Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 1990)

by E. B. White, GArth Williams (Illustrator)

Member:LeighNewton
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:GArth Williams (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic, Incorporated (1990), Paperback

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

Robin (5)
Read (15)

English (844)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (846)
A little girl adopts a pig named Wilbur. Wilbur is the runt but the little girl saves him from being slaughtered. Wilbur finds out that he could be slaughtered in the winter time, a spider spells words into a web for him and he becomes famous.

This book is a classic children's book and I after I re-read it, it is very easy to see why. The friendship between Charlotte and Wilbur will touch anyone that reads this book. The story teaches children about loyalty, friendship, and loss. This will be in my classroom library! ( )
  KailiMarion | Dec 9, 2018 |
Novel. This story is focused on a pig named Wilbur. When Wilbur is born he was almost slaughtered by Arable (father of Fern) because he is the runt of the litter, however Fern stops him and keeps Wilbur as a pet. But when Wilbur gets to big Fern sells him to her uncle where Wilbur meets many new friends including Charlotte the spider. Word gets out that the uncle wants to kill Wilber so Charlotte spins multiple webs saying how special Wilbur is. Fascinated by how special the pig is they take Wilbur to the county fair where everyone there sees how special he is and Wilbur wins a prize. However it is around this time we find out Charlotte is dying and won't get her 500+ babies back to the farm where they will be safer. So as a thank you to Charlotte Wilbur takes the egg sack so that all the babies are able to be born on the farm. ( )
  Nick1009 | Dec 3, 2018 |
Another classic in my mind. It is a story about friendship, love, and hard work. I think that every child should read this book because it is so wonderful ( )
  Indiam16 | Nov 27, 2018 |
Charlotte loves her pet pig but soon he gets too big and has to send hom to live else where. Howver, charlotte finds out that the pig may be cooked. This book touches on friendship and is a great story for students to practice reading comprehension skills. Students can summarize, sequence, or act out the story to help with reading comprehension. ( )
  KarenGarcia | Nov 27, 2018 |
I have always loved these books since i was a little kid and i enjoyed this book ( )
  Rileyholcomb | Nov 27, 2018 |

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DiCamillo, KateForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas, HazelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In Earth unworthy,
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

E. B. White's book CHARLOTTE’S WEB was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,696,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible