Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1952)

by E. B. White

Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Info:Harper & Row Publishers, Inc. (1952), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 184 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

In my opinion, this is an excellent book. This book is a wonderful form of literature for several reasons; however, I think one of the main reasons is because of the descriptive writing. The author often uses vivid imagery to describe the setting. One stellar example of this is, “The barn was very large. It was very old. It smelled of hay and it smelled of manure. It smelled of the perspiration of tired horses and the wonderful sweet breath of patient cows. It often had a sort of peaceful smell—as through nothing bad could ever happen ever again in the world.” This is a wonderful example of the author’s vivid imagery and descriptions she uses when describing the setting to the reader. Additionally, the point of view is very interesting in this book, because it is told from the point of view from the pig, Wilbur. This is different from typical stories that involve animals and humans where the story is told from the human’s point of view. I like the example of “When I’m out here, there’s no place to go but in. When I’m indoors, there’s no place to go but out in the yard “ because it show the reader a different perspective from what they are used to. Overall, I think the big idea of this book is to cherish friendship because you will never know wheat will happen or when you will need your friends. ( )
  eyork1 | Oct 7, 2015 |
With Charlotte's Web, the author created a remarkable story of a friendship between a pig and a spider. It is a story about friendship, love and death. The story comprises a variety of believable characters. I had a good time reading Charlotte's Web - it is a very moving read. I was drawn into the story right away. The plot o the story flows well. Each chapter ends with a cliff hanger, leaving you wanting more. ( )
  rpotte5 | Oct 7, 2015 |
I loved this book. One reason that I loved this book was the wonderful characters. The reader really does grow attached to the characters by the end of the story. The characters, particularly Wilbur, Fern, and Charlotte were very relatable and lovable. These characters draw the reader in and make the reader want to keep reading to find out what happens to them. I also liked the way the author told the story. He used simple language to get the story across, but when he did use words that a young reader may not know, he explained the word in the text. I thought this was an interesting feature because it helps children understand what is going on without having to use an outside source. It allows children to be a little more independent and learn while reading a fun book. The main idea of this book is the importance of friendship. ( )
  lmorte1 | Oct 7, 2015 |
I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason is because of the language. I thought the way the author talked about the setting and described everything in the book made the reader feel like they were actually living it. In one the chapters, the author described Charlotte’s web as truly a thing of beauty and how it was decorated with tiny beads of water. He made the reader look at a spider web different than just scary and gross. Another reason why I liked this book was because of the character. Each character had their own personality even though most of them were animals. While reading the story, you could tell Charlotte was the caring friend while Wilbur was very humble. I think the main idea of the story was friendship. Throughout the book you got to see the friendship between all the animals, Fern and Wilbur and mostly between Charlotte and Wilbur. ( )
  athomp33 | Sep 23, 2015 |
I read this chapter book when I was a child and reading it again as an adult gives you a whole new outlook. I loved this book and how much you gain love for spiders and pigs that you didn't have before. This children chapter book is a tear jerker and really tugs on your heart. This book pushes readers to see what true friendship is all about. One quote I admired the most was "It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both." The writer really gets you engaged in whats going to happen next in the story that you won't want to put it down. When you read things like a spider writing words like "terrific" and "some pig" in a web you are eager to find out what's going to happen next. This is one of the best children chapter books I've ever read. ( )
  adepuy1 | Sep 23, 2015 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr
This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
Charlotte the spider
Saves Wilbur by inventing
Viral marketing. (jmeisen)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,849,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible