Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1952)

by E. B. White

Member:Boeree-Kline
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Info:

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Author) (1952)

1950s (85)

Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
I liked this book. I liked how relatable the characters were and how the story was written. Readers can relate to the traits the characters showed in the text such as being kind and feeling sad. Readers can relate to showing an act of kindness or having kindness displayed towards them just like when Charlotte befriends Wilbur. Charlotte is kind to Wilbur when the other barn animals are not. Readers can also relate to feelings of sadness when they read about Charlotte dying. The story was well written in many ways. I like how organized the authors writing was as each event was written clearly and had easy transitions throughout the text. For example when Charlotte first started making her webs, the reader could understand why she making the webs and how it affects the plot. The main message within this book is friendship. WIlbur and Charlotte showed how much they cared about one another in the book and how important their friendship meant to each other. ( )
  Shardy2 | Oct 15, 2014 |
Charlotte's Web is the classic tale that tells the story about Wilbur the pig. This fantasy includes talking animals that are experience human-like concerns from day to day. Wilbur grows to love his fellow animals on the farm, especially his dear friend Charlotte the spider. The story talks about friendship, sacrifice, and even covers the loss of a friend. A new version was recently written using more illustrations than the original story written by E.B. White.
  LoganBerglund | Oct 8, 2014 |
I just adore this book. I think that this is just such a great book for kids to read and to learn the value of friendship through literature. I think this is one of the best books for children and one that all children should read growing up. ( )
  Andymcclellan_93 | Oct 6, 2014 |
Overall, I think that Charlotte's web is a great book that is suitable for many different age groups. For younger children, this is a book that could be read to them because of the difficult vocabulary. For example, there were words like gorge and carousing that a young child might not be able to understand. With such a rich vocabulary in this book, this could create a challenge for children that are older. Also, this book teaches a few lessons. For example, it gives children the idea about loyalty and what it takes to be a good friend. The relationship that Charlotte and Wilbur developed let's children know that it is okay to be friends with people that are different than them. Their relationship also teaches children that love can come in many different ways and can take place in many different relationships. This book gives lessons indirectly in the story. This ( )
  abenne6 | Sep 25, 2014 |
"Charlotte's Web" is a classic story about a wise spider. An extension would be to discuss with the class a time when they helped out a friend by using their skills.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

This book has liveliness and felicity, tenderness and unexpectedness, grace and humor and praise of life, and the good backbone of succinctness that only the most highly imaginative stories seem to grow.

White, E. B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,354,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible