Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1952)

by E. B. White

Member:Boeree-Kline
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Harper & Row Publishers, Inc. (1952), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 184 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

Recently added byangw11, gvenezia, preplibrary
Legacy LibrariesH.D.

A great read for advanced students. This book tells the story about a spiderweb and a girl who tells her feelings for a little pig named Wilbur, who simply wants a friend. They also express the love of a girl named Fern, who saved Wilbur's life when he was born the runt of his litter.This book is a tender novel of friendship, love, life, and death. The author does a great job of making the language comprehensive and organized. She also makes the story interesting and relative. I would use this book in my classroom because it teaches the importance of having a companion. ( )
  eoertl1 | Dec 10, 2014 |
When I first ever heard the story of Charlotte's Web, it was in the movies. I thought the story was great, so late my mother bought the book for me. I did not want to read the book because I had already seen the movie, but one day I actually read the book and I find that I like doing that better. That was a long time ago, so when I picked the book up again, I was exciting and more willing to read it.
Charlotte's Web by E. B. White is a story of friendship. Charlotte, the heroine in the story, discovers that Wilbur will be slaughtered and in order to prevent that she spins praises in her web and does ultimately save him. I would read this story to first through third graders. I would have them name all the different types of animals found in the story and also give adjectives to describe them. ( )
  Nijania | Dec 4, 2014 |
This is the book that helped me love reading as a child. It is magical, inspiring, and sad all at once. It is a wonderful book to share with young writers and share with them the story of how E.B.White came up with the idea for the story. My young writers enjoy hearing that he did not sit down and simply start writing about a spider, but rather that he saw a spider one day in a bran, and made a note of that spider. Then, many years later, sat down and wrote Charlotte’s Web. It is important for students to know that even famous authors struggle with generating ideas, and they never know where the next one might be hiding. This is also a good book to discuss genres with students. I always have students who argue that this is realistic fiction because of Fern and the real people in it. After the discussion about animals talking, they usually agree that it is fantasy. Great read aloud or even a school play. ( )
  Taranto | Dec 2, 2014 |
This book is one of my favorites from my childhood. It is an easy read that many children enjoy and it is often brought into the classroom. It is about the main character Fern and how she saves her pig with the help from a spider. There is a lot of information about animals in this book that children do not always know before reading. For example, slaughter houses are introduced through this book. Fortunately, Wilbur the Pig does not have to go to a slaughter house because of Fern. ( )
  sconne7 | Dec 1, 2014 |
A book that tells the tale of an unlikely friendship between a pig (Wilbur) and a spider (Charlotte) in order to save Wilbur from becoming Christmas Dinner. A beloved read. I remember crying while reading this book and realizing for the first time in my life where my dinner (meat) came from. A classic for children. ( )
  lolhscybrarian | Dec 1, 2014 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,459,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible