Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1952)

by E. B. White

17,82046797 (4.19)372
Member:Boeree-Kline
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Harper & Row Publishers, Inc. (1952), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 184 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

1950s (46)

I love this book. It teaches important life lessons about friendship, and loyalty. This fiction book has great vocabulary, and will stretch the average youth reader. I highly recommend this book, because it addresses real-life situations. ( )
  NatalieCJones | Jan 27, 2015 |
Charlotte's Web is an incredible book about a young girl Fern who saves the runt of the litter Wilbur. Throughout the story Wilbur goes through many transitions and develops a friendship with the barn spider, Charlotte. One day when Wilbur finds out he is going to be Christmas dinner, Charlotte promises that she will stop that from happening. Through her creativity, and loyalty Charlotte writes words into her webs in order to save Wilbur's life. This book is a fictional novel and could be a great tool when discussing friendship within the classroom. ( )
  Ebarclift13 | Jan 27, 2015 |
Charlotte's Web was a wonderful fairy tale! The ending was sad, but it was a great read about friendship. I'm not sure how I could incorporate this into classroom read-alouds though.
  jesswatters | Jan 27, 2015 |
I really liked reading this book. I remember the story from when I was little but I dont think I have ever read the book fully. It is a great written book that really expresses the imagination and is very easy to relate to. ( )
  kfrost32 | Jan 27, 2015 |
This fictional children's novel tells the story of a young pig who was saved by a little girl. She cared and nurtured him until he was sold to a farm. Then he goes through his life, trying to avoid being killed. He meets a wise Spider who helps him. ( )
  BayleeWestrick | Jan 26, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,137,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible