Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1952)

by E. B. White

Member:Boeree-Kline
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Harper & Row Publishers, Inc. (1952), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 184 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

1950s (89)

This has always been, and will always be one of my absolute favorite stories. This is the same copy I had as a child, and I hope it will always be with me.

I love this book, and I love the animated film version (haven't seen the live-action movie). I really don't know what else to say other than you're truly missing out if you haven't read Charlotte's Web.

Even after all these years, the ending still gets me. Every time. But then, I always did relate to Wilbur. Still do. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Apr 14, 2015 |
Charlotte's Web is one book I could read over and over, year after year. And that I do! This is a selection I read aloud to my 2nd grade students each year. This year it made of the perfect pairing to a compare and contrast lesson. We first heard the story, then watched the 2006 live action film. Students were quick to note differences in the story line, which were few, but namely differences in characters' personalities and involvement in the story.
  kdjones9 | Apr 12, 2015 |
Simply a classic! I remember reading this book in grade school along with seeing it (on reel-to-reel) a few times "back in the day". We are currently reading this one to our son at home & he absolutely loves it! Farm living and the cycle of life are two topics within the story. The story revolves around, Wilbur, a runt piglet who was raised by a little girl named Fern. the other farm animals do not take to kindly to Wilbur, but he does find a friend in a spider named, Charlotte. Charlotte helps save Wilbur from slaughter by writing messages in here web. Charlotte passes after laying eggs, but her offspring keep Wilbur company for years to come. ( )
  shane54 | Mar 30, 2015 |
I liked this book for a number of reasons. The first reason I liked it is because of the point of view. The book is written from an outside perspective so there is not just the thoughts and ideas of one character. The reader knows what Charlotte is doing even when Wilbur was sleeping because of the third person point of view. I think that third person was a good point of view for this book because the reader was able to see what was happening in all of the character's lives. The second reason I like this book is because of the characters. Each of the main characters were well developed. Wilbur becomes a strong and confident pig by the end of the book which is a change from the shy and afraid personality he had in the beginning. Even with all of the fame he got, Wilbur does not let it all go to his head like some of the animals in the barn worried. When Wilbur first meets Charlotte is thinks she is going to be mean but she ends up saving his life. I also think the character of Fern is believable. She is a young girl that raises a pig and then goes to see him everyday once he is sold. I think that what she does and how she acts is very much like that of a young girl her age. The main idea of this book is the importance of friendship. ( )
  vboch1 | Mar 22, 2015 |
I enjoyed this chapter book for the three following reasons; the illustrations, the characters, and the plot. The illustrations throughout the book provided the reader with many depictions of the books two major settings, on the farm and at the county fair, perfectly. While Wilbur and Charlotte are traveling through their adventures with one another, the pictures provide a visual aid for the readers. One example of this is when Wilbur and Charlotte are at the fair, many photos were provided. This is great for some young children that have not been to a fair and have no knowledge about them. However, throughout the novel, the author provides illustrations for the readers to have a visualization of the beautiful scenery being depicted in the text. It is one thing to imagine the scenery being depicted and another to actually see what the author was imagining. The second thing I enjoyed were the characters in the story because they were well developed and easily relatable. The young girl, Fern, is a friendly animal lover. Wilbur is a rambunctious, caring and bashful pig. Charlotte is a wise, kindhearted, and loving spider. Throughout the novel, the characters change in many different ways. The final thing I enjoyed about this book was the plot. I found the plot to be well developed and the climax was great. Throughout reading the book, in the back of my mind, I always wondered if his owner would kill Wilbur. The main message of the story is the importance of friendship. This is a great book for young children who are looking for an interesting, well-developed book. ( )
  corzel1 | Mar 19, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,556,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible