spider, have feelings of compassion and empathy and want to save Wilbur from ending up on a dinner table. The story depicts Charlotte arousing curiosity about Wilbur, by spinning fateful words in her web such as "some pig" or "humble" This create some stir and Wilbur is ultimately saved.

I have enjoyed this classic for years. First as a book and then as a animation on television. It will continue to encourage the imaginations of generations to come.

Story extenders can be a farm or spider theme. Discussing nutrition and where our foods come from. the sand area can be turned to a potting/planting area. The children can plant seeds, and even grow a salad. Math/science activities can revolve around spiders and counting to eight. Spinning a web story using yarn passed from child to child the children can tell there favorite farm food. Old McDonald can be the song of the week. ( )
  imamarie | Nov 11, 2014 |
"Charlotte's Web" is one of my favorite children's chapter books and one I truly enjoy reading. One reason I enjoyed the book was because of the relatable, well-developed characters. Although the characters are animals, the author did a great job of personifying them and portraying the emotions they felt throughout the story. For example, Wilbur portrays lots of emotion as he becomes upset and cries in fear that he will be slaughtered for food. Although Wilbur is an animal, his emotions are clearly shown and allows the reader to sense his fear and sadness as if he were human. Another reason I enjoyed this book was because of the well written and well developed plot, which focused on friendship. In the beginning of the story, Charlotte and Wilbur meet; Charlotte tells Wilbur she will be his friend, but the two are more like acquaintances. By the end of the book, Charlotte and Wilbur's friendship grows so strong that she uses her last bit of energy to weave a word on the barn in attempt to save Wilbur. This shows how their friendship strengthened and progressed as the story developed. The big idea of this story is to always be a loyal friend and always recognize and value a true friend. ( )
  KaraHankins | Nov 10, 2014 |
Summary:
Charlotte's Web is a heartwarming story about a pig, Wilbur, who is saved from death at birth by Fern. Fern then adopts the pig as a pet. Then he is sold to her uncle who intends to slaughter him. Charlotte, a spider, uses her web weaving skills to write words above the pig. This draws much attention to the pig and the uncle can not slaughter him, but instead takes Wilbur to the State fair. The spider seems to progressively lose strength. Then she leaves a sac with Wilbur and leaves. The sac is her most precious gift, her hundreds of babies.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed this book because, although I have a personal aversion to pigs due to an experience as a child, I love how the pig is personified as a dog while the charge of Fern. I also enjoyed this book because of my childhood memories of reading this book and watching the movie and singing the song to learn how to spell Mississippi.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) We could journal about what the baby spiders did after they floated away. They could draw their own spider and journal about what they grew up to be. This could spark a career focused discussion and the life cycle.
2) In an older class we could study the reproduction of the spider and find out why spiders reproduce so many babies at one time.
3) In a Kindergarten class if we read throughout a week or so and have the kids identify the sounds that all of the animals make
  yourfavhannah | Nov 5, 2014 |
Charlotte's Web was a good book and had a good base to it. The plot was decent and had a good direction that it took and lead to a good development. The clear cause and effect of the story is very visible when Charlotte makes the web and saves Wilbur from being killed for food. Another thing I really liked was the style of word choice that is present in the book. They have a tough topic of death that they are conveying about the book and do so at a child friendly language and manage to keep it simple. ( )
  mduval7 | Nov 2, 2014 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,037,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible