Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1952)

by E. B. White

Member:Boeree-Kline
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Harper & Row Publishers, Inc. (1952), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 184 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

Recently added byalanbuffington, tlofgreen, quietcore, MissDemain, ElizabethPreuss, kmdyal, dhani87, Cordeliae, private library, jsschrstrcks
Legacy LibrariesH.D.

Pretty much perfect in my opinion. Omniscient, but intimate. Tender and fierce. All about death but full of life. As true as they come. Great lessons on how to love. ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
Glad it was required: I cried and I loved it. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Summary: This book is about a friendship of a spider and a pig, and the love they share for fern.

My reaction: I don't know anyone who wouldn't love this book. Really gets your attention. Great book about friendship, being little, and also shows some new vocabulary. CLASSIC!

Classroom:
1.) Make webs, with words in them from string.
2.) Talk about some exciting new vocabulary form this book.
  Shelbymac2 | Jul 22, 2015 |
Charlotte's web is a story about a little girl who saves a runt pig. The pig grows up to be a great show animal, but his life is still in danger once he gets big enough. However, he makes friends with a spider who writes words in her webs so that his owners will think he is special and won't hurt him. Her children carry the tradition on.

I always loved this great tale of friendship and when I buy books for cousins, this is always one of them.

1. Children can be asked to make their own 'web' with their favorite self-describing adjective.
2. Children can be asked to evaluate their own friendships and compare that to Charlotte and Wilbur's
  vhein | Jul 15, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,149,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible