Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1952)

by E. B. White

Member:Boeree-Kline
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Harper & Row Publishers, Inc. (1952), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 184 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

animals (688) chapter book (289) children (441) children's (785) children's books (107) children's classics (94) children's fiction (209) children's literature (419) classic (534) classics (311) E.B. White (79) fantasy (439) farm (371) farm animals (90) farm life (91) fiction (1,451) friendship (489) juvenile (124) juvenile fiction (95) kids (96) literature (102) Newbery (181) Newbery Honor (212) novel (122) own (84) pigs (479) read (230) spiders (470) talking animals (100) young adult (131)

Summary: A sensitive soul rescues a runt pig from being murdered. She cares for him, until it is time for "Wilbur" to go live on the farm. Wilbur escapes being slaughtered by having a rat, "Templeton," tear words out of newspapers to give to his friend. Wilbur's friend Charlotte, who is a spider, then spins a web with the word from the article in it. Wilbur gets the credit for all of the works and the farmer is convinced it is a genius pig.
Person Reaction: As a lover of all things that live, this story has touched me since I was a young girl. It was my first chapter book I remember not being able to put down. I am not sure if it is the comical talking animals, the quirky pig, or the softhearted soul of a little girl, maybe all three, but this story is a timeless classic. It is one that can be related to by any young person.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have the children look up a word in the dictionary and write it in their own spider web. Then they can learn the word and its meaning and use it in a sentence.
2. I can bring in a pig or goat of mine, something to represent the animals in the story. Maybe even a little spider.
  copeland86 | Jul 19, 2014 |
Summary
This book is about a little girl, Fern who saves the runt of the pig litter and raises him up until her father sales him to her uncle. She still goes and see the pig, Wilbur everyday. One day Wilbur finds out what is going to happen to him when he gets fat enough, he will be butchered. The pig makes friends with a friendly spider, Charlotte. Together they come up with a plan to save Wilbur. In the end Wilbur is save and Charlotte lays her eggs and parishes away. Wilbur takes the eggs and make sure they are safe.
Personal Reaction
This book is a classic and so popular. I have always loved this book and think it will always be around for children to enjoy for years to come!
Idea extensions
This book can be used to explain death of animal and how it is a natural thing.
It can teach things about farm life.
It also shows how children grow up, like how Fern became less interested in animals and more in a certain boy.
  christa15 | Jul 16, 2014 |
This is a great example of contemporary fiction. I remember reading this story. To me this book has a great message of how some people may not like you but the people that do will always be there for you. This book keeps the reader engaged with the colorful pictures and various characters. This book is a must read in the classroom to get the kids imagination going as well as teaching them good values. ( )
  loganbuttram330 | Jul 14, 2014 |
A classic children's story made famous by a cartoon. When you read it, it becomes obvious that adults are incredibly stupid by ignoring the brilliant spider. Ho-hum. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
I survived The Little Prince but Charlotte ... ლ(ಥ﹏ಥლ) ( )
  one-horse.library | Jul 9, 2014 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,530,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible